• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Monster Manual excerpt

Ulthwithian

First Post
Maybe I'm being naive, but if the Succubus can't make people use daily powers... what's the point of the monster? The Succubus should be as strong as the party she comes up against. In 3.5, it was perfectly acceptable for a dominator to tell a dominatee, "Use your most powerful ability against that guy over there." Why would it not stay the same in 4E?

I can see two possible reasons why. First is that unscrupulous GMs would use the succubus to strip the part of daily powers before the BBEG walks in. The other is that players would unload all of their daily powers before the succubus gets a chance to dominate them into doing it against their friends.

*shrug* I don't see much of an issue with it, honestly.

Spatula

Explorer
ainatan said:
There are plenty stat-blocks for combat NPC's:

Human Guard Level 1 Soldier
Medium natural humanoid XP 100
Initiative + 4 Senses Perception +5
HP 31; Bloodied 15
AC 16; Fortitude 14, Reflex 13, Will 12
Speed 5
Halberd (standard; at-will) • Weapon Reach 2; +8 vs. AC; 1d10+2 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the human guard’s next turn.
Powerful Strike (standard, recharge 5,6) • Weapon Requires Halberd; Reach 2; +8 vs. AC; 1d10+6 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Crossbow (standard; at-will) • Weapon Range 15/30; +7 vs. AC 1d8+1 damage
Alignment Any Languages Common
Skills: Streetwise +5
Str 15 (+2) Dex 14 (+2) Wis 11 (+0)
Con 15 (+2) Int 10 (+0) Cha 12 (+1)
Equipment chainmail, crossbow, halberd, 20 bolts
I don't see any indication that the soldier is a classed NPC. In fact, the recharge power says pretty explicitly to me that it's not, since that's a monster feature that the PC classes don't get.

DandD

First Post
Ulthwithian said:
Maybe I'm being naive, but if the Succubus can't make people use daily powers... what's the point of the monster? The Succubus should be as strong as the party she comes up against.
Nope, she shouldn't, because she's not a boss-monster like a dragon, but only a controller (and she's not even the leader of her warband). She's a spy, an assassin, or just a 10-souls-crack-whore, and she's not designed for open combat. She doesn't have slick ninja-kung fu-moves. Her Devil Overlords don't send her to wipe the grin out of some poor adventourus schmocks. She exists to make kings and wizards sign deals with the devils from the Nine Hells. Beating up people to a bloody pulp is for brutes and soldiers, like the Malebranche and his Legion Devil Legionnaires or some other name double-thingie-monster. ;)
Her combat ablities are for when her disguise was foiled and she has to flee before being gutted up by people with magical pointy sticks and bat-guano-flinging dudes with a pointy hat, followed by chicks with bows and pointy ears. :D

HeinorNY

First Post
Spatula said:
I don't see any indication that the soldier is a classed NPC. In fact, the recharge power says pretty explicitly to me that it's not, since that's a monster feature that the PC classes don't get.
But NPC's have no class, by default. If you want to see the stat-blocks of a "classed" npc, it would be pretty much like PC stats.

Derren

Hero
DandD said:
Nope, she shouldn't, because she's not a boss-monster like a dragon, but only a controller (and she's not even the leader of her warband). She's a spy, an assassin, or just a 10-souls-crack-whore, and she's not designed for open combat. She doesn't have slick ninja-kung fu-moves. Her Devil Overlords don't send her to wipe the grin out of some poor adventourus schmocks. She exists to make kings and wizards sign deals with the devils from the Nine Hells. Beating up people to a bloody pulp is for brutes and soldiers, like the Malebranche and his Legion Devil Legionnaires or some other name double-thingie-monster. ;)
Her combat ablities are for when her disguise was foiled and she has to flee before being gutted up by people with magical pointy sticks and bat-guano-flinging dudes with a pointy hat, followed by chicks with bows and pointy ears. :D

And whats more "slick ninja-kung fu" than to defeat the party with their own ultra super sayan special powers?

Spatula

Explorer
ainatan said:
But NPC's have no class, by default.
Um, that's not true at all. You're possibly confusing the lack of "NPC classes" in 4e (classes designed to fill in the world with non-heroic characters) with a lack of classed NPCs, which most certainly do exist.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads