• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Wizard = Harry Potter Wizard?

Hairfoot

First Post
snkline said:
*sigh* Why does it have to be "influenced by Harry Potter"[?]
Is it even conceivable that when the design team was deciding whether or not to bin Vancian magic, they didn't - at least once - say "plus, it'll increase D&D's appeal to all the kids who like Harry Potter"?

It's not the primary aim, of course, but it would be naive to think it wasn't a consideration.

Cadfan

First Post
"Has wand" /= "Harry Potter"

"Doesn't run out of spells" /= "Harry Potter"

"Has wand" + "doesn't run out of spells" /= "Harry Potter"

1of3

Explorer
The only part of 4E that reminds me of Harry Potter is "Adventurer's Vault". I never read "vault" anywhere except for Harry Potter.

In fact the 4E wizard is quite different from Harry Potter. In 4E, you know, globes are good for something.

I think wand implements are just a small start to create something like Harry Potter magic. We'll also need to see the rules for potions. Though if they are indeed created by Rituals, it might be able to replicate the Harry Potter feel...
The biggest problem with replicating Harry Potter is that there doesn't seem to be a direct correlations between levels and spells. The unspeakable curses can be used by any mage, can't they? (You just need to really mean it...)

1of3 said:
The only part of 4E that reminds me of Harry Potter is "Adventurer's Vault". I never read "vault" anywhere except for Harry Potter.

In fact the 4E wizard is quite different from Harry Potter. In 4E, you know, globes are good for something.
Nah, that was in Banewarrens (Malhavoc Press adventure set in Ptolus). (Our DM had the habit of saying "Valut" when "Vault" was written. The thing has gotten nearly as funny as the player that always insists on casting "Child of Faith" to improve his AC ;) )

1of3 said:

Vault of the Drow?

snkline

First Post
Hairfoot said:
Is it even conceivable that when the design team was deciding whether or not to bin Vancian magic, they didn't - at least once - say "plus, it'll increase D&D's appeal to all the kids who like Harry Potter"?

It's not the primary aim, of course, but it would be naive to think it wasn't a consideration.

Maybe, my only point though, was that it isn't like the designers were saying to themselves "Why don't we make the magic system more like Harry Potter's".

If the new system makes it easier for people to run a Potterverse campaign, great, I have no problem with that. I have no problem with Harry Potter influencing the rules even. I just don't see it as anywhere near a direct influence to the rules I've seen.

People say they will see a HP influence if there are potion making rules in the rituals.... but making a potion certainly would be a ritual to ancient shamans, witches, and "high" magic users. In fact, the making of things like potions and charms would be central to many ancient magical practices.

Now, if the designers provide example pseudo-greek like "Expecto Patronum" (or whatever they say in HP), for each spell, then maybe I'd agree they drew directly from Harry Potter :)

Fobok

First Post
Actually, I see more Dresden influence than Harry Potter. (Or, more likely, they draw on the same influence, which is probably Gandalf.)

4e Wizards can have multiple implements. Dresden has a staff and a blasting rod, used with different spells.

4e Wizards have rituals for spells that aren't immediate effect. Dresden has a few instant-effect abilities and the rest through rituals.

There's probably more, but this is enough to see the connection.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Fobok said:
Actually, I see more Dresden influence than Harry Potter. (Or, more likely, they draw on the same influence, which is probably Gandalf.)

4e Wizards can have multiple implements. Dresden has a staff and a blasting rod, used with different spells.

4e Wizards have rituals for spells that aren't immediate effect. Dresden has a few instant-effect abilities and the rest through rituals.

There's probably more, but this is enough to see the connection.
Multiple implements: Mad-Eye didn't use a wand, he used his walking staff. Hagrid used an umbrella (although the books speculate there is a wand hidden inside.) Goblins, house-elves, and some wizards do not need implements at all. (shrug) Sounds fairly on-par with 4E so far...I'm not familiar with Dresden, so I don't know how closely the 4E rules are trekking with it.

I really wish we could get some more information on rituals. There are a ton of examples that I can think of in the Harry Potter novels that I would love to start planning for (the aging line that Dumbledore scribes around the Goblet of Fire, the protection spells that Hermeione uses to hide from the Death Eaters, the coins that Dumbledore's Army uses to set up meetings, the polyjuice potion, etc.) Come on guys, what's the hold-up? :)

Remove ads