D&D 4E [4E Players, mainly] Ever thought of defecting to Pathfinder?

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
What is the concern with Essentials? I liked the lower complexity and the high production values in the books. I worry a bit that the soft cover books won't wear as well but they are easy to carry around.

Plus, the slayer is the Fighter class I have been missing since AD&D . . .
I agree with you, but for some reason, some folks are offended by WotC providing a plethora of options if some of those options don't appeal to them.

Haltherrion

First Post
I find it an interesting, timely topic.

My group has played 3.5E up until the end of 2009 when we moved to 4E. Personally, I've enjoyed the move. One of my players though has indicated he isn't all that taken with 4E which got me thinking about where to go with the gaming group should more of the players feel that way.

Pathfinder seemed like a good option at first because by all accounts it seems to have addressed some of 3.5E's shortcomings, although I'd need to research it more. I don't really know that much about it.

But in addition to mulling Pathfinder, I also polled the other players and found the first player is in a distinct minority. The rest of the group loves 4E. Moreover, as we discussed it, the 4E lovers among us don't actually want to go back to 3.5E or something much like it. It was fun at the time but the disparity between casters and non-casters in terms of both bookkeeping and the amount of time each consumed in a session does not appeal at all.

At this point, I don' think we will leave 4E but if we did, it would be either for something non-D&D based or possibly to a pre 3.0 D&D. The former is more likely.

buddhafrog

First Post
As I wrote earlier, I played my first two Pathfinder games this month. Really loved it. It convinced me to start my next two games (7 campaigns running for ESL students) not in Pathfinder, but in Essentials. I think Essentials does carry a little more resemblance to earlier editions. We'll see how it goes.

Jhaelen

First Post
What is the concern with Essentials? I liked the lower complexity and the high production values in the books. I worry a bit that the soft cover books won't wear as well but they are easy to carry around.

Plus, the slayer is the Fighter class I have been missing since AD&D . . .
Well, that's great! :)

Great for you, that is ;)

Myself I feel it's a waste of precious paper and ink :(

jhallum

Explorer
We've primarily been a 3 and 3.5 E group through 2008. We played 3.5 and 4 in separate games until a few weeks ago, when my players narrowly voted 4E off of the island by a vote of 5-3 (Yes, I have 8 players). We had played a variety of 4E games, including the Scales of War AP, but they never really caught the imagination of the players (we had just done the skill challenge with the war council too, and they hated every minute of it).

Very recently, we got on the pathfinder wagon. the other DM started the Council of Thieves last summer, and when Scales of War died, I'm started running Legacy of Fire. So far, the group seems to be engaged again, though we will see about that.

During the debriefing after each failed game, the feedback was that the game was not organic, players felt that their abilities dominated their character sheet, and didn't provide them with the flexibility as a player that they were used to. They also found it hard to define their personalities, and that in a world without a well defined setting, they weren't able to get into character. I've always felt that my group walks a weird line between RP and hack-and-slash, and I thought that 4E would appeal to them.

Pathfinder is good for us going forward, so I find it unlikely that we'll be going back to 4E. I like the idea behind 4E, and it certainly is more simple to work with as a DM, but as a player, I think I do agree with my players. 4E is a nice diversionary game for a short series of sessions, but I'm not sure that I could play in it (run it, sure) for a long campaign.

nnms

First Post
It's the DMing thing. 4E is so, so easy to DM. The thought of going back to a 3.x based system for DMing is enough to keep me from picking up Pathfinder. I do have the Pathfinder Campaign Setting and lots of their setting books. I run games in Golarion using 4E.

Remove ads