D&D 4E 4e houserules

I don't like the way the Mirror image works, but since everything else I haven't liked has been changed, I'm pretty much expecting that to have been changed too.

Stalker0

Legend
After two playtests, the only house rule I'd consider at the moment is change the way marking works (for monsters, not for players).

Instead of I hit you and you take a -2 to attacks against everyone except me, I would just make it a blanket -1 to attack rolls. Much easier for me as a dm to remember.

Gort

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
After two playtests, the only house rule I'd consider at the moment is change the way marking works (for monsters, not for players).

Instead of I hit you and you take a -2 to attacks against everyone except me, I would just make it a blanket -1 to attack rolls. Much easier for me as a dm to remember.

But the whole purpose of that power is to make it attractive to attack the guy without the penalty.

If you make it a blanket -1, the whole point of the power is lost.

cr0m

First Post
I'm going to change the way the Paladin's marketing works. Right now he's all austere and unforgiving. I want a paladin with attitude. He's edgy, he's "in your face." You've heard the expression "let's get busy"? Well, this is a paladin who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.

You know what I mean? Proactive.

HeinorNY

First Post
cr0m said:
I'm going to change the way the Paladin's marketing works. Right now he's all austere and unforgiving. I want a paladin with attitude. He's edgy, he's "in your face." You've heard the expression "let's get busy"? Well, this is a paladin who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.

You know what I mean? Proactive.
Paladins and Wizards(of the coast) definitely need more marketing. :p

sunrisekid

Explorer
I agree with some previous comments on the prematurity of houseruling what hasn't been published nor playtested, but... if I were to houserule something... I would consider eliminating "class" skills and permit players to select whatever skills they want for their characters (as I've indicated in a similarly named thread elsewhere). I like the idea of non-stereotypical character builds.

abeattie

First Post
joela said:
So, for those who have downloaded and read the unofficial rules-lite version or, better yet, played with them (either at the Experience or in your own games), what houserules are you considering implementing when the books are available in June?

For me, it'll be adding the rule that, if a PC dies, s/he actually doesn't but instead gets a flaw. Examples include epilepsy, slow learner, scarred horribly etc. I and several DMs use such a rule in our 3.5 games to great effect (though our players may think otherwise ) Another is, if the wizard changes his/her at-will magic missile to an encounter power, it hit automatically.

Just my usual, it's okay to misquote a rule, but if I catch ya cheating, you're the top of everybody's threat list until I get borred.

Yonner

Explorer
I'm thinking of dropping marking altogether. It adds very little to the game for too much cost. I think the idea is interesting and cool, but in our many playtests it just became too messy to want to deal with anymore.

Stalker0

Legend
Gort said:
But the whole purpose of that power is to make it attractive to attack the guy without the penalty.

If you make it a blanket -1, the whole point of the power is lost.

Completely agree, I am changing the very essence of the power. Instead of encouraging someone to attack me, I'm giving a general penalty to his offense. But its a lot easier to keep track of.

Its the only house rule I'd consider right now, just because I really didn't like tracking monster marking in my playtests.

Remove ads