D&D 4E 4E is to be announced at GenCon?

mhensley

First Post
Here's the latest rumor of an impending 4th edition over at the Necromancer boards-

http://p208.ezboard.com/Quiet-aroun...mancergamesfrm9.showMessage?topicID=553.topic

It has been quiet.

Things are a bit slow on the business end, and I dont mean sales I mean plans.

What isnt obvious to the gaming public is that 4E is, in all likelihood, to be announced at GenCon.

Given that, the question becomes what do we as publishers do about it. WotC hasnt released info on if 4E will be open or if there will be limited invites to do supportive products (which is the widely speculated belief). But no one knows. So no one knows what types of products to do right now. Its kind of like the 3E to 3.5 lull.

No one has much interest in starting a 3.5 product knowing it will be invalidated on its release.

Plus we have to determine if we will support 4E (if allowed) or stick with 3.5. And we have to guess what the audience will do. Will most people stick with 3.5 or will they go to 4E.

I'll admit, if allowed, I would happily support 4E if it is a viable system. I have always supported the current system of D&D. Now, I may tweak it to my liking, but I use the current rule set. I expect most gamers to do the same. They may grumble but they will adopt the new rules.

So it is hard to plan and announce products with a production time of about 6 months to have it release several months before a change to a new edition. That doesnt seem very viable.

Basically, we are still figuring out what to do about all this.

Our partnership with Paizo puts us in great position. I am very happy and Necro is not dead at all, despite the quiet forums.

:eek:

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Heh... other publishers have made similar predictions in past years.

I can't rightly blame them, because it's their money they are investing after all. It probably pays to be careful.

But I wouldn't start ebaying your 3.5 books just yet.

(Or maybe you should... I could use some of the newer titles cheap... ;) )

JoeGKushner

First Post
And yet here's Paizo, their partner, coming out with Pathfinder, OGL modules, and other stuff. Either they've got an inside license to flip over instantly or something else is fishy eh?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So it is hard to plan and announce products with a production time of about 6 months to have it release several months before a change to a new edition. That doesnt seem very viable.

Basically, we are still figuring out what to do about all this.

Our partnership with Paizo puts us in great position.

Their partner, Paizo, seems quite capable of keeping a robust schedule. Considering how much weight is often given to info from Necro, it seems odd they would risk harming the sales of Paizo releases by floating such speculation. I cannot imagine that pleases anyone at Paizo.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I was under the impression that WotC was going to do all of their announcements at D&D Experience from now on, rather than GenCon. Of course, 40 years of GenCon, 4th edition, lots of synergy there.

Cheers,
Cam

Shazman

Banned
Banned
These '4E is right around the corner' rumors are getting tiresome. We've heard these for several years with no evidence to back it up. Enough already!

BlackMoria

First Post
I don't think a GenCon announcment will happen.

WOTC has already gone on record that all future announcements for D&D will take place during D&D Experience (formerly Winter Fantasy). 4E was not announced in the past D&D Experience so I would be surprised at a GenCon announcement.

Also, at D&D Experience, the question was put directly to the D&D staffers during a forum about 4E and the answer was (not a direct quote but in general) - 4E will come but it is still a ways off. Statement is supported by the steady D&D release schedule.

So, unless WOTC has done a complete about face since D&D Experience, I don't think an announcement is coming out of GenCon.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Yeah, you know we're just going to keep hearing it predicted every few months until it actually happens. It's an interesting time to be a gamer, you've got to admit. And, I suppose, a rather annoying time to be a third-party developer of D&D/d20 products.

Remove ads