D&D 4E 4e: the new paradigm

4E: the new paradigm

Kurotowa

Legend
lutecius said:
What bugs me in “per encounter martial powers” is the “per encounter” part, not the “powers”. I hoped some of my previous posts had clarified that.

It’s physical action being treated like ammo that I find unrealistic.

No, I think I hit it on the head. That you call it a "physical action" shows that you're still thinking of them as a simple maneuver like a thrust or parry. They're not.

From a simulationist point of view, these are the special moves of advanced training. Instead of a simple parry and strike, it's a difficult and rarely used parry followed by a surprise flying lunge (actual example from my fencing days). It takes some effort to set up right and it won't catch anyone off guard a second time.

From a narrativist point of view, these are the signature techniques of the character. It's what makes them memorable and stand out from a crowd. They need to be available on a regular basis, but not so regular as to become devalued in importance. Once a fight is enough for flashy finishing moves and dramatic table turners.

From a gamist point of view, these are a necessary element of tactical variety. In 3e, a fighter only has at-will abilities and so endlessly repeats the same optimal action, while a wizard only has expended abilities and so hoards them at the expense of frequent inaction. The encounter ability is a compromise that encourages use without overuse.

So any way you slice it, these aren't simple cuts and thrusts. These are the expressions of the exceptional potential that makes PCs stand out. They're not easy to do and can't just be repeated as if they were a touch drill.

Surgoshan

First Post
robertliguori said:
That would be interesting. You have two stacks of hit points, one based on morale, and one based on actual resistance to injury. You can regain the first, but not the second. This would mean that you couldn't use healing surges to get above the bloodied condition.

Huh. I kind of like that.

Ew, yuck. That just sounds like nasty bookkeeping. Keep it simple and just treat all HP as an abstract. Or else the non-bloodied wounds can be described as bruising and painful, but they're enough to slow you and make you less effective on defense without showing any wounds. Then the bloodied wounds tend to be cuts and stabs that become deadly only with accumulation. And if you use a surge, then it turns out it was just an enthusiastic scrape rather than a severed artery.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Li Shenron said:
Hurts me, and currently is the only threat to make me an ex-customer of the game.
Given the amount of posts you seem to have on an array of 4E features, this comment seems out of place. Have you changed your mind on a number of 4E features? What is the "only threat" that remains?

BryonD

Hero
VBMEW-01 said:
I've always been a Story First kind of DM, and its gotten real old getting my hand slammed in the door by a myriad of rules that say: you can't do that! That break the rules!
You mean things like wearing rings even though you don't meet the level requirement?

BryonD

Hero
Mistwell said:
So 25% of the poll responders agree with the OP. Does this have any meaning?
In the most pro-4e site going the positive only outdoes the negative by 2 to 1.
What fraction of the fan base does WotC think is a good idea to get rid of?

BryonD

Hero
SSquirrel said:
I never thought the GNS terminology was good for anything. The people who spend too much time focusing on the GNS angle seem to miss the overall picture. You're playing a game w/friends and it's supposed to be fun.
Then why do we need a new edition? If it is this simple, save money, use the books you have, play 3E with your friends and have fun. There. Done.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Mistwell said:
So 25% of the poll responders agree with the OP. Does this have any meaning?

Well, since we do not know anything about answers #1 or #4 and only #2 and #3 address a new paradigm, it really boils down to 33% of people who agree with the OP and who also see the new paradigm.

MichaelK

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
I mean, I exaggerate a decent amount. People fall asleep, but its mostly because we decide to game in the one time our schedules all overlap, normally ending up with at least one of the players having only 4 hours of sleep before the game or is showing up after working for 12 hours straight.

No, I assumed you meant figuratively. In fact I have players literally fall asleep in my sessions all the time, but that's because we get to game very rarely and so play for 15 hours straight when we can all get together on the same night without work the next day. Someone falling asleep is normally how we decide on the end of the session.

But this is exactly why we need to keep the game moving and keep everyone concentrating on the game. When the game gets slow or as soon as a player feels their actions are useless in the combat they either fall asleep, start talking to the person next to them, start asking the whole group what they are doing on the weekend, etc.

Absolutely, I agree.

I'm not saying that 4e will SOLVE this. It certainly won't. But it helps.

I don't believe that it will for my group. From what I have seen (which I aknowledge is not a complete game) it would in fact make these problems vastly worse in my opinion.

Near the beginning of 3e, we saw some of those builds. Recently, however, no one in my group would be caught dead playing something that bad. My characters are severe min-maxers.

I think you may find problems regardless of the system you play then. I personally find min-maxing to be a problematic gaming style (though if it works for you and your group who am I to judge).

I know. I just never write my own adventures. I admit, I'm too lazy. I haven't even attempted to come up with my own idea for an adventure since shortly after 3e came out and my players derailed my plot so badly I couldn't recover it.

Ah, my solution is to not write adventures and to have no (preordained) plot. But improv is a difficult style to manage.

However, not every battle is unique.

Really? I try to make every battle a little unique. Even if it's only, "so this time you're fighting orcs on a flight of stairs".

Some of those examples seem like cheap excuses to remove people's powers or make it so they can't play their characters. I'm all for interesting environments. I'm not about inventing monsters with abilities to counter the players or environments specifically created to make a player stop what he's been doing. If he's been doing it, it means he likes to do it. I'd just like to make it more fun for him by giving him better options.

As a DM my objective is, I imagine, the same as yours. To entertain the players and give them a wonderful gaming experience. I have no desire to "beat" the players and "win" or to teach them a lesson or control what they do. Just for the record.

To entertain the players in combat requires an entertaining fight which could come from any number of sources. This entertainment doesn't have to come from the mechanical aspects, perhaps its comical and you have 20 goblins riding dire-kittens and hitting the characters with bladders on a stick, perhaps it has beautiful imagery or is spoken in rhyming couplets or whatever rocks your players' boats, but I'll focus on the mechanical aspects being entertaining for this discussion.

In order for any mechanical aspect to be interesting it has to do two things, 1) occur and 2) be relevant to the PCs.

A monster could be immune to non-magical weapons, but if everyone in the party has magical weapons and only ever uses them then that aspect is not interesting. (Hopefully the monster has something else interesting about them than just that though so all is not lost, the party can be entertained by some other aspect).

A monster who is immune to an attack that the party always uses is guaranteed to satisfy both criteria, it'll occur since the player always trips opponents and it'll be relevant to the PCs because it's evading their primary ability.

This isn't something you'll want to use commonly, but it is definitely something interesting.

If your player is sensitive about his ability and would be upset by it being nullified, then absolutely you should avoid using this technique. But if... (as your example implied)... they are bored by having used the trip attack every action for the last 5 levels, then give them an entertaining reason to try some other maneuver.

self-buffing favored soul

Yes, unfortunately divine classes tend to be a little busted. CODzilla et al.

My players universally declared Warblade from Bo9S to be way cooler than the fighter.

Agreed. I love Bo9S. Thankfully the Bo9S feats can be taken as fighter bonus feats letting you dip into them if you want.

Also thanks for sharing your experiences with simulationism at the bottom of your post. Since they're personal experiences exclusive to your group I can't really respond, but it was interesting to read about them.

Remove ads