• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Race Anti-Survivor

Which Races are most likely to stay in 4e?

• Human

Votes: 203 95.8%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 196 92.5%
  • Elf

Votes: 196 92.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 154 72.6%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 58 27.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 60 28.3%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 71 33.5%

• Poll closed .

mxyzplk

Explorer
In order:

1. Pull the gnome. It's too similar to dwarves and halflings.
2. Put the half-orc in an expansion.
3. Put the half-elf in the same expansion.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Mad Mac said:
Gnome is obviously gone. They've been the least popular race forever, even though I'm rather fond of them.

Gnomes aren't least popular. They're just more polarizing. Folks either get it or don't, and love or hate them.

Seriously, dwarves are probably played less than anything for personality, but have some stats worth keeping. Halfings are mostly irritating to anyone that plays in teh same game with them, but they stay because of some tolkien throw-back.

Half-elves and half-orcs would be better served as lineage feats, IMO.

But yeah, I agree, Gnomes are mostly likely getting the axe. Though I'm sure they'll follow up quickly, if only for their Eberron importance. It may be a reason I don't get 4e though.

I'm really tired of the gnome haters setting out to ruin others fun. I don't want elves removed, just because I don't play them, but some people are such jerks that they have to take it out on others.

Arkhandus

First Post
If they axe Gnomes, the chances I'll never touch 4E at all, not even for a single fluff-book or a single campaign under some other DM, will drastically increase.

3.5E is barely tolerable enough that I'm willing to buy the Book of Nine Swords for its creative goodness and wuxia/anime-ish flavor. 4E will most likely be incompatible with 3.0 games, so I wouldn't even conceive of buying anything 4E just to port into my 3.0 games.

If there are no Gnomes in 4E, I won't bother to pick it up at all.

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Glyfair said:
[Gnomes] do in Eberron. That's is why I think they are a good choice to make non-core and publish a 4E version elsewhere (the 4E Eberron update, the 4E Races of Stone, etc).

That would probably work. Although, I think gnomes are an atavism from the days when dwarves could not be magic-users/mages/wizards.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Brennin Magalus said:
That would probably work. Although, I think gnomes are an atavism from the days when dwarves could not be magic-users/mages/wizards.

I've never found gnomes to be comparable to dwarves at all, actually.

They'd add gnomes afterwards in some other product, but why wait? Heck, waiting for the Eberron update would be breaker enough, but the combination of taking 6 months to be able to play a game...

Hm...did they actually say the race that was out of was out of the PHB itself, or the Core books?

My thinking is that what's being taken out, whatever it is, might show up in the MM. Unless its Core as a whole, then I guess we wait.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads