D&D 5E 4 Horsemen

KRussellB

First Post
Have the players slowly find out throughout the campaign that they are the four horseman. Only really confirming it at the very end. Maybe they are led to believe they are here to protect the world from them, but then discover that the world must end so that others can live. And it will be their job to end their own world.

On the other hand, what if you start the campaign with the characters knowing they're the four horsemen? For some reason, they've lost their powers, and throughout the campaign are trying to get it back. The campaign ends with them finally causing the end of the world!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Presuming a typical "high[ish] fantasy, magical world, devoid of real world religious mythoi, I say you make the mythic figures your own.

Turn it on its head. They are arriving (according to some prophecy or the other), from no one -not even the deities- knows where, and they are going to "destroy the world." But what people don't immediately know/understand is, they are looking to destroy the world...that exists. They are coming to "conquer." To take charge. To reorder this chaotic and violent world under their nigh unstoppable thumbs (and, perhaps in the case of one or two, heels). They aren't "death, pestilence, war, famine" but those all may [or will] certainly erupt in their wake.

Four entities, mounted upon diverse creatures (a draconic-breath weapon and all-wyvern, a pegasus with billowing stormclouds as mane and tail, giant griffon-with blue striped tiger body, and snow-leopard/silver dragon version of a dragonne, come to mind, off the top of my head). They are shining, celestial-seeming, in their beauty and the obvious power/otherworldly nature of their vestments/armor, weapons and gear. Two male, two female. Armed with an assortment of weapons and all, obviously, with magical abilities.

For me, this sounds like a "start" of a campaign, not an ending.

Enkhidu

Explorer
If your party consists of an American cleric of the God of Dream, a champion fighter wielding a russian sickle, and a pair of Battlerager dwarves clad in spiked armor and facepaint... the best place for them to fight the Four Horsemen is in a fully-enclosed double steel cage.

I love this post so much.

Remove ads