D&D 4E 4e houserules

joela

First Post
So, for those who have downloaded and read the unofficial rules-lite version or, better yet, played with them (either at the Experience or in your own games), what houserules are you considering implementing when the books are available in June?

For me, it'll be adding the rule that, if a PC dies, s/he actually doesn't but instead gets a flaw. Examples include epilepsy, slow learner, scarred horribly etc. I and several DMs use such a rule in our 3.5 games to great effect (though our players may think otherwise ) Another is, if the wizard changes his/her at-will magic missile to an encounter power, it hit automatically.

hong

WotC's bitch
The only one I'm seriously contemplating ATM is the ranger's quarry. Instead of nearest enemy, it's any enemy to whom you have uninterrupted LoS. Otherwise it's too soon to really start house ruling.

Nine Hands

Explorer
[sarcasm on] My first house rule is to ditch the d20 and use a d12 instead. It has a better bell curve.

Next would be to remove the +1/2 level to attacks and just make it + (level x level) / 2 instead. Again it has a better bell curve and much simpler.

Finally I will be removing all non-standard races except humans. Humans have a better bell curve.

That's all I can think of right now but once I get my hands on the books I will definitely have more... [sarcasm off]

Honestly its too early to really house rule stuff. I want to see the whole rule set, read it, digest it (not literally) then I can make up my mind on what things to tweak.

Last edited:

HeinorNY

First Post
I'm thinking about changing the Mirror Image spell. It's too simple for my taste and I enjoy a little more "complicated" spells. I'll probably make it closer to 3E Mirror Image. Three adjacent images, their AC = wizard's Reflex. Enemy hits an image and image disappears.
But as mentioned, I also think it's a bit too early.

Immolate

First Post
We've been discussing this with the revelation of the new death rules. We've always house-ruled death to be permanent and irreversable. We considered adopting the new rules over the course of a few days and a flurry of impassioned emails. In the end, we decided that dead is still... well... dead.

lexoanvil

First Post
Nine Hands said:
My first house rule is to ditch the d20 and use a d12 instead. It has a better bell curve.

Next would be to remove the +1/2 level to attacks and just make it + (level x level) / 2 instead. Again it has a better bell curve and much simpler.

Finally I will be removing all non-standard races except humans. Humans have a better bell curve.

That's all I can think of right now but once I get my hands on the books I will definitely have more...

Honestly its too early to really house rule stuff. I want to see the whole rule set, read it, digest it (not literally) then I can make up my mind on what things to tweak.

is there any specific reason for removing the races? do they just not fit in your setting?

second how would useing a D12 work? sounds interesting

Nine Hands

Explorer
Actually one thing I would like to change is the way marking works. Instead of you marking a foe and it only affects them, I think it should be more of a challenge thing, so if you mark someone, you suffer the same effects if you don't attack them.

Sort of like calling the bad guy out in most movies.

Remove ads