• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Contest - Prove Nate Wrong Finalists - You help decide winners!

Which Entry abuses 3.5 Power Attack the most?

• Entry A

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Entry B

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Entry C

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Entry D

Votes: 30 73.2%

• Poll closed .

Najo

First Post
buller..buller...anyone...buller

Are the characters to much for people to take in and discuss? All of the 4e excitment taking the thunder for these contest finalists?

Come on peeps, lets have a little love this way :p

PHGraves

First Post
While D definitely abuses Power Attack (to the point where the character sheet would have to be cleansed by fire), I had to vote for A.

My main reason:
Najo said:
2. Describe in clear instruction how your character abuses Power Attack. We are looking for controlled and consistant mathematical averages that show how much power your level 20 character has. Ultimately, a high average hit percantage and damage out put against CR 20 monsters is what we are looking for. We want to be left shaking in our boots how hard and reliable your character uses Power Attack.

While D puts up obscene numbers against one specific type of foe, it cannot replicate this consistently against even the smallest sample of CR20 foes.

B and C both put up impressive numbers, but each of them requires much more set-up for each fight.

A was much simpler (there is something refreshing about the "I just charge in and hit things" approach).

EonEdge

First Post
I am amazed by the breaking of the game by D, and yet I see a very simple improvement that takes game shattering to a whole new level.

Soul Crystal. By adding the soul crystal power (and maybe even psychic reformation, psychic chiuragy) D could not never even touch his daily power points, but he could give every character in his group all of his buffs and healing abilities, as well as offensive capabilities, and with psychic reformation, every psionic power of 8th level or lower.

that's sick, because even with all his power, if he shares soul crystals with everyone else, he would actualy become the weakest member of the group. that's broken

Last edited:

They are all pretty interesting.
A "wins" for me in the sense of creating something that looks at least like something I could play in game without feeling overly cheesy.
B looks okay, but doesn't overwhelm me (except that this is a real "controller" ;) )
Cs charm seems to be going against a ridiculous monster - I don't know it, but 100 Attacks as a fullround action, is that really true?
But D definitely looks the worst abuse. You're not using power attack to deal damage, you use it cheat yourself some power points! It can really not get much more abusive...

Commonblade

First Post
Something about Entry D was bugging me; it just seemed like too much of a good thing. So I went to see if WOTC had dropped any errata on it.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata

Page 165: Mindfeeder Weapon Quality
The second sentence should be changed as follows:
Once per day, a mindfeeder weapon grants its wielder
temporary power points equal to the total lethal damage
dealt by a successful critical hit. The wielder must
decide to use the mindfeeder ability after successfully
confirming a critical hit, but prior to rolling critical hit
damage.
Add the following sentence after the third sentence:
The wielder may not exceed his natural maximum
power points per day using the mindfeeder ability.

Based on the errata I really don’t think this exploit will work anymore. The PC won’t even be able to recharge as the Temporary Power Points only last 10 min. Does anyone have any other errata that counter act this?

PHGraves

First Post
Yowch, Commonblade. That does seem to invalidate D.

Of course, you now have me wondering if there is errata on the others....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads