[4e] D&D as personal horror

Toras

First Post
I know we've had tons of threads so far about "what is a healing surge?" or hitpoints as an abstraction? And given the rather drastic difference between NPC and PC abilities in this edition, I hit on the idea of celebrating the difference rather than trying to gloss over it.

PC's regardless of their race are "the Fated". To replicate being truly apart, have hit points actually represent damage and healing surges are healing in truth. A fighter with twelve arrows in him stands up Jason Vorhee's style and continues to gut the suprised and perhaps horrified gnolls or humans. A wizard possess far greater arcane might than most of these little towns might every see much less hope to possess. Skills come to them with ease, tasks that might take a master decades to prefect seem to flow with ease.

Have them encounter other Fated who have used their abilities to rule or to destroy. Explore the view of townspeople, in shades of fear or awe. Examine the impact this might have on the world...so on and so forth.

Wik

First Post
Yeah, this could work... except that it starts getting muddied up when they fight monsters that have healing surges. Every orc has something akin to a surge, after all - is every orc "fated"?

Personally, I'm thinking of just calling surges "adrenaline", and leaving it at that. It works a lot better, in my mind.

Toras

First Post
Actually, everyone supposedly has 1 surge in them per day. If I were make this change I would describe that surge being the heroic efforts or an "adrenaline" surge. But when I have say 7 of something that everyone else only has 1 of, I'm not like everyone else. I'm special. But I'm not the only one who is special. I have between 0-X friends and companions who are similarly special.

Hence this angle. If I am one of a select few, but my difference is something that I both know and can acknowledge the differences make so much more sense. If the martial powers flow from this difference, this inner power, then having them under arbitrary limits or otherwise changing in what would otherwise be illogical ways becomes justifiable. More over, the PCs can then deal with the relationship of between them and the villagers in a way that is actually logical and that they will not be the only ones with this difference. It offers story opportunities this way. And it allows for PC plans to be discussed and tactics evaluated in character.

Toras

First Post
Not really, I was more thinking it would run with a similar theme of a man apart. Though perhaps it would be better classified as being a horror, at least from the view of our average commoner.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There is a saying- "If you learn nothing in a day, you have wasted that day."

Toras, you taught me something today. I'm on record as not being a fan of 4Ed, and healing surges are a part of my dislike.

However, your reinterpretation of that is pretty damn crafty. While I can't see running EVERY 4Ed game that way, it would definitely be worth playing once.

Consider:

Black Sabbath, "The Wizard"

Misty morning, clouds in the sky
Without warning, the wizard walks by
Casting his shadow, weaving his spell
Funny clothes, tinkling bell

Never talking
Just keeps walking
Spreading his magic

Evil power disappears
Demons worry when the wizard is near
He turns tears into joy
Everyones happy when the wizard walks by

Never talking
Just keeps walking
Spreading his magic

Sun is shining, clouds have gone by
All the people give a happy sigh
He has passed by, giving his sign
Left all the people feeling so fine

Never talking
Just keeps walking
Spreading his magic

Your interpretation lends a nice air of the supernatural to every PC.

Toras

First Post
Alright, since we have the initial portion of the setting and assume that 'Fated' of whatever race they might be are built with PC rules. No reason to do so for anyone else, but have them be the major players that you might use often.

And we can build in speculation as to why this happened and when they started appearing. Perhaps it is being exposed to residuum as a child or some sort of inherent magic that alters them. They could also simply be chosen. Do they have any distinguishing marks? Are they common enough to have a subculture associated with them?

Are the royal lines and noble houses trying to deal with them or are they founded around them? (Possibly as strings of Amber). How common are they among the PC races? Outside? From there, what kind of setting do we find ourselves in. Point of light? Are we talking a single city and its surrounding towns and farming hamlets? Are their multiple cities connected by dangerous roads or teleportation circles?

Ideas definitely.

Remove ads