• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e is boring?

Krump985

First Post
I: just finished my first game of 4e, well first campaign really. It went until level 5 and ended. I played a rogue, in a party with a wizard, ranger, and cleric. the game was extremely boring to me. I didn't like being a rogue, but I did like the damage I delt.

The game doesn't have the feel of 3.5 at all, where you can pretty much 'do anything', which was always one of the biggest things for me. I loved being able to take any character and have that uniqueness to myself. I had TONS of races and classes to choose from, so I could RP as I saw fit.

We are starting a brand new campaign tonight, and well... I just don't know what I want to be. I don't see myself having fun as any of the classes really. I made this thread hoping for advice from some of you, to tell me what classes and races you had the most fun with, so I can get an idea of what I want to be.

Nail

First Post
I: just finished my first game of 4e, well first campaign really. It went until level 5 and ended. I played a rogue, in a party with a wizard, ranger, and cleric. the game was extremely boring to me. I didn't like being a rogue, but I did like the damage I delt.
IIRC, you posted a board thread on whether or not your PC was broken. In that thread it seemed as if many of your difficulties came from the DM not understanding the game completely. Has that changed?

The game doesn't have the feel of 3.5 at all, where you can pretty much 'do anything', which was always one of the biggest things for me.
Don't confuse yourself. You are talking about 3.xe, and after all of the supplements came out. This is still very early in the game cycle for 4e. there aren't lots of choices only because there aren't lots of supplements....yet.

We are starting a brand new campaign tonight, and well... I just don't know what I want to be. I don't see myself having fun as any of the classes really. I made this thread hoping for advice from some of you, to tell me what classes and races you had the most fun with, so I can get an idea of what I want to be.
For you, I'd recommend the Fighter. Plenty of defender fun to have there.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
First, does your DM seem to be really into running the game? If the DM's not very enthused about it, then another edition or game might be the better call here.

If it seems like the DM and other players are really 'into' it, and you're just not feeling excited about it, but want to keep trying, I'd suggest a couple of things:

1) take the class and race you'd want to play in 3e, and figure out the core element of that class in 4e and play it that way. Half-elf monk of House Lyrandar, Ask the DM for a couple of tweaks on the ranger, like doing a d6 weapon damage on your hands with option for a feat to push it to d8, and just use the rest of the mechanics which fit well. Got an idea for a summoner-type? reflavor the warlock or cleric's powers to fit closer. One person told me his warlock was using his eldritch blast as an "energy whip", and had some other flavor tweaks.

2) Try some off-the-wall stuff like trips, cinematic swings, and other feats of action, and remind the DM of page 42 in the DMG. There's a pretty freeform underlying mechanic which allows players to do some wacky stuff, so that feeling of "do anything" can be recaptured, with a bit of innovation.

Past that, are there any specifics that came up in game that can quantify the problem you were having with it? Sometimes specific examples can highlight what's going on moreso than people starting to bog a thread down with "can nots" and "can, toos".

Stalker0

Legend
2) Try some off-the-wall stuff like trips, cinematic swings, and other feats of action, and remind the DM of page 42 in the DMG. There's a pretty freeform underlying mechanic which allows players to do some wacky stuff, so that feeling of "do anything" can be recaptured, with a bit of innovation.

This is important. People see powers and go from "this is stuff my character can do" to "this is the ONLY stuff my character can do". Remember every character gets bonuses to all skills now, so give them a try.

Try asking to use endurance to bump your speed for a round, use acrobatics to go up the walls and land behind a guy, etc.

Jhaelen

First Post
I didn't like being a rogue
Well, knowing what you don't like is a decent way to start thinking about what you might like. Just ask yourself: what exactly didn't you like about being a rogue?
What did you think about the other players' characters?
The game doesn't have the feel of 3.5 at all, where you can pretty much 'do anything', which was always one of the biggest things for me. I loved being able to take any character and have that uniqueness to myself. I had TONS of races and classes to choose from, so I could RP as I saw fit.
I'd suggest you try to think about a character concept without thinking about the ruleset at all.

Character concepts transcend rules. Once you've come up with a character concept discuss it with your DM and with her help try to come up with a race/class/feats/skills combination that most closely resembles your concept. Your DM will (or should) help you to avoid choices that might make your character unsuitable for play. You may also want to ask the other players what kind of characters they intend to play. While not strictly necessary it makes playing the game easier if all of the roles are covered.

While there are fewer classes than in 3E (which isn't surprising considering how long 4E is available) I've found them to be a lot more flexible than 3E classes when it comes to realize a character concept.

Krump985

First Post
well...

Let's just say this were a 3.5 game. I'll say what I'd like to play this time around, and you can give me advice on what to do.

I'd want to be a very beautiful female paladin of a confused alignment. I am part of a religion/sect that has a particular way of doing things, and while I believe that I am completely just and rightous, following the laws of my sect, and doing things for the good of my religion... my sect is initself a backward and evil body which doesn't realize it. Over the many years we've become tainted and we don't know. I have set off on a journey, now that I have 'come of age' at 21, where I will 'become one with god'. Leaving my town with nothing but my adventuring gear, backpack, and sword... I leave, seeking to spread the word of god and smite his enemies.

I am unsure who my god would be. I am also unsure what my alignment would be. That is the basis though of my character. I would MUCH rather it be a monk, but since monks dont exists, the paladin would be the next closest thing.

also, i know dragonborn make great paladins, but they are ugly as all hell. i couldn't do it. would it be a stretch to be a dragonborn that has a permanent illusion spell on it that makes it look like a human, or some other wild story like that?

Let's just say this were a 3.5 game. I'll say what I'd like to play this time around, and you can give me advice on what to do.

I'd want to be a very beautiful female paladin of a confused alignment. I am part of a religion/sect that has a particular way of doing things, and while I believe that I am completely just and rightous, following the laws of my sect, and doing things for the good of my religion... my sect is initself a backward and evil body which doesn't realize it. Over the many years we've become tainted and we don't know. I have set off on a journey, now that I have 'come of age' at 21, where I will 'become one with god'. Leaving my town with nothing but my adventuring gear, backpack, and sword... I leave, seeking to spread the word of god and smite his enemies.

I am unsure who my god would be. I am also unsure what my alignment would be. That is the basis though of my character. I would MUCH rather it be a monk, but since monks dont exists, the paladin would be the next closest thing.

also, i know dragonborn make great paladins, but they are ugly as all hell. i couldn't do it. would it be a stretch to be a dragonborn that has a permanent illusion spell on it that makes it look like a human, or some other wild story like that?

My advice:

1/2 elf paliden
use point buy to get 16 16 12 10 10 10 then +2 con and cha
10 str
14 Con

10 Dex
10 Int

16 Wis
18 Cha

go unaligned worship the Raven queen, and say your sect has turned into little better then a death cult...Bolstering and enfebleing smite are your friends then grab Eldritch blast from Warlock as your dillatant and reflavor to a blast blessing of the ravon queen.

You are now pretty, and a Pally, and go to town...

Wraith Form

Explorer

I feel your pain. Not to start a 4th Ed-bash, but I also played a rogue. I came up with a concept LONG before I rolled dice, and there were many parts of it (*coughmulticlassingcough*) that were lackluster in 4th ed.

It was boring....all the other players laying a swath of destruction and doing video-gamey stunts and junk....meanwhile, my socially-inclined rogue just tried to keep up in battle (with minor success) and stole the good treasure.

Beat stuff up, take it's loot. Rinse & repeat. It felt like I was playing a game of Diablo II with my buddies, using pen & paper. I like chillin' with my homies, but sheesh.

I'm trying a uber-muchkin'ed cheesed-out swordmage next, so I can lay my own *yawn* swath of destruction upon my enemies.

Mercule

Adventurer
What about an elf or half-elf? They get a bonus to Wisdom and/or diplomacy. Sure, you don't get that +2 to strength, but so what? Decide whether you're playing the numbers or playing the character. Let's say half-elf and pick up a cleric at-will. Beyond that, the concept almost builds itself. Either you're still pure-hearted, despite the church's corruption, so you're good or you've been so totally confused that you're evil. Choose your prayers and go. As your character develops, I totally see her picking up a few cleric prayers, too, since she will be trying to shape the way other people behave.

If you want a monk, go with the above suggestion of modding the ranger or rogue. If you don't want to force a fiat of the open hand damage, offer to spend a feat to get d6 damage. Also, ask your DM if gloves can be enchanted as weapons in the same way cloth armor now exists. That'll give you all you need. If you want the more mystic monk abilities, multiclass into cleric, paladin, or even the warlock or swordmage (if you have that book). When you get to 11th level, you may have to create a custom path (or stop in here), but you might also find that one of your two classes have one that fits.

Milambus

First Post
I'd want to be a very beautiful female paladin of a confused alignment.

This is a mistake that I see people make quite frequently when comparing 4e with 3.x. "I wanna be X class... but make it do Y thing." Character class and character concept are not the same thing. So I'm going to edit your sentence to remove the class from it.

"I'd want to be a very beautiful female holy warrior of a confused alignment."

When most people think paladin they are usually thinking either a knight in shining armor type character... or a holy warrior dedicated to their god (or ideal). But neither of those concepts have to be restricted to the D&D class of Paladin. Fighters can be the knight in shiny armor, or a ranger could be a holy warrior dedicated nature. Almost any class could fit this concept, depending on exactly how you want to play it.

I'm not telling you to not play a Paladin, but just don't feel like you are pigeon holed into that class because of your character concept.

A dragonborn wouldn't think of herself as ugly. In fact, it could be very interesting to play a dragonborn who was very vain and thought of herself as the best looking person around (because she always has been to her people).

Remove ads