D&D 4E 4E is to be announced at GenCon?

Najo

First Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the OGL is out of the bag and able to do what you want with it. You can make material that works with 4e but wouldn't have the D20 system logo and it could not reference Dungeons and Drasgons or the Player's Handbook by name. You couldn't use the DMG or MM refrence either, and would have to call them corebook 2 and 3 respectively. Other than that, you can make a 4e book. The OGL can't be taken back.

So the question is, will WOTC make 4e under the D20 trademark.

Now, lets say that they don't. Unless they retract the D20 liscense completely, you could stlll publish under the d20 liscense and say on the back compatible with the revised third edition of dungeons and dragons, and the current edition of the world's most popular fantasy role playing game. The book would still get the message across that it works with D&D. Or, you can make most of the book OGL designate what is OGL and make it 4e compatible and then clearly mark the proper percentage of the book as 3.5 and get the d20 logo that way. This can be accomplished with an appedix that converts material to 3.5.

I think WOTC not making 4e is only going to hurt them overall. Right now they do not lose any business over third party publishers, and alienating the third party publishers only forces them to give WOTC legal headaches or create competing RPGs again. Plus, it makes them loook like the evil corporation again. D&D needs the third party support for rules ideas, and support of the material that isn't profitable for WOTC to produce. Of course, that could bethe whole point of the DI, where that material gets put on the web to avoid printing costs and they smash all competition to drive people to the DI. But still, the OGL is still there.

One sign I noticed (and I thought it was because of their contract but again maybe Paizo is preparing for the future) is the new Paizo products are not under the D20 liscense and they say compatible with the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game. Right now there is no apparent ned for this, unless they know something we don't.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I'm thinking Wizards need to have a new idea up their sleeve. Something that will warrant a new edition - something cool. The DI might be it, but to me a DI isn't all that novel. I mean ENWorld has been a DI for six years already. Maybe they will just get all their stuff together and work in concert; minis, tiles, new encounter format, easy to print maps, and so on. If they could inject a healthy dose of role-play into the mix it might just be... sublime.

They need to help people get together and they know this. So on the one hand they need to create a 'dating service' for gamers and on the other hand they need an intellectual property to make people care. Eberron is great. I love Eberron but I seldom/never hear anyone rave about it. Not like they do when expecting a new movie of their prefered style, be that Matrix II, Two Towers, or Davey Jones' Locker. As a DM myself I find that my gaming buddies come to the game but they are not all that psyched about it. Some of them even say they'd rather play DDO (power-gamers :])

The 3E emphasis on stats and character builds might have scared off the 'character actors' of gaming groups. Since those guys are more fun to be with than the number crunchers there might be something in 4E to draw them back in. (Please don't flame me, I'm just guessing on what happens on a macro level.)

In any event D&D needs a little more bite.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Najo said:
One sign I noticed (and I thought it was because of their contract but again maybe Paizo is preparing for the future) is the new Paizo products are not under the D20 liscense and they say compatible with the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game. Right now there is no apparent ned for this, unless they know something we don't.

Not necessarily. They say "the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game" because they are not allowed to say D&D anyway. Not under the SRD or the d20 license. So why pretend?

Frostmarrow

First Post
Nifft said:
Someone on Earth still playes DDO?! :eek:

-- N

-Something fierce. They are out their right now trying to complete the sixth of their allowed characters to level 14 or whatever is the current limit. Ouch, that game bored me to tears. If all gamers in the world migrate to online games I'll play Solitaire with a real deck. :cool: Or perhaps solitaire with DDMs.

Wether 4e comes or not, I am happy with 3.5 and plan to stick with it. If All I need to buy are miniatures starting in 09 that is fine with me.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I also think that DnDE 2008 will have the big announcement. I think Necromancer games is trying to come up with an exscuse for their lack of activity. Now if it does happen, I'll be surprised since I betting that that WoTC will announce it at DnDE 200X and release it at GenCon 200X.

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
skeptic said:
4E + DI would be a great idea for WoTC because it's hardly possible that they can create a character editor (to replace eTools) online with so many options under 3.5 rules.

I think this is what will happen as well.

Razz

Banned
Banned
Vyvyan Basterd said:
To be fair you don't have to be rich. It's not like you have to run out and buy 80+ new books the day 4E comes out. You just need to have the disposable income to continue buying on a sustained basis. You obviously (with 80+ books) seem to have the income to devote to a new edition if you buy the 4e books at the same rate you're buying 3e books. On the flip side, WotC needs to be able to continue to produce D&D material, but it is a valid choice to keep playing whatever version you want. Look at Diaglo, he's got it figured out. :D

The problem is I really don't want to have to sell all my D&D books everytime a new edition comes out in order to make up for my loss. I also can't keep my 2E, 3E AND 4E books, I have too much to lug around as it is in case we move or something else happens. I really don't see the need for 4E and if 4E does come out (since it will), I really don't see where they can take it from there and hope a 5E never happens.

If it can be assured that 4E is the final installment of D&D and there'll be no 5E, then I may jump ship from 3.5E to 4E.

Or if 4E is a jump from 3.5E as 3.5E was a jump from 3E, I will consider 4E.

Or if WotC promises to convert ALL 3E/3.5E material to 4E, something they almost did so far.

Any of those will make me switch to 4E, otherwise WotC simply loses another fan and customer. (and will probably gain another pirate in protest)

Remove ads