4E Class Survivor - Round 12

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Avenger

Votes: 62 41.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • Fighter

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Ranger

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Wizard

Votes: 17 11.3%

• Poll closed .

Dice4Hire

First Post
Once we get rid of the Avenger, then it will be a close race. Not sure what I will go for next, butthe Avenger is in my sights till he goes down.

Sucks that he is on the far side of the chasm, and doesn'st get his double roll with his bow.

Or that my minion ran off with his Oath of Enenimity ten rounds ago.

Cadfan

First Post
I didn't vote for the Avenger. But I had, it would be because

1. Its core ability is its oath, which is compatible only with melee attacks, and so many of its attacks are ranged without also being awesome enough to justify not getting to role twice.

2. It frequently attempts to dissuade enemies from performing certain actions, and does so so effectively that all of the encounter, daily, and utility powers that help dissuade enemies even more are rendered redundant.

3. Many of its powers grant mobility, but it often has enough mobility that even more is unnecessary.

Victim

First Post
I didn't vote for the Avenger. But I had, it would be because

1. Its core ability is its oath, which is compatible only with melee attacks, and so many of its attacks are ranged without also being awesome enough to justify not getting to role twice.

2. It frequently attempts to dissuade enemies from performing certain actions, and does so so effectively that all of the encounter, daily, and utility powers that help dissuade enemies even more are rendered redundant.

3. Many of its powers grant mobility, but it often has enough mobility that even more is unnecessary.

Yeah, I'd agree that the avenger has some issues. Ironically, it seems to me like an avenger would often want off discipline powers. If you're a pursuit avenger, taking pursuit powers is just too much. You don't need to punish them twice for moving away; they're not going to do it too often. They're better off taking retribution powers to damage attackers. Then you'll usually get at least one bonus, since they're in trouble if they book it, and also in trouble if they counter attack or get friends to help bail them out.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
"so many of its attacks".. huh?
I've built a number of avengers and barely noticed it had any ranged powers at all.... (looks like less than 10 percent with some levels not having any ranged powers at all.)

Looks like the range powers are there so you end up less than totally useless if you cant reach the enemy (but then there is always the paragon path that gives you flight at level 16).

Cadfan

First Post
"so many of its attacks".. huh?
I've built a number of avengers and barely noticed it had any ranged powers at all.... (looks like less than 10 percent with some levels not having any ranged powers at all.)

Looks like the range powers are there so you end up less than totally useless if you cant reach the enemy (but then there is always the paragon path that gives you flight at level 16).
There's a fair number of them. They're easily avoided because there are even more melee attacks, but there's a fair number of them. They're conveniently incompatible with every class ability the Avenger has.

It would be nice to say that they exist to help for when you can't reach the enemy, but... you're an Avenger. Unless your enemy flies, mobility really shouldn't be a problem. And the difference between a power that's compatible with your oath and your bond, and a power that's incompatible with both, is enormous.

There really should have been a built in bonus for avenger ranged attacks to make up for that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There's a fair number of them. They're easily avoided because there are even more melee attacks, but there's a fair number of them. They're conveniently incompatible with every class ability the Avenger has.

It would be nice to say that they exist to help for when you can't reach the enemy, but... you're an Avenger. Unless your enemy flies

usually true which is why its very likely an Avenger gets built without much range powers

mobility really shouldn't be a problem. And the difference between a power that's compatible with your oath and your bond, and a power that's incompatible with both, is enormous.

There really should have been a built in bonus for avenger ranged attacks to make up for that.
Can't say I dont agree with you .... on that. Just noticed "Focused Fury" myself... it is a weapon attack versatile of range which if the target is your OE... you are able to push an adjacent non-oath target 2 squares. (help you get isolation perhaps). I am picture one hand hurling one guy back and the other smashing your oath....or at range spinning your bola around fending back one guy and firing the stone at another.

This would be better if the enemy... movement away was prior to resolving the hit ;-)

Last edited:

Remove ads