Clawhound

First Post
I'd like to see some "historical" classes:

- Swashbuckler/Pirate (striker)
- Musketeer (defender)
- Grenadier (controller/striker?)
- Inventor (controller)
- Spy (striker)

And whatever it takes to round that out for the Age of Sail.

Last edited:

JosephK

First Post
I'm hankering for a summoner/demonologist as well.. Hopefully something akin to the malconvoker from complete scoundrel.. Also, another class I'd like to see, the binder class. Really like the feel and mechanics of that one, thirdly I thought the fluff/feel of the truenamer class was awesome. Unfortunately it was hideously underwhelming and limited when I got around to actually playing one.

EDIT: Spelling/missing words :/

Last edited:

Set

First Post
Druids - the idea of different types, some specializing in Wild Shaping, some in Summoning nature critters, some in weather effects, etc. could be neat.

Necromancers - hordes of critters, that's what I like.

Summoners/Conjurors - not so much hordes of critters, but occasional OMG huge critters (who summoned the Balor! Send it back!).

Masterminds - martial version of the summoner / necromancer. He's got a horde, but they aren't supernatural people, their just dudes with swords, and he doesn't cast spells on them, he just inspires them with his own personal charisma, motivational words and tactical acumen. Is he a Striker? With his minions, he can certainly put out the damage numbers. Is he a Battlefield Controller? He can certainly take up a chunk of the board and restrict foes movements.

I inevitably choose the 'pet classes.' It's a niche, and the Druid, Cleric and Wizard are my favorite classes in 3.5 because of it, as I can always summon allies, gain a Companion or animate / command some flunkies. Ideally, the minions would be useful (in the way that the Druids Animal Companion is useful, and the Ranger's Animal Companion or the Wizards Animated Dead are not useful), without the mastermind class itself having the huge raft of abilities in addition to minions that the Cleric, Druid and Wizard tend to have.

SuperJosh

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Hmm... I would like to see:

-Beguiler
-Swashbuckler
-Gunslinger (dual revolver style)...
OK, that got me thinking about how cool a gunslinger would be, later on someone mentioned they could be a controller/striker, so here is my take at it. All 1 whopping levels! It is mostly a merging of the ranger and wizard, but I made a few (very few) adjustments. Anyway suggestions are more than welcome. I will probably finish it up (you know the other 29 levels.:)) after 4e is officially released.

Gunslinger

You live by your wits and your reflexes. You know the only two things you can trust in this world are strapped to your hips.

Role: Striker/controller.
Power Source: Martial
Key Abilities: Dex, Con, Wis

Armor Prof: Cloth, Leather
Weapon Prof: Simple melee, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged
Bonus to Defense: +1 Ref, +1 will

HP at 1st: 12+Con Score
HP per level gained: 5
Healing surges per day: 6 plus con mod

Trained skills: Choose 4 of the following
Acrobatics, Athletics, History, Insight, Perception, Stealth, Streetwise.

Class Features:
Rapid Reloader: As a minor action you can reload both your pistols.
Pistol Whip: You can use your pistols as rudimentary clubs without damaging them: Str vs AC, 1d4+ str

Powers:
At-Will
Deadly Volley Gunslinger Attack 1
The old adage "Accuracy by volume" brings on new meaning as you pepper the area with bullets.
At-Will*Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 20 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Special: both your pistols must be fully loaded (a minor action) to use this skill.
Attack: Dex vs Reflex
Hit: 1d8 +dex damage.

Run 'n Gun Gunslinger Attack 1
Only a sucker stands there waiting to be hit by a sword or worse, you prefer to move along.
At-Will*Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Target: One Creature
Special: Shift 1 square before or after you attack
Attack:Dex+weapon vs AC
Hit: [wep]+dex damage

Pistol Whip: Gunslinger Feature
You can use your pistols as rudimentary clubs without damaging them
At-Will*Martial, Weapon
Standard Action pistol
Target: One creature
Attack: Str vs AC
Hit: 1d4+ str

Encounter
Hail of Bullets Gunslinger Attack 1
You fire a series of shots at your foe... even if you do not kill him, will not be walking right afterwards.
Encounter*martian, weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Weapon+dex vs Reflex
Hit: 2[wep]+dex damage, and the target takes a -dex penalty to attack until the end of your next turn.

Daily
Two Shots, Two kills
Calling on your innate ability to predict your enemies actions as well as your familiarity with your weapons, you fire off 2 rounds with eerie accuracy.
Daily*Martial, weapon
Standard action Ranged Weapon
Targets: Two creatures within 3 squares of each other
Attack: Dex+weapon vs. AC. Make two attack rolls, take the better result and apply it to bot targets.
Hit: 2[wep]+dex damage.

Clawhound

First Post
Cool gunslinger.

By reflavoring, many classes become available. Kit bashing can cover a huge percentage of most classes.

I've considered an alchemist/inventory. A reflavored wizard does most of the job. Add in a few warlock bits, and you have a new thing.

SuperJosh

First Post
Thanks, yea this is 1/2 ranger, 1/4 wizard, 1/4 warlock. I think I am going to work on it a bit more tonight. I want to make it a bit more original than it is now. It started out as a straight reflavoring then as I worked on it got more original content in it, I wold like to keep going in that direction.

Also think I am going to make rapid reload into a move action as opposed to a minor action. Eventually it will become a minor action, maybe at 11, once you are a paragon? I was thinking of Roland of Gilead when I made it a minor, but I think he was at least a paragon, probably epic, so I will leave something to look forward to.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
One thing for the Gunslinger you could do to show off its dual-wielding is:

Class Features:

Deadly Partners:
The chances of you dealing harm to your opponent increases when you aim both revolvers at it.
Level Attack Roll Bonus
1-10: +4 to Attack Roll
11-20: + 6 to Attack Roll
21-30: + 8 to Attack Roll

Crisscrossing Fire:
You fire at two opponents when normally you could only fire at one, but your chances of hitting diminishes.
Level Attack Roll Negatives
1-10: -2 to Attack Roll
11-20: -6 to Attack Roll
21-30: -10 to Attack Roll

As for powers, not putting numbers since bad at them. Probably numbers above are bad to. But ideas:

Running the Gauntlet: Per Encounter
You shift a total of 6 squares dealing out damage to each opponent you pass.

Shooting the Ace: Per Encounter
Effect: You kick up a cloud of dust (or cards) stunning those within 2 Burst radius.
Secondary Hit: You fire out of the dust into one of the opponents.

SuperJosh

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions Fallen Seraph, I am hesitant to do anything that really showcases dual wielding right now since we do not have any inkling of how it is going to work, although you first suggestion seems reasonable.

I really like your 2nd power, Shooting the Ace. I think that will make an appearance in V0.2

Rechan

Adventurer
One thing that makes a striker is that they get a damage boost under certain circumstances.

Warlocks: Curse
Ranger: Quarry
Rogues: Sneak attack.

So something that is situational for the gunslinger might assist.

Remove ads