[4e] covaithe's E1: Death's Reach

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yeah, Uganon had some nasty damage output. The naga's poison effect was nasty too - ongoing damage or save and get dazed. Good to hear we're making some progress, though :)

As an aside, I'm really noticing how much less mobile Sarenax is compared the rest of the party, especially with the nagas' difficult terrain aura. May have to look into fixing that.

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
I'm really developing a new respect for the amount of stuff you have to track at high levels in 4e.

Things were looking kind of rough there for a couple of rounds. I feel kind of bad, if Kylek hadn't disengaged when he did Sarenax might not have gotten so roughed up. I didn't expect the naga to get loose and I forgot Batin was stuck up on the wall where he couldn't help finish off the dog.

covaithe, what do you want to do about Reaper's Touch, it seems it has been changed to shadar-kai only. Leave it as is, or I could swap it for Sorcerous Blade Channeling (if you accept that Dragonfrost becomes an MBA with it, it makes very little change to the way Kylek operates other than a slight hit to accuracy), or something else.

covaithe

Explorer
covaithe, what do you want to do about Reaper's Touch, it seems it has been changed to shadar-kai only. Leave it as is, or I could swap it for Sorcerous Blade Channeling (if you accept that Dragonfrost becomes an MBA with it, it makes very little change to the way Kylek operates other than a slight hit to accuracy), or something else.

Is it generally accepted that SBC makes Dragonfrost an MBA? I can see that being controversial. It seems a little on the powerful side, for an MBA. Maybe that's just Kylek, though?

I'd generally like to stay pretty close to rules as written here, which means we do need to do something about Reaper's Touch. And whatever other recent errata affected characters here. Now's the time to look those through and make changes, if needed.

Which reminds me; WD, can you send me a current char builder file for BKT, if you have one? I'd just as soon not have to go through rebuilding him myself.

renau1g

First Post
I believe the jury's out on whether SBC allows Dragonfrost as an MBA. I believe a lot of the boards mention, ask your DM about it.

Oni

First Post
Hurm, I haven't really been keeping up the way I used to with the rules minutia. Used to be people were kind of divided on that, I'll look around and see if there is a definitive answer one way or the other. Though I'm kind of hoping it's yes, I like the idea of Kylek being kind of physical.

Oni

First Post
Ok, the prevailing opinion on the WotC boards nowadays seems to be that it doesn't count as a MBA because it designates RBA specifically in the text, but that in turn creates some rules oddities. I was kind of surprised though that I couldn't find any reference to a CS response to the issue, so I wrote them myself out of curiosity and they said it in fact does become a MBA. Of course we know their track record, so meh.

covaithe

Explorer
No worries, WD. For some reason I thought I remembered you saying that you had it. Is BKT's sheet in the rogues gallery up to date with the current rules, as far as you know? If not, can you make it so? I'll fire up the CB and check it over at some point.

covaithe

Explorer
Ok, the prevailing opinion on the WotC boards nowadays seems to be that it doesn't count as a MBA because it designates RBA specifically in the text, but that in turn creates some rules oddities. I was kind of surprised though that I couldn't find any reference to a CS response to the issue, so I wrote them myself out of curiosity and they said it in fact does become a MBA. Of course we know their track record, so meh.

Yeah, that's less than totally convincing.

The "it's not an MBA because it says RBA" argument seems fairly weak to me. My own thoughts run along the lines that sorcerers should be casters, not melee-ers, but that's not a rules interpretation, it's a you-kids-get-off-my-lawn complaint. I'll let Kylek have it as an MBA.

Remove ads