• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Design and JRR Tolkien

GVDammerung

First Post
One game to rule them all, Gleemax to find them, fourth edition to bring them all and in their fandom bind them.

Seems Tolkien was a significant influence on 4e design philosophy. 4e - The New Classic.

:lol:

GVDammerung

First Post
DandD said:
Ehrm, yeah? What is the point of this topic? What are we supposed to talk about?

I suppose I must shoulder the burden of the old saying "If you have to explain a joke . . ."

Then again, there is something behind the "joke" that has apparently gone missing, as well. I must shoulder that burden too.

I'll try to be clearer and dryer. Lord of the Rings (The three films taken together) is the most popular and critically acclaimed fantasy film of all time without exception. It is what? A few years old?

Yet, here we have 4e presenting the classic fantasy game in a less than classic fashion, either in the sense of the traditions of the game itself and in the sense of the style of the game. The logic I've heard for this is that the 4e approach is intended to feature the "new fantasy" (read anime and vieo games etc.) that appeals to today's potential gamers. And Tolkien (or arguably other classics) do not? At least to judge by the success of the Lord of the Rings movie franchise, "classic" fantasy has a very real and substantial appeal that is very current. 4e seems to intentionally ignore this in large measure.

Now, this is not to say that Tolkien or any other bit of classic fantasy is "the one true way." But it is to say, that I find Wotc's "logic" (as I understand it) in the thematic presentation of 4e a bit suspect. The available evidence on what type of fantasy sells seems to feature classic fantasy prominently, much more so than is being let on in 4e's design philosophy as I understand it.

Okay. Let me try again. A human, a dwarf and an elf, I mean an eladrin, walk into a bar . . . stop me if you've heard this one . . . :)

I've been thinking that the 4e previews show a stronger Tolkien influence than 3rd. "Points of light" is a very good description of Middle Earth at the time of the novels, and having the Eldar and Avari, sorry, "Eladrin and Elves" as PC races seems a clear influence.

am181d

Adventurer
I don't get it. Is this a thread about how much 4e is influenced by Tolkien or a thread about how 4e is not very influenced by Tolkien???

Please, someone, tell me what to think.

DandD

First Post
Well, as Scholar & Brutalman said, the recent background lore changes that the designers of 4th edition have announced seem quite back to the roots, and more honest to real world tradition.

So, yeah, what are we really going to talk about, once again. I sure hope it's not a 'I hate 4th edition'-thread once again.

Game-mechanics on the other hand, that has nothing to do with Lord of the Rings... Well, unless you allow Elves to surf down stairs on a shield and slay some hundred orks, and then single-handedly slay those Oliphant-thingies with all their riders, which then means that 4th edition should try to make this possible.

DandD said:
Game-mechanics on the other hand, that has nothing to do with Lord of the Rings... Well, unless you allow Elves to surf down stairs on a shield and slay some hundred orks, and then single-handedly slay those Oliphant-thingies with all their riders, which then means that 4th edition should try to make this possible.

That's so anime.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads