• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4 roles - why 5 players?

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Someone has to carry the gold.

comics_nodwick.jpg

Festivus

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
Hmm. I'd guess for two reasons.
1) D&D groups typically have 5 players (don't know if this is true or not).
2) There were 4 traditional roles, warrior, thief, mage, priest. While 4e changes these roles, I guess they want to stick at least somewhat with the old way.

I know I aim for 5 players, that way if someone can't make it, the other four are likely to, and thus less cancelled sessions due to insufficient numbers of players.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Ryan Stoughton said:
Exactly like the title. If there are 4 roles to be covered, why will 4e expect 5 players?

Because with the average of D&D players increasing, you have to anticipate at least one person being missing for every session due to RL issues.

frankthedm

First Post
Ryan Stoughton said:
Exactly like the title. If there are 4 roles to be covered, why will 4e expect 5 players?
Because there are NOT 4 roles to be covered. That is the main issue. There are four roles that each class is one of, but the important thing is that a party in 4e does not need to have those roles covered, so it currently seems. A party might consist of all strikers and defenders or some other combo and still be roughly able to handle the things a party with all four roles covered.

Last edited:

Wanderer20

First Post
Because they think that the butche...err simplified rules will add 1 casual gamer to every party of 4.

Someway it's a strategic decision: start the game with 5 PCs, and when one will leave you remain with all roles covered :D

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Variant roles?

backup?

Multiclassed guy?

That could be anything... and in anyway... The size of parties in the d&d videogames always was 4-6, as far I know. There was 'duplicates' - with variations, and multiclassed guys.

Who never had put a second warrior as a barb or paladin maybe, or a fighter/cleric, or... etc...

Remove ads