4E Class Survivor - Round 13

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Barbarian

Votes: 38 22.8%
  • Fighter

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Ranger

Votes: 59 35.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Wizard

Votes: 20 12.0%

• Poll closed .

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The Ranger's fluff text is boring, apprently. At least that's the argument of the people voting against him.

I thought 4E was all about "you make your own fluff text." Whatever happened to that? Ranger does his striker thing, and does it well, and gives a viable build for two-weapon fighting Musashi's and arrow shooting Robin Hoods. I found the flavor text for most of the classes in 4E to be short, barely descriptive, and uninspiring. What is it about the Ranger that makes it worse in this than all the others? Is it because they have one at will thats worth using over any other at will on their list 95% of the time? If your battles are lasting so long that you blew your encounter powers and have been using at wills for half a dozen rounds...the "boring problem" isn't with the Ranger...

Herschel

Adventurer
The Ranger's fluff text is boring, apprently. At least that's the argument of the people voting against him.

It's not the fluff that's boring, it's the class in play. Many archer ranger players sit back and spam Twin Strike or a power that's a variation of it, don't help dispurse damage throughout the party and don't do squat other than "I duz damage, I pwns!". I think it's partially the class and partially the perceived mentality of many who play it from anecdotal observation.

Nightson

First Post
I played a paragon ranger. Straight up damage build. I was highly effective, if I shot things they would die, but it was very, very boring and I am sad I wasted my paragon character on the ranger.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, beyond about 5th level. At about that level in other versions, the fighters starts to suck wind, pretty hard, and becomes a spectator in the game.

I also like that the rituals are just as available to the fighter. Yes, it would take an incredible amount of feats, but it could be done.

heheh... your idea of incredible is kind of incredible... ;) I
in fact there are so many ways of doing it with 1, I am quite surprised.
... how good one wants to be at rituals and which rituals is the other part of the question... me I like nature rituals...
So building a Strength Wisdom fighter works pretty well with it...
Take Travelling Missionary to get religion skill for your background (that will go with the wisdom) maybe just enough INT so I can take learned spell caster feat that will give me the nature skill and ritual caster effect out of the deal Yup 1 feat. I could also pump the intelligence and use light armor... but taking just what I need and letting the rest stay in CON and Wis works, as scale is nice right out of the sack. Use Wisdom plus the right feats for some nasty but fun "smart" fighter damage. .. Wary fighter will let me use wisdom for initiative as well as a couple other skill boosts.

Anyway... above I did pick one of the backgrounds that are equivalent to a feat(from Scales of War), but all you need is religion or arcana added as a class skill and train it. Intelligent fighter is a tougher sell... but wisdom works fairly nicely. There are actually enough (no check) rituals.. that even low skills will work.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
In a very close vote, the ranger has to leave, although the barbarian has taken some lumps.

Will the barbarian say goodbye next round, or will the votes for the ranger go to an "also-ran" contender. The barbarian was an also-ran the round before this, so we'll see with the next round.

Interestingly enough, if we had lost the barbarian, we would have a top 5 completely made of martial and arcane classes.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
The Ranger has sadly now left us. This hurts me deeply, you know. He was quiet, and perhaps a little dull at times, but he got the job done quickly and efficiently. After all, not everybody can be flamboyant and flashy, if you know what I mean.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
It's not the fluff that's boring, it's the class in play. Many archer ranger players sit back and spam Twin Strike or a power that's a variation of it, don't help dispurse damage throughout the party and don't do squat other than "I duz damage, I pwns!". I think it's partially the class and partially the perceived mentality of many who play it from anecdotal observation.

Then why didn't they vote against the Rogue? Seriously, Rogues have the same myopic damage focus with the additional reputation of being loot-mongers who cause more inter party conflict than any other class!

Herschel

Adventurer
Because rogues need combat advantage to be most effective and that takes a lot more positioning and tactical movement. They also soak their share of damage.

renau1g

First Post

This. Most rangers I've seen, play them without even trying to tap into their natural background/connection, treating them as fighters with a bow. I know they're martial, but they just stand their *pew, pew* I twin strike. They're the least team player in the game, again this is my view of them. We joke that it took about 6 sessions or so (pretty much completed the Scepter Tower of Spellgard) before our ranger was even bloodied once! We'd have to rest and he'd barely be scratched.

Remove ads