D&D 4E 4e houserules

Nytmare

David Jose
In probable order of appearance:

• Expand action points to include an updated version of the Scarred Lands "Prayers and Evocations" list.
  • Encumbrance. Unless they slimmed down encumbrance a LOT, I'll probably port over my 3rd ed encumbrance rules. Basically your strength is equal to the number of things you can carry without being encumbered and there's an expanded "slot" list to keep track of what you can put where.
  • My group is always a sucker for crit and fumble tables. My initial guess is that it will be a cross referenced chart where the Y axis is the d20 modifier and the X axis will be the damage dealt.
  • Tracking ammunition and spell components. This one hinges on whether we houserule fumbles and encumbrance. I like resource management, but hate extensive book keeping. If we have fumble charts, I can have "quiver/bullet bag/spell component pouch empty" fumbles, and keep book keeping down to a 1 or 2 item list.
  • Flight. Depending on what the rules are, I might jump to a system that only really tracks minimum distances and maximum "facing" changes in a round.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Kwalish Kid said:
No details yet, but I'll post this after I work on it. Expect to hear back after the release.
I look forward to it. This is something I have been considering, but it's a big project. Keep us posted here at EN World; I'm sure some would love to help contribute.

As for me ...
1. Transfer the assumed Item +'s to character leveling. This is a rules-neutral change for story purposes. I want to encourage keeping the ancestral weapon from levels 1-30.

2. If the rules don't already allow for it, expand Rituals to non-caster classes and allow for "mundane" rituals to make castles, a play, masterwork items, etc. It seems just seems like nice, neat and flexible mechanic. I also want to open up Ritual magic to non-caster classes, so a foolish NPC Princling could open a door to the Shadowfell by accident, even though he's not a X level Cleric. I like the story possibilities it opens up.

3. Introduce a few minor house rules I've had for a long time that the simulationist in me demands.

My house rules are going to be story driven though. I don't plan on fiddling with the rules beyond that, like changing how Marking works. Not until I have a lot of personal experience with the system; enough to make informed judgments.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Irda Ranger said:
I look forward to it. This is something I have been considering, but it's a big project. Keep us posted here at EN World; I'm sure some would love to help contribute.
Will do. The problem is identifying the correct fantasy archetypes and devising an mechanic that let's them have an impact without having them change combat. Perhaps I'll just add Pool on top of 4E. That would be a gas. I'm only half joking here.

I would like to keep the core mechanics idea of 4E as much as possible for what I'm calling "The Other Game" classes. I'm seeing an idea something like the following:

Noble Example:. A character who is a noble can make a special intimidation "attack" based on the use of rank as a per encounter ability and a special diplomacy attack based on social grace once per day.

Bard Example: A bard character can make a special win the crowd attack per encounter, as long as they can sing and play an instrument, and a special start rumor or change district opinion attack once per day.

Labourer Example: A labourer character can be underestimated once/encounter (as long as they are not over dressed. Once per day they can identify with another labourer and improve their reaction to the character.

The Merchant/Fence Example: The character can make a favourable negotiation check once per encounter. The character can find a buyer/seller once per day (modified by location).

This is all off the top of my head. These are supposed to capture the fantasy archetype of a story role, not a particular social tactics role. The labourer is an example of how, I think, a labourer hero might be seen to interact in a story. Perhaps at higher level this labourer character gets some kind of power called "Form Popular Movement". How much actual mechanics these other classes get should depend on how much the existing rules meet my (our?) demand to play these sorts of archetypes.

However, I'd like to be able to have PCs play character that are nobles and not worry that, because they are fighters, that they will be barred from being at the same level of noble that another class would be. Perhaps these supplementary classes will have their own class skill lists that add on to the existing list.
1. Transfer the assumed Item +'s to character leveling. This is a rules-neutral change for story purposes. I want to encourage keeping the ancestral weapon from levels 1-30.
I like this idea. You might want to talk it over with your players, though. You might want to work on a way for your players to build on their ancestral weapons. This is especially useful if you expand rituals beyond a few classes, as it combines the two aspects of the game and allows for some intriguing story ideas.
2. If the rules don't already allow for it, expand Rituals to non-caster classes and allow for "mundane" rituals to make castles, a play, masterwork items, etc. It seems just seems like nice, neat and flexible mechanic. I also want to open up Ritual magic to non-caster classes, so a foolish NPC Princling could open a door to the Shadowfell by accident, even though he's not a X level Cleric. I like the story possibilities it opens up.
I'm definitely with you here. I think I'll let pretty much any PC learn a ritual, though there will be some requirements (feats or whatever the multiclassing requirements is, perhaps). I'm betting that it will already be the case in the core books that any NPC you like can have access to rituals.

Jhaelen

First Post
joela said:
what houserules are you considering implementing when the books are available in June?
None at all. I'll do the same I did when I started playing 3E:
Use the rules as written. I slowly started to introduce house-rules after 1-2 years of playing.

I first want to be comfortable with the rules and be able to judge if a rule is truly broken or seems to run counter to the design goals in 4E.

If I run it, I'll change the rules for HP recovery on extended rest without thinking twice, and maybe I'll make diagonals 1-2-1-2 again as well. Dragonborns also will have no place in my campaigns unless I'm starting a new setting where they've always existed.

Cheers,

Boarstorm

First Post
FreeTheSlaves said:
I'm going to avoid all houserules unless they are absolutely necessary.

I am frankly quite exhausted with the house rule culture of role playing games, and very much hope that unlike all prior editions 4E is completely playable as is. It really is quite amazing that for 30 odd years we've had d&d that was, at some point in the play experience, critically flawed.

I just want to put my feet up and game with my buddies safe in the knowledge that the pro's have got it sorted.

Man, that sounds... liberating.

Other than races, I'll try to play it by the RAW.

Anything starting with Half or ending in Ling gets the boot. :]

Dragonborn will be on probationary status. ;)

Elves will be a small race, to better differentiate them from Eladrin. :D

Gnomes and Minotaurs will be available as PC choices. :cool:

3 Man

First Post
The less House Rules the better. I'm the DM and I forget them half the time! I will continue to use some form of Legacy Weapons, though, even if they are not in the core rules. They have been a great way to build characters in a meaningful epic story way without unbalancing the party. I also have a history of using Action Points creatively and providing Role Playing Bonuses.

Remove ads