D&D 4E 4E Drinking Game: Playtest Report

thatdarnedbob

First Post
So, the rules to the 4E drinking game are simple. To play, you need everything you need to play 4E, plus some form of spirits. For this session, we used the ever available Bud for the sipping, with some rum and vodka for shots.

0. A sip is not a dainty sip. Be a hero.
1. Take a sip when you roll initiative; the low roll finishes his drink.
2. Take a sip every time you take damage as a PC.
3. Take a sip for each monster defeated, as the DM.
4. If your side is surprised, take a sip.
5. If you use a daily power, finish your drink.
6. Every time a PC goes unconscious, the player finishes his drink.
7. Every time the players defeat the last monster of an encounter, the DM finishes his drink.
8. Every time your PC or monster is hit with a crit, finish your drink.
9. If you take an extended rest, finish your drink.
10. The right to add more conditions is reserved.

We played with 3 players and a DM, running 3 level 2 PCs against what seemed very similar to the sample encounter Kobold Hall in the DMG. But it was different, I will give Matt props for that. I played a Ranger, and the others played a Warlock and a Paladin.

Many of the details are hazy, but here are some highlights. The first battle, against some skirmishers and slingers, went well. The paladin spent most of it stationary due to gluepots, but was able to make the kobolds come to him. The warlock only showed up halfway through this battle because of a dinner date (we did wonder who had dinner at 10 and then left to play D&D, but soon that question was forgot).

During a fight with some guard drakes and kobolds between some coffins, each of the PCs dropped once each. We relied on lucky natural 20s on the stabilization rolls to beat the encounter. We then barricaded the room with kobold bodies and sarcophagi, counting on our grisly totems to ward other wandering monsters, and took an extended rest. At this point, the players are getting tipsy and the DM is grinning; never a good sign.

We then blasted apart some undead with ease (having a gnome warlock who multiclasses into paladin helps against these guys. really, try it out). Much fist pumping ensued. The next room held more kobolds, and a rolling boulder trap which completely demolished us. More frantic combat follows, and the tide of battle and sobriety turns when I use Split the Tree and crit a dragonshield and the wyrmpriest. Both drop and the DM stares at the bottom of his glass for 3 minutes before continuing.

The next battle, against a young white dragon, was a TPK, I readily admit. We decided not to take a long rest before entering, hoping that out fortuitous rolls would preserve us. This was not the case, and just as we bloodied the dragon, it froze us to death. For shame.

So, the final verdict is that 4E makes a damn fine drinking game, albeit one that requires a bit more preparation than most. I wholeheartedly recommend it. Of course, I do insist that as with most drinking games, you should not use the expensive stuff on it.

habaal

First Post
I'm totally stealing this hook!
Is it just me, or the DM gets the most Alchohol mileage then most of the players?
Plus, what about A drinking game when the PCs get into a Bar Fight, getting more druk, angry and hazy as the battle ensues?

Just a thought, were the PCs also taking sips from hidden Rum bottles between fights, too?

thatdarnedbob

First Post
habaal said:
I'm totally stealing this hook!
Is it just me, or the DM gets the most Alchohol mileage then most of the players?

Hm, I could do an analysis:

1 tilts to the DM
2 & 3 wash each other out, pretty much.
4 tilts toward the PCs (when was the last time you ambushed a kobold?)
5 & 6 are both toward the PCs
7 & 8 go against the DM
9 hits the PCs only

Maybe statistical analysis is required, but to me it looks kind of even right now.

habaal said:
Plus, what about A drinking game when the PCs get into a Bar Fight, getting more druk, angry and hazy as the battle ensues?

Just a thought, were the PCs also taking sips from hidden Rum bottles between fights, too?

I can't speak for the PCs, but the players definitely were keeping their sobriety in reserve, much like our healing potions and action points.

Remove ads