D&D 4E 4E DnD Insider Moving; No Longer Available To New Subscribers

I don't know it that was already the case, but they no longer accept new subscribers. Edit: My post doesn't make much sense, now that the OP has been promoted to news and edited to include more information.

I don't know it that was already the case, but they no longer accept new subscribers.

Edit: My post doesn't make much sense, now that the OP has been promoted to news and edited to include more information.

dave2008

Legend
WotC's online tools for D&D 4th Edition were one of the best things about that edition. Just the character builder alone was a must-have tool. The tools are now moving and - more importantly - are no longer available to new subscribers. Existing subscribers can still access the tools, and renew their subscriptions. Online support for D&D 5th Edition, of course, currently includes the Dragon+mobile news app, the free rules PDFs for the game's basic rules, and the Fantasy Grounds virtual table.

dndilogo.jpg
The following note can be found on WotC's website:

The D&D Insider tools are moving, but they’re still available to current subscribers.

Subscribers can access the tools at dndinsider.com. The tools are not available to new subscribers at this time, but existing subscribers can continue to renew the service as normal. The subscription to D&D Insider includes:

• Dragon magazine and Dungeon magazine online
  • D&D Character Builder
  • D&D Compendium
  • D&D Adventure Tools
  • Art and Map Galleries
These tools are for the fourth edition of the Dungeons & Dragons tabletop roleplaying game. If you're interested in online support for fifth edition D&D, you can refer to the online basic rules or check out what's available on Fantasy Grounds.

Attachments

• dndilogo.jpg
    dndilogo.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 14,581
Last edited by a moderator:

There's something fundamentally dysfunctional with WotC's approach to its digital tools for D&D. While 4e might have been flawed, the D&D Insider tools were extremely useful and, quite frankly, essential to the game. They've produced a great game in 5e but have failed to produce even minimal digital tools. I think they at least need to get a usable character generator online. Or allow 3rd party vendors to produce them. Whatever the solution, I hope one can be found in 2016.

By the way, Fantasy Grounds is dated and not very fun to use.

mykesfree

Adventurer
I loved the 4e Digital Tools and probably hung onto my subscription longer than I needed to. I hope WotC decides to make a 5E builder, or just tack a 5E module onto the 4E one.

darkbard

Legend
As I noted in the Forums over the weekend, access to the tools at the new location is spotty, at best, right now. I've been able to access nothing but a broken link since yesterday, and content was intermittently available before that.

smiteworks

Explorer
I liked them and kept my subscription active for probably a year and a half after I last played D&D 4E.

I had a blast playing 4E over Fantasy Grounds, but I had also built up a nice set of data modules so I could automate the majority of the combat. I would use the character builder from DDI to build the characters and then export them to import into Fantasy Grounds using the Character Converter utility that we provide. There was no reason for us to build out the character building features since DDI's tools already did this very well.

This is an example of what it looked like on Fantasy Grounds. Unfortunately, we never secured a license for distribution of content and our current license is only for D&D fifth edition.

attachment.php

View attachment 72449

Remove ads

Remove ads