D&D 4E 4E DnD Insider Moving; No Longer Available To New Subscribers

I don't know it that was already the case, but they no longer accept new subscribers. Edit: My post doesn't make much sense, now that the OP has been promoted to news and edited to include more information.

I don't know it that was already the case, but they no longer accept new subscribers.

Edit: My post doesn't make much sense, now that the OP has been promoted to news and edited to include more information.

Magil

First Post
There's something fundamentally dysfunctional with WotC's approach to its digital tools for D&D. While 4e might have been flawed, the D&D Insider tools were extremely useful and, quite frankly, essential to the game. They've produced a great game in 5e but have failed to produce even minimal digital tools. I think they at least need to get a usable character generator online. Or allow 3rd party vendors to produce them. Whatever the solution, I hope one can be found in 2016.

By the way, Fantasy Grounds is dated and not very fun to use.

I can't help but agree. I can only surmise that WotC's reluctance to join the rest of us in the year 201X is that they're afraid of backlash from the middleman (local game shops). They can't possibly be so incompetent that they're just unable to make decent digital tools at this point, there must be another pressing reason behind it, and the LGS seems likely to be the culprit.

Benji

First Post
~80k subscribers at $6 a month (at the cheapest option) would seem a pretty decent motivation.

But they already have them, those people are already subscribed. Would bringing out more up to date tools that replace the need for a book actually add that many more, or are all the peeps interested in the subscription model already paying for it?

I'm not actually sure that's an answerable question, now I think about it. Not without research.

But even with those numbers, if they wait until all of them have bought a book before brining out the tools, then they maximise profit, right?

Edited: Because I can't string a sentence together.

delericho

Legend
But they already have them, those people are already subscribed.

They had them. They'd already peaked before 5e came out, and while we don't know how many have let their subscriptions lapse since then, I'd be shocked if it wasn't a significant number.

But even with those numbers, if they wait until all of them have bought a book before brining out the tools, then they maximise profit, right?

One of the things that is interesting about 5e is that WotC seem less interested in people buying books than in them simply playing the game - hence their willingness to give a hefty chunk of the game away completely free (and to provide additional support so people can play their storylines with just Basic), and also their much-reduced product line.

My suspicion is that this is because "we have 10 million active gamers" makes for a better licensing proposition than "we have 1 million active gamers", but that's speculation on my part.

RedSiegfried

First Post
It reads to me that the stop on new subscribers was supposed to be temporary. Though I suppose it could also be an open ended statement. Still it seems like the wording intends the new subscriber issue is temporary.
I tend to agree, and I hope you're right and we don't hear an announcement about the tools going away.

I like to think I can do without the tools and honestly, I can because I have ALL the books for 4e, but the tools sure do make my DMing job so much easier.

As others have stated or alluded, there are alternatives, but I prefer to keep using what I'm using.

Uchawi

First Post
Once they went to the online character builder my interest in 4E tools waned. Doing the same thing in 5E via online tools is a non-starter. If I don't own the content, then I don't want it.

Remove ads

Remove ads