• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Monster Manual excerpt

tomtill

First Post
DandD said:
There is "flavor" text in the entry of the Pit Fiend that they wear ornated armour and have many different weapons. What we got was a naked scaly dude with wings and big fangs and one mace.

It's quite possible that "flavor"-text really is just meant to be "flavor".

That's fine. Flavor, with no or minor effects on mechanics.

I love different flavors being offered for the same mechanic.

But this is very different from the description of battle tactics being at odds with the description of a signature power.

That way lies madness (or at least, arguments).

DandD

First Post
Depends. I can't imagine anything less loyal than throwing your chest into a sword to defend a bat-winged girl who works for Team (D)Evil. :p

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
Actually, despite my liking for many aspects of 4th edition, the disconnect between the succubus' statistics and the text does disappoint me. True, I can houserule it, but I'm at the stage in my life and personal affairs where I'd prefer to use the very limited time I have for D&D to play, rather than work on houserules. ;)

Kishin

First Post
Shazman said:
That's pretty much the whole point of 4E. Makae it more minis-centric to sell more minis.

I thought it was to make it more anime?

Its so hard to keep these accusations straight lately....

Seriously, its like people have never heard of using coins and dice and nick-nacks on a battlemap.

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
Kishin said:
I thought it was to make it more anime?

Its so hard to keep these accusations straight lately....

Seriously, its like people have never heard of using coins and dice and nick-nacks on a battlemap.

Or my immemorial graph paper method. Draw map; use pencil to write in "A" for where Alfred is (example name), "B" for the location of Bertrand, "C" for Clarice, and so on. Monsters are 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. A character moves, two swipes of eraser, write in new location. Somehow, methinks I'm going to be able to run 4e without a single mini, precisely as I've run every other edition. ;)

AZRogue

First Post
Actually, the funny thing is I was looking at the succubus entry and wondering what levels to add to make her more deadly and dangerous and then it hit me: I don't have to do that anymore.

(m) Whip (standard; at-will ) * Weapon
Reach 2; +14 vs. Reflex; 1d4 + 6 damage and FOLLOWUP. Followup: +12 vs. Fort; the target can be Pulled 1 square, no effect on miss.

There. Now she can grab the buggers and make them come back. ;)

HeinorNY

First Post
AZRogue said:
No, the question is (I know my group), would they want to?
I would. ;)
WarCraft_Raneman043c.jpg

AllisterH

First Post
ainatan said:
The Succubus worths 400 XP.
Do you think 4 level 1 characters could beat her?

I think it would be a certainity but it would be a very long, boring and protracted battle. Mainly due to the fact that she can't one shot any of the PCs into the ground and thus 4 actions versus her one gives the advantage to the PCs.

Imagine, initative goes Succubus, PC #1-4

Round 1, Succubus dominates a PC, forces PC #1 to use a daily on PC #2. On average, none of the dailies will outright kill another PC so PC #2 is still alive. Thus, on the PCs turn, as long as one of the actions is to heal PC #2, no PC will die outright from the Succubus' turn. This still leaves 3 actions for the PCs to use on wailing on the Succubus.

Even with her defenses, on average, a 17 or higher roll will succeed thus even if she has a healing surge, the Succubus can't kill the PCs before the PCs do her in. I personally would never run such a battle for the players as what you will have is many rounds of combat where nobody hits and you get into a situation where the battle quickly become rote.

EDIT: I didn't optimize the Succubus but it fact, it makes the battle even more protracted but doesn't change the outcome even with her charming one

Last edited:

Remove ads