• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Monsters that scare the crap out of characters

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Yup. Two games ago, the foe started yelling out "The warforged. Kill the warforged first." And every bad guy concentrated their fire on that PC until they dropped. "The dragonborn. Drop the dragonborn next." This scares the players, and makes for a fun tactical challenge: how do the defenders stop them from hitting a known target?

I have got to start doing this in my game. The Hobgoblins were OK at it, and they really worked over the party a couple of times, but I think the duregar in Thunderspire Labyrinthe are going to have to get really organised and deal out some focussed damage.

"The Eladrin! Take down that damn Eladrin Paladin!"

Problem is, it's easier said than done.

I have got to start doing this in my game. The Hobgoblins were OK at it, and they really worked over the party a couple of times, but I think the duregar in Thunderspire Labyrinthe are going to have to get really organised and deal out some focussed damage.

"The Eladrin! Take down that damn Eladrin Paladin!"

Problem is, it's easier said than done.
Of course - the enemies shouldn't focus fire on the Defender - that's the only character that is supposed to be able to survive this for some time! They should target the Leader, Striker or Controller! The Defenders job is to make sure they fail at that.

Herschel

Adventurer
As others have said: focus fire and tactics. Stun/daze is also good.

I don't want to kill characters but that doesn't mean I don't try. ;v)

Remove ads