4E Class Survivor - Round 13

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Barbarian

Votes: 38 22.8%
  • Fighter

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Ranger

Votes: 59 35.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Wizard

Votes: 20 12.0%

• Poll closed .

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sad that we are seeing the classes slowly wittled down to the classic Fighter, Rogue, Wizard ... only one missing is the cleric. I wondered what would have happened if you had included Elf and Dwarf as classes. I guess it takes all sorts of colours to make a rainbow... but its disappointing to see such a bland spread of classes heading to the final.
I noticed that. It seems to suggest that "more awesomeness" doesn't necessarily make a good character class. (Or at least that cool tricks and spiffy abilities aren't as important as having a logical premise and workable idiom.)

Last edited:

Blackbrrd

First Post
Nope. Never seen anyone play a Fighter or Fighter equivalent in *any* game that didn't dumpstat INT and CHA or the equivalent thereof and have a character personality less engaging than a slab of rotten meat. It has been, consistently, the bastion of people who don't want to RP or think.

Which in 3.5, the latter especially hurt, since fighters that weren't powergamed to hell sucked horrifically.

4e makes them suck less, but they're still boring concept-wise, and I'm sick of hearing about how they're the best Defender because omg damage there is nothing else in the game but damage.

Zzzzz.

Got a stereotype Dwarven Battlevigor Fighter in my current party. He does a nice job of portraying a dwarf that likes to fight. Anything but archers that is. The best fight was the one with all skeleton archers and he just ran away because he really hates getting shot at. :D The rest of the characters teased him about that for quite some time. He dumpstatted INT or CHA. I don't remember which one. He is kinda wise though. ;)

Personally the character I would least like to play is the Ranger. I have seen the archer-ranger in play and I think I would have gotten really bored from just helping focus-fire on something. He can get shut down quite by the immobilized effect too, which I don't like. He is very strong mechanically, but I don't like him. Twin shot is too good to even ponder the other at-wills if not necessary.

I am playing a wizard and thinks he is a bit half-assed, but that is because I made him with just the PHB. If I had the current selection, I would have done some changes. Did you say Genasi? :D

The sorcerer would have been my second pick, so I guess I will kick his ass the next time.

Btw, we have come so far now that I would be happy to play them all.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Sad that we are seeing the classes slowly wittled down to the classic Fighter, Rogue, Wizard ... only one missing is the cleric. I wondered what would have happened if you had included Elf and Dwarf as classes. I guess it takes all sorts of colours to make a rainbow... but its disappointing to see such a bland spread of classes heading to the final.

Think ice cream - maybe it's just easier to change vanilla into what you like (add: choc chips, peanut butter cups, caramel, mint, cookies or something else etc) than strawberry marshmellow peanut toffee crunch, eh?

Nai_Calus

First Post
Think ice cream - maybe it's just easier to change vanilla into what you like (add: choc chips, peanut butter cups, caramel, mint, cookies or something else etc) than strawberry marshmellow peanut toffee crunch, eh?

I detest vanilla, because no matter what you add to it, it still tastes like vanilla with x added... And I don't like how vanilla tastes. (Or smells!)

I leave it out when I bake things, even.

Would much rather start with chocolate ice cream than add chocolate syrup to vanila. I either end up with vanilla with some chocolate flavour here and there, or a vanilla/chocolate milkshake since it melts halfway when I stir the syrup in. Neither is appealing to me.

Which proves nothing other than that no matter what analogy you use, there's always *some* wiseass who has to pipe up about how it totally doesn't apply to them, because... ;)

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
I detest vanilla, because no matter what you add to it, it still tastes like vanilla with x added... And I don't like how vanilla tastes. (Or smells!)

I leave it out when I bake things, even.

Would much rather start with chocolate ice cream than add chocolate syrup to vanila. I either end up with vanilla with some chocolate flavour here and there, or a vanilla/chocolate milkshake since it melts halfway when I stir the syrup in. Neither is appealing to me.

Which proves nothing other than that no matter what analogy you use, there's always *some* wiseass who has to pipe up about how it totally doesn't apply to them, because... ;)

Sorry you don't like vanilla..

Keep in mind that that I'm not modeling data for scientific analysis - I'm not trying to "prove" anything - just to throw out a possibility for why the 'plain' type classes wind up surviving the others in a random internet poll.

Dausuul

Legend
I noticed that. It seems to suggest that "more awesomeness" doesn't necessarily make a good character class. (Or at least that cool tricks and spiffy abilities aren't as important as having a logical premise and workable idiom.)

Yup, I think this sums it up. There's a reason why fighter, rogue, wizard, and cleric are the "classic" classes.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
*shakes his head* - so much dps-envy going around here..

Yup.

I decided a day ago to not vote Barb just to save the Ranger, because there's nothing really wrong with the Barb. But wow...

I think voting for Fighter like I did this round is pointless. He doesn't deserve to be a top class, but it's hardly the first time the majority is wrong. I guess I'll go back to cracking away at Wizard. His role is actually useful, but he fails at it. It's sad Wizard's going to outlast Sorcerer, though.

Glyfair

Explorer
looks like its coming down to the wire with barb and ranger, which is ridiculous, because barbarians are 100x more interesting and fun to play than Rangers.
First, as we can see taste vary. I find the barbarian to be a mess.

Also, a large percentage of those here are DMs and look at it from that POV. In my case, I found the rangers in my games to have been a lot more interesting that the barbarians that are typically played by min-max powergamers (which may vary from group to group, but that's my experience).

Remove ads