• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Forgotten Realms Mystra did whu?

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I am an FR noob. Help me understand the state of things as I begin a brand new Campaign in Neverwinter for my crew.
I don't have an axe to grind, I just want to make sure I understand the setting as published because I want to avoid contradictions if I have to research or explain something or choose to change something.

I think I know:
1385 DR: Mystra is killed by Cyric, at the behest of Shar. The weave collapses. Spellplague ensues.
1451 DR: Hotenow erupts leveling Neverwinter. (bad mages were trying to kill bunches of people to perform some ritual. fail.)
1461 DR: Settlers start to return to NeverWinter to rebuild but have a tough go at it until Lord Neverember decides to swoop in years later
1479 DR: 4e setting baselined, this is the year of my adventure.

My question is ... I have seen reference to Mystrra returning in or about 1480, and the effects of the spell plague diminishing. Is that true as it relates to 4e material, or is that a reboot for 5e? Or am I hallucinating? I am content either way but I'd like to know what the official andswer is as it is related to Mystara and her return in 4e.

Make sense?
@Scrivener of Doom , I am sure you can answer this.

Last edited:

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
[MENTION=94582]UnknownAtThisTime[/MENTION] I think Mystra returned in one of Ed's Elminster books - I know she's on the cover art of one of them - but I avoid the novels so I cannot tell you which one. If you look at the covers for a blue female ghost and then check the dates inside, that should give you your answer. (My Third World internet is only giving me text and not image access so I cannot look right now. I will look later and see what I can find.)

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
So piecing together some wikia and candlekeeper stuff, it seems fair to say she was on the verge of returning circa 1479 but maybe hadn't gotten the job done until a few years later. It is unlikely to make any difference at all to my heroic campaign, but I did wan't to understand if the lessening effects of the spell plague were related to her return. It seems likely they are, but as I said above, it probably will not matter to my PCs and they probably will never know she is on her way back.

In any case, I think I understand and can reconcile this.

Tony Vargas

Legend
My question is ... I have seen reference to Mystrra returning in or about 1480, and the effects of the spell plague diminishing. Is that true as it relates to 4e material, or is that a reboot for 5e? Or am I hallucinating? I am content either way but I'd like to know what the official andswer is as it is related to Mystara and her return in 4e.

Make sense?
IIRC, it technically happened in a novel. I recall an Essentials-era encounters adventure related to it, so it happened well before 5e, but was clearly part of the roll-back of all things 4e that started with Essentials.

I wouldn't worry about it or bother placing it in your campaign time-line. It was for longtime FR fans. If you're not one, Mystra, Elminster, and the Weave are all things you can do very well without.

Remove ads