Planescape 5 New D&D Books Coming in 2023 -- Including Planescape!

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite. The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s...

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite.

DnD 2023 Release Schedule.png

The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s Eleven meets D&D” and an anthology of short adventures revolving around heists, which can be dropped into existing campaigns.

In Spring 2023, giants get a sourcebook just like their traditional rivals, the dragons, did in Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be a deep dive into hill, frost, fire, cloud, and storm giants, plus much more.

Summer 2023 will have two releases. The Book of Many Things is a collection of creatures, locations, and other player-facing goodies related to that most famous D&D magic item, the Deck of Many Things. Then “Phandelver Campaign” will expand the popular Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D Starter Set into a full campaign tinged with cosmic horror.

And then last, but certainly not least, in Fall 2023, WotC revives another classic D&D setting – Planescape. Just like Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, Planescape will be presented as a three-book set containing a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign in a slipcase. Despite the Spelljammer comparison they did not confirm whether it would also contain a DM screen.

More information on these five titles will be released when we get closer to them in date.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Seeing the new DLance book and how it’s very light on lore, I feel kind of bad for Planescape because it will get the same barebones treatment when there is a wealth of lore there
The DL book is an adventure. It actually has too much lore for an adventure IMO.

Planescape is supposed to be a setting. Not sure if they do more than SJ, but we can hope!

Scribe

Legend

teitan

Legend
I actually prefer 5e's unified art style. It makes the game feel more cohesive, and is less jarring between settings.
I think it waters down what makes each setting unique and removes the visual cue for what makes Planescape different from Forgotten Realms from Dragonlance. I looked at the new DL adventure and it looked like Tyranny of Dragons to me. With Halflings looking like Kender since 3e though it’s not saying much! But some settings like Dark Sun part of what defined them was their visual style. If you John Blanche or Karl Kopinski’s Warhammer designs and gave them to Jim Lee or John Byrne, two great artists, you wouldn’t have something that looks like Warhammer anymore. It looks like a totally different world. So why would you have cookie cutter art styles take those Tom Baxa, Brom and Tony D designs and render them in technically beautiful renders that does not demonstrate those worlds? You do a disservice to all the artists involved. The original artists who envisioned are lost and the new artists are judged on the old artists strong visions. You can’t have Rob Liefeld draw Sandman anymore than you can have Sam Kieth draw Youngblood and both books really be true to those characters and stories.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide - somewhat underrated & maligned, perfectly decent big-picture overview of Sword Coast. But see the Wildemount book for what this could have been.
I think if you combine SCAG with SKT, cut out a bunch of fat, and take the relevant MM monsters needed for the adventure you get a 128 page setting, 128 page adventure, and 64 page monsters…and you see what an awesome three book slipcase could be.

Seriously, if you imagine all that as new stuff not rehash (ie, if the monsters were new and not already in the MM) that would be one hell of a three book slipcase. Thick, and more spendy, but pretty awesome imho. They should do exactly that for other parts of Forgotten Realms.

teitan

Legend
Considering everything not called Volo's or MToF is perpetually in print, I'm not sure this says much about sales.

Only that it will (at some future point) be printed again, with the errata.
Will it? D&DOne is right around the corner and we still really do not know how compatible it is with 5e. We had previews of 3e that made it seem like it was going to be pretty compatible with 2e and when it finally came out it was a lot of changes.

Scribe

Legend
Will it? D&DOne is right around the corner and we still really do not know how compatible it is with 5e. We had previews of 3e that made it seem like it was going to be pretty compatible with 2e and when it finally came out it was a lot of changes.

Until proven otherwise, I see no reason to believe they are going to kill the golden goose that is 5e.

Maybe the origin of the glitchlings is rogue modrons who changed the body to escape from the other modrons, and with the new shape they could wear standar armours.

Bariaurs can't be only centaurs with horns. If WotC creates the right group of cute bariaurs heroines, then there is more merchandising to be sold. Why not a group of female bariaurs studing in Stryxhaven academy? At least some animated short. I know it sounds a totally ridiculous idea, but because this it can work for comedy.

The idea of a dungeon-crawl+datin sim set in Sigil is so crazy what even it could work. Seriously, Hasbro is wishing to find new ideas to sell D&D products for consumers what aren't TTRPG-players. In the hands of the right scriptwritters that dating sim might the perfect mixture of fantasy and romantic comedy. Even later it could become an animated movie.

* Oficially the 3.5 planar handbook said the faction war ended in Sigil, and this is not allowed there. But nobody has said about the Gate-towns.

* Let's remember the "astral dominions" have been added to D&D Cosmology. How would be the astral dominions created by forgotten or dead deities? Maybe these are still populated by petitioners, or ruled by dragon overlords, or genies or giant kings.

Petitioner was maybe the most broken monster-template in 3rd Ed, for a storytelling element with a great potential.

* I guess WotC will be awaiting the possible new ideas by the players and creators when Planescape was unlocked in DMGuild.

* What if a zone within the Feywild is too altered by the Dreamland?

* What if a new demiplane is created working as a bridge between Sigil and Ravnica? And with lot of farm zones to trade aliments to the planar cosmopolis.

* What if any "wildspace" were altered by any planes? For example a wildspace affected by Archeronte would be like the place for a Battle-Royal videogame.

Remove ads

Remove ads