D&D 4E 4e Playtest Characters

Hey all. Now, to get this thread off the ground, I'm going to tell you this up front: These are *not* actual 4e playtest characters. These are my interpretations of what 4e characters are going to look like, based on the information we've been given up to this point.

-----

Race: Eladrin
Class/Level: Paladin 1

Ability Scores-
Strength 12 [+1]
Dexterity 16 [+3]
Constitution 10 [+0]
Intelligence 14 [+2]
Wisdom 14 [+2]
Charisma 16 [+3]

Defenses:
Armor Class 16 (Studded Leather)
Fortitude 12
Reflex 13
Will 13

Other Combat:
Initiative +8 (Trained)
Movement 6 Squares

Hit Points: 30 [Bloodied: 15]

Trained Skills:
Religion +7
Athletics +6
Persuasion +8

At Will:
Basic Melee Attack (Scimitar): [Standard Action] - d20+4 to hit, d6+1 damage. Critical: 19 or 20.
Fey Step: [Standard Action] - Move 8 squares.

Per Encounter:
Fey Leap: [Move Action] - Teleport to any unoccupied square within 8 squares of your current space.
Arcane Smite: [Standard Action] - d20+4 to hit [VS Will], 2d6+3 damage. Critical 19 or 20.
Second Wind: [Immediate Action] - When at or below Bloodied, regain 10 HP.

Per Day:
Shield of Faith: [Immediate Action] - Until the end of the encounter, one ally within 6 squares gets +3 to all their defenses.

-----

Race: Human
Class / Level: Warlock 1

Ability Scores -
Strength 10 [+0]
Dexterity 16 [+3]
Constitution 12 [+1]
Intelligence 14 [+2]
Wisdom 14 [+2]
Charisma 16 [+3]

Defenses:
Armor Class 14 (Padded Armor)
Fortitude 11
Reflex 14
Will 14

Other Combat:
Initiative +3
Movement 6 Squares

Hit Points: 19 (Bloodied: 10)

Trained Skills:
Arcane +7
Persuasion +8
Religion +7
Dungeoneering +7
Deception +8

At Will:
Eldritch Blast: [Standard Action] - d20+3 [VS Reflex] to hit, d6+3 damage. Range 8 squares.
Hideous Blow: [Standard Action] - d20 [VS Fortitude] to hit, d6+3 damage.

Per Encounter:
Human Spirit: [Immediate Action] - An attack made against your Fortitude, Reflex, or Will defense must be rerolled. The second result stands.
Nightmare Spinning: [Standard Action] - d20+3 [VS Will] to hit, target gets -2 to all defenses until the end of the encounter. Range 4 squares.
Second Wind: [Immediate Action] - When at or below Bloodied, regain 12 HP.

Per Day:
Hellmouth: [Standard Action] - d20+3 [VS Will] to hit, target is teleported to Hell for one round. 2d6 damage and target gets -2 to Attack, Damage, and Defenses until the end of the encounter. Melee range.

-----

Race: Elf
Class / Level: Cleric of Corellon 1

Ability Scores -
Strength 14 [+2]
Dexterity 20 [+5]
Constitution 14 [+2]
Intelligence 10 [+0]
Wisdom 14 [+2]
Charisma 12 [+1]

Defenses:
Armor Class 17 (Leather Armor)
Fortitude 13
Reflex 15
Will 14

Other Combat:
Initiative +5
Movement 7 squares

Hit Points: 26 (Bloodied: 13)

Trained Skills:
Nature +5
Perception +9 (Low Light Vision) (All non-Elves within 5 squares get +1 to their Perception checks.)

At Will:
Basic Ranged Attack (Longbow): [Standard Action] - d20+5 to hit, d8+2 damage. Range 18.
Basic Melee Attack (Mace): [Standard Action] - d20+2 to hit, d8+2 damage.
Touch of Healing: [Standard Action] - One Bloodied target heals 1d8+2 HP.

Per Encounter:
Elven Accuracy: [Immediate Action] - Reroll an attack, adding +2 to the normal result. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it is worse.
Faith in the Feylord: [Standard Action] - All allies within 6 squares gain an extra use of their Second Wind ability.
Second Wind: [Immediate Action] - When at or below Bloodied, regain 14 HP.

Per Day:
Rebuke Aberration: [Move Action] - d20+2 to hit [VS Will], 4d8 damage. 4 square radius, centered on you. Only effects Aberrations.

-----

Race: Tiefling
Class / Level: Rogue 1

Ability Scores-
Strength 14 [+2]
Dexterity 18 [+4]
Constitution 14 [+2]
Intelligence 14 [+2]
Wisdom 12 [+1]
Charisma 16 [+3]

Defenses:
Armor Class 16 (Leather Armor)
Fortitude 12
Reflex 16
Will 12

Other Combat:
Initiative +9 (Trained)
Movement 6 Squares

Hit Points: 20 (Bloodied: 10)

Trained Skills:
Deception +10
Sleight of Hand +9
Perception +6
Sneak +9
Persuasion +8
Acrobatics +9
Streetwise +7

At Will:
Melee Attack (Short Sword): [Standard Action] - d20+4 to hit, d6+2 damage. Critical 19 or 20.
Ranged Attack (Dart): [Standard Action] - d20+4 to hit, d4+2 damage. Range 4. Critical 19 or 20.
Sneak Attack: [Immediate Action] - If an attack hits an opponent against which you have Combat Advantage, deal an extra 2d6 damage.

Per Encounter:
Infernal Wrath: [Immediate Action] - When an opponent hits you with a Melee attack, they get -2 to all attacks for the rest of the encounter.
Combat Acrobatics: [Move Action] - Make an Acrobatics check [VS Reflex], if successful, you get +5 to your defenses against that opponent for one round.
Second Wind: [Immediate Action] - When at or below Bloodied, regain 14 HP.

Per Day:
Gouge: [Standard Action] - d20+4 to hit [VS Fortitude], you and all adjacent allies gain Combat Advantage against the Gouged opponent until the end of the encounter.

-----

Race: Dragonborn
Class / Level: Fighter 1

Ability Scores-
Strength 20 [+5]
Dexterity 10 [+0]
Constitution 18 [+4]
Intelligence 12 [+1]
Wisdom 12 [+1]
Charisma 12 [+1]

Defenses:
Armor Class 18 (Scale Armor)
Fortitude 16
Reflex 11
Will 11

Other Combat:
Initiative +0
Movement 4 Squares

Hit Points: 34 (Bloodied: 18)

Trained Skills:
Athletics +10
Dungeoneering +6
Endurance +9

At Will:
Melee Attack (Spear): [Standard Action] - d20+6 to hit, 1d8+5 damage.
Power Attack (Spear): [Standard Action] - d20+1 to hit, 1d8+10 damage.
Shield Wall: [Move Action] - Grant an adjacent ally a +2 Shield bonus to Armor Class.

Per Encounter:
Power of the Dragon: [Move Action] - You and all allies within 5 squares get +2 to Attack and Damage for one round.
Shield Slam: [Move Action] - d20+6 [VS Fortitude] to hit, gain Combat Advantage against the opponent hit.
Second Wind: [Immediate Action] - When at or below Bloodied, regain 18 HP.

Per Day:
Breath of Darigaaz: [Standard Action] - d20+5 [VS Reflex] to hit, 2d6 damage. Range 6.

-----

Any comments or such would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to give the less informed members of my group an understanding of what 4e is going to be like.

-TRRW

Last edited:

~Johnny~

First Post
I think this a great reverse-engineering of what we know/suspect about 4e characters. Good work!

Now some thoughts. Hellmouth and Breath of Darigaaz seems overpowered for first level, even as a per day. I'm curious as to the basis for a cleric of Corellon rebuking aberrations.

Also, I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but I'm not sure we'll see triple HP at first level. In Star Wars, there's very little scaling of weapon damage, so you need high HP at low levels to survive blaster shots. I'm sure HP will be much higher than we're used to (maybe double?) but triple seems like a lot unless Defenses are a bit lower than in SW:SE.

One general question: what's our latest information on how ability scores translate into modifiers? Your system seems to differ from the one on this miniatures stat card:

monstestat.jpg

I haven't seen much discussion of that point.

Lackhand

First Post
Current accepted wisdom is that Stat Bonus = floor((stat score - 10)/2) + (?)(level / 2)
(edit: as Third Wizard says, this is for skills. For arm-wrestling, bar-bending, modifying hit-points, and so on, it doesn't include the level term)

Where (?) is "ceiling" in the stat blocks above, but I'd think floor is the more natural assumption. Either works, of course.

The defenses don't look right to me -- the paladin's are too low, though of course a combination of special abilities and base-class-bonuses hide a multitude of sins.
(edit:Why too low? because you seem to be rounding up for skills, but down for saves. Stopthat. :) )

Oh, and of course, the "d20" in the to-hit sections is unnecessary. I'd imagine it's something more like the Spined Devil's "+8 dex vs Reflex" or what-have-you.

Last edited:

Novem5er

First Post
I like it! I'm not concerned that some of your numbers may be off (of course they'll be off a little... the game's not out yet!). I'm not even concerned that some of your powers are made up. I just really enjoyed the "feel" for these characters, the presentation of their stats/abilities, and what they can do on the battlefield.

I hope 4e characters will resemble something like you've shown, as it will really excite players to jump in and play.

Introducing new players to D&D can be tough now. They look at their character sheet and always respond with "umm... what can I do?"

I think 4e will solve that, without limiting players to just doing those mechanical options. After all, this is PnP, so there will be plenty of room for dramatic moments and actions.

~Johnny~

First Post
ainatan said:
I still don't get the Perception +5, Spot +10 on the Spined Devil card.
I just suspect that shows a difference between how monsters get skills in 4th edition. Perhaps more 1/2-level general competence, less specific specialized application of skill points.

EDIT: Just saw what you were talking about. Weird.

Remathilis

Legend
ainatan said:
I still don't get the Perception +5, Spot +10 on the Spined Devil card.

My take: A Spined Devil has keen eyesight. When using Perception for the Spot Action (any check based on seeing something) it rolls 1d20+10. For all other uses of perception (listening, sense motive, seaching, etc) it rolls 1d20+5. The +5 extra bonus is a racial bonus, if you will.

renevq

Explorer
Remathilis said:
My take: A Spined Devil has keen eyesight. When using Perception for the Spot Action (any check based on seeing something) it rolls 1d20+10. For all other uses of perception (listening, sense motive, seaching, etc) it rolls 1d20+5. The +5 extra bonus is a racial bonus, if you will.

Sort of like a wookie's bonus to intimidate in SWSE

The Defenses are based off the SWSE "+2 to one Defense, +1 to another". I figured Paladins didn't get Divine Grace until a higher level, otherwise they would be a lot higher. (Also, I added incorrectly, like a chump; I'll go through and edit them for correct mathness.)

Paladin: +2 Fortitude, +1 Will
Warlock: +2 Will, +1 Reflex
Rogue: +2 Reflex, +1 Will
Fighter: +2 Fortitude, +1 Reflex
Cleric: +2 Will, +1 Fortitude

The d20+X format was chosen basically because the people I'm running this preview for have little to no D&D experience. Mostly White Wolf and Legend of the Five Rings players.

The Corellon vs. Aberrations thing just kinda came to me as an alternative to Turn Undead. Why would a god of Fey and the Woodlands care about undead all that much. I'd figure he'd be way more into the stopping of something more antithetical of Fey. I picked Aberrations, but in retrospect, Constructs might make more sense.

The Hellmouth and Breath of Darigaaz powers are a bit on the high side, and will probably see some scaling down after this playtest round. Only time will tell.

The Spine Devil is a 6th level monster, and as such gets +3 to all defenses, skill checks, attack rolls, and damage (if I remember correctly). The attributes listed on the previewish characters are based on the assumption that 8 is the base (and thus, at a 0 penalty), and it scales as it does now.

Thanks to all who've remarked so far. I'm glad people like the work I've done.

Any further commentary is appreciated.

-TRRW

Last edited:

Remove ads