• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Spell Casting Questions

WSmith

First Post
Since the Vancian Magic Sacred Cow appears to be almost slaughtered, I was wondering if 4e was going to overhaul spell casting and the whole spell level scheme. I looked all over, both here and WotC boards, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

1. Are "spell levels" going to now correspond with the "class level" , (i.e., 4th level wizards earns 4th level spells, a 5th level wizard earns 5th level spells?) With the larger spread of levels (1-30) I can actually see this somehow being applied. The wizard would get less spells per level but more over the course of time, hence equaling out.

2. 0 level spells: are they being kept as such, (cantrips or Orisons) or are they being rolled into 1st level type spells.

BlackMoria

First Post
mattbas said:
Hey there,

An interview with Chris Perkins on the Gaming Steve.com site (at the very end) Perkins states there will be 30 levels of spells/powers.

That would imply that the traditional spell levels of 1 to 9 are gone and the legacy spells are going to be parceled out in a 1 to 30 progression. Or maybe a 1 to 20 progression with 21 to 30 being some new epic spell system (and hopefully, something better than the epic handbook spell seed system which I loathe).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Right. Powers (which include spells) will go from levels 1-30. So probably no 0 level spells. However, we do know from a recent playtest that ray of frost is included, so guessing cantrips and first level spells will merge.

And theres more. You also have: at will, per encounter, and per day powers. There is also something called "rituals", which seem to be longer casting out of combat spells. And some things will key off action points. So there are a number of ways to differentiate things along with level.

Exen Trik

First Post
It look like the level of a power has more to do with requirements than any mechanical effect of the spell. At least, I don't think there will be any correlation to saves, damage or effects specifically, but things like costs and some skill checks may use it somehow.

Looks the same as magic items, actually.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
One of the things I am hoping is that the rituals will come with lots of advice as how to construct rituals. One of the problems I have always had with D&D is that while the magic system had an enormous number of particular effects that a magic user could have there was very little to support the ritual as a plot device in the game other than wish.

Fantasy stories often have a ritual as the mcguffin (very common in Buffy or Charmed, Neverwinter Nights 2 has it also) where the magic user protaganists need a ritual to bind, banish or otherwise over come the big bad and they need to gather ingredients and information in order to complete this ritual before the enemy can be defeated. Or they can be used to protect an area and can become part of the wizards aresnal over time but cannot be whipped out in the middle of combat.

WSmith

First Post
Hum. I did some digging. Apparently, saves will go something like this:

Using the 4e preview card of the spined devil

Say you want to cast a spell that would save against REF. You would roll a d20, add "something" for magic (not sure what, maybe INT bonus, maybe a level modifier, maybe some form of both) and want to beat the target devil's REF score.

I wished I remembered where I saw the reference of how saves were going to work, cause I would post it.

tecnowraith

First Post
I came up with this layout over at the WotC boards.

Code:
TABLE: 4e Spellcaster           HIT DIE: D8

BASE ATTACK FORT  REF   WILL                At     Per       Per 
LVL BONUS       SAVE  SAVE  SAVE  SPECIAL      Will   Encounter  Day
 1  +0           +0    +2    +2   Ability       3       3         1
 2  +1           +0    +3    +3   Ability       3       3         1
 3  +2           +1    +3    +3   Ability       4       3         1
 4  +3           +1    +4    +4   Ability       5       4         2

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads