• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You Can Pick Your Nose, and Pick Your Attorney, But Don't Pick Your Attorney's Nose

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Not enough people remember this movie, let alone reference it ❤️

Completely agree. No other movie capture the "punk zeitgeist" in America at that time as well (fictional movies, let's leave Penelope Spheeris out of this).

The weird thing is that after that, you would've expected that the director would go on to great, or at least interesting, things. Instead, while he was responsible for Sid & Nancy, the 1987 film Straight to Hell ended up being a fitting title, as it described where his Hollywood career went.

Fun fact- he co-wrote the screenplay for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but was replaced as the director by Terry Gilliam. Honestly, can't say that was a bad decision.

Ryujin

Legend
Completely agree. No other movie capture the "punk zeitgeist" in America at that time as well (fictional movies, let's leave Penelope Spheeris out of this).

The weird thing is that after that, you would've expected that the director would go on to great, or at least interesting, things. Instead, while he was responsible for Sid & Nancy, the 1987 film Straight to Hell ended up being a fitting title, as it described where his Hollywood career went.

Fun fact- he co-wrote the screenplay for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but was replaced as the director by Terry Gilliam. Honestly, can't say that was a bad decision.
Another fun fact, I girl that I was seeing occasionally, at the time the movie was released, was the spitting image of Debbi.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Recently, my neighbors and I successfully petitioned our local zoning board to deny a permit to a couple who wanted to turn a house that they owned on our street (and which wasn't their primary residence; they live in another city altogether) into an airbnb. Shockingly, we won, and the permit was denied.

The couple had thirty days to challenge the ruling in circuit court, and they eventually elected to do so, filing on day thirty. They also retained an attorney, and while I don't know when in that month-long window they hired him, I was aware that he was a solo practitioner, despite having worked at four different law firms in the last five years. I also couldn't find any cases where he hadn't worked with someone as counsel, i.e. he didn't seem to have much of a record of working on his own.

The consequences of which came into play almost immediately.

See, in my state, there's a rule on the books that basically says that when you file in court regarding a zoning issue, the complaint must be made by all of the entities (i.e. individuals and businesses) who own the piece of land in question. And while the wife of the couple had been the one to file for the permit with the zoning board (which was allowable as per the zoning board's own regulations), she was also the only one in whose name the complaint was made.

Which was really something their attorney should have caught.

Especially since the judge that the case ended up in front of had made a ruling on this exact same issue six months prior, dismissing another case (itself also appealing a denial of a permit) for failing to file on behalf of all the property owners.

Of course, the government attorney (on behalf of the zoning board) knew that, and so when they filed a motion to dismiss, that couple's attorney (well, really just the wife's attorney, since she'd left her husband's name off of it) found himself in the unenviable position of having to tell the judge "no, no, your honor, this is completely different from that case you dismissed six months ago. In that case, the landowners weren't married, and under state law a married couple is considered a single unit, and so having one spouse's name on the complaint is the legal equivalent of having them both on there."

It got worse when he started trying to define the word "the" in the context of "the landowners." Yes, really.

Needless to say, the government's motion to dismiss was granted, and to date the couple has yet to receive their permit. Something which they might have avoided if they'd found a better lawyer.

Clint_L

Legend
School. Some schools are better than others. Is every Harvard Juris Douche better than every graduate from the Correspondence University of Law, Fisheries, and Combs? No. But this gives you a general idea of how smart the person was before they became another dumb ambulance chaser.
One of my best buddies, (we met through D&D in 8th Grade) went to law school when I chose grad school, and now he's a partner at one of Canada's biggest law firms, and I get to enjoy having teenagers condescend to me about my wardrobe.

Anyway, I have an alum who is currently doing her Doctor of Laws at Harvard and I was asking Steve about what that meant from his perspective. He told me it is very impressive, but his firm doesn't hire Harvard Law graduates. Apparently, they do a yearly performance analytics of all their associates, and have found Harvard Law graduates to be a poor investment because they are prone to only sticking around for a few years before they go off to write a novel, or start an organic farm, or climb Mt. Everest, or something.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Sooo... It's safe to construe everything said in this thread as legal advice?

3208ccee-79ba-4032-b610-5214fe8604ce_text.gif

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
More seriously:
This seems like very helpful advice to (begin to) evaluate attorneys when you've got a list to work from. But how do you generate that list of relevant prospective lawyers to vet in the first place?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
More seriously:
This seems like very helpful advice to (begin to) evaluate attorneys when you've got a list to work from. But how do you generate that list of relevant prospective lawyers to vet in the first place?
Well, if you're starting completely from scratch, try entering your city of residence into Martindale-Hubbell:

Ryujin

Legend
More seriously:
As with the Law Society of Ontario website, that I posted a link to, State Bar Associations have public resources for lawyer referral. You can also just look around for local law offices and then vet them through the methods provided, along with the referral tools.

More seriously:

My professional opinion is to start with the Yellow Pages.

Remove ads