Planescape 5 New D&D Books Coming in 2023 -- Including Planescape!

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite. The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s...

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite.

DnD 2023 Release Schedule.png

The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s Eleven meets D&D” and an anthology of short adventures revolving around heists, which can be dropped into existing campaigns.

In Spring 2023, giants get a sourcebook just like their traditional rivals, the dragons, did in Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be a deep dive into hill, frost, fire, cloud, and storm giants, plus much more.

Summer 2023 will have two releases. The Book of Many Things is a collection of creatures, locations, and other player-facing goodies related to that most famous D&D magic item, the Deck of Many Things. Then “Phandelver Campaign” will expand the popular Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D Starter Set into a full campaign tinged with cosmic horror.

And then last, but certainly not least, in Fall 2023, WotC revives another classic D&D setting – Planescape. Just like Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, Planescape will be presented as a three-book set containing a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign in a slipcase. Despite the Spelljammer comparison they did not confirm whether it would also contain a DM screen.

More information on these five titles will be released when we get closer to them in date.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
@Quickleaf My group has been playing the included adventure in Spelljammer since it came out and having a blast. Now I've been aware of the setting for 35+ years, but never had any of the old books (just always liked the concept) and the players had either never heard of it or never played either.

I'd say that the set is a very good introduction to the setting. The adventure is laser focused on the primary plot, giving enough info and room to be expanded on wherever I want (or wherever the players decide to go). Same with the guide. It's more about inspiration that prescription, if that makes sense.

I get the feeling that my players are going to want to continue in the setting at the end of the adventure, and I feel like I have plenty to hang a campaign on if they do. I'll probably start digging into either DMGuild or older books to help flesh it out, but I've also got a lot of my own ideas to bring to the frame from my own sci-fi and fantasy background.

I will say that Boo's Menagerie is probably worth the price of admission alone. Some of the best and most challenging monsters WoTC has put out yet. And I've been pleasantly surprised at how tough a lot of the single encounter adventuring days that the adventure puts together has been. Wildspace is freaking dangerous.
I bought the monsters from Spelljammer on D&D Beyond (the first time I've ever bought anything from them), then transferred all the information into a reformatted Word doc so I don't have to be beholden to the cloud. The rest of the book is of no use to me.

Also: is it true that in the older editions of DND, you could use your dice to represent Modron pcs?
Depends on the modron's rank - some of the base-level ones are indeed geometric shapes similar to dice (monodrones, tridrones, and quadrones especially), but it becomes far less true once you get into the hierarch-tier modrons.

Ah, well. I thought I had heard that they did weird things when MPMM came out, so I got confused.
Replying to an old post, but basically they removed MToF and VGtM from being available for digital purchase but if you already had them, they remain in your library. I've verified with other people in my group that the books are still available to them via campaign sharing so they haven't removed access that way either.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the move from 5E to the upcoming books for the core books. There really isn't a clean way to have the old books available while selling the new books so they may just have an archive section for old content or something.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Lega
Replying to an old post, but basically they removed MToF and VGtM from being available for digital purchase but if you already had them, they remain in your library. I've verified with other people in my group that the books are still available to them via campaign sharing so they haven't removed access that way either.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the move from 5E to the upcoming books for the core books. There really isn't a clean way to have the old books available while selling the new books so they may just have an archive section for old content or something.
Based on what they are laying down, the Legacy system they have set up should work for using old Races and Subclasses with new material

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Hard to say its not a new edition when you relegate the 2014 books to old content only accessible if you already own it, but I'm sure they'll find some way to spin it.

Hard to say its not a new edition when you relegate the 2014 books to old content only accessible if you already own it, but I'm sure they'll find some way to spin it.
Yep, but also hard to see them just giving everyone who bought the 2014 books the new books without finding a way to charge them.

On that note, isn't their new VP a guy from Microsoft which has successfully found a way to charge you every year for the latest version of Office?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep, but also hard to see them just giving everyone who bought the 2014 books the new books without finding a way to charge them.

On that note, isn't their new VP a guy from Microsoft which has successfully found a way to charge you every year for the latest version of Office?
Well, obviously yhe new books are a new charge.

Remove ads

Remove ads