Planescape 5 New D&D Books Coming in 2023 -- Including Planescape!

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite. The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s...

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite.

DnD 2023 Release Schedule.png

The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s Eleven meets D&D” and an anthology of short adventures revolving around heists, which can be dropped into existing campaigns.

In Spring 2023, giants get a sourcebook just like their traditional rivals, the dragons, did in Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be a deep dive into hill, frost, fire, cloud, and storm giants, plus much more.

Summer 2023 will have two releases. The Book of Many Things is a collection of creatures, locations, and other player-facing goodies related to that most famous D&D magic item, the Deck of Many Things. Then “Phandelver Campaign” will expand the popular Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D Starter Set into a full campaign tinged with cosmic horror.

And then last, but certainly not least, in Fall 2023, WotC revives another classic D&D setting – Planescape. Just like Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, Planescape will be presented as a three-book set containing a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign in a slipcase. Despite the Spelljammer comparison they did not confirm whether it would also contain a DM screen.

More information on these five titles will be released when we get closer to them in date.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I disagree with your personal opinion here. The DMG could do a better job providing useful and varied optional rules and playstyle advice, but IMO that is absolutely the job it should be doing.
The Player's Handbook's primary concern is being a handbook of options and rules for players, often for those newer to the game. It's mostly a good book, because it does what it's intended to do. The Monster Manual is a manual of monsters for DMs to use in their games, typically including the most iconic and common monsters in D&D. It's mostly a good book, because it does what it's intended to do. These books have more defined niches and intents and fulfill them pretty well. However, in the 5e DMG, instead of developing the 3 pillars of D&D and telling DMs how to use/balance them, it wastes pages explaining the most complicated cosmology in the history of D&D, listing the monsters in the Monster Manual, optional rules that don't fit the intent of 5e because WotC forgot to make the game "modular", and other poorly thought-out parts of the game that make the book feel unfinished and badly designed.

There's a reason why "no one reads the DMG" is a meme/joke and why a lot of other systems don't have an equivalent of it. Lots of other TTRPGs have "player's handbooks" and "monster manuals". A lot of them don't have a "DM/GM's guide" because its role in D&D is nebulous, poorly thought out, and it doesn't fulfill the niche it should fill. And that's because the Guide for DMs is for some reason not primarily concerned with guiding dungeon masters (especially newer ones) at how to run the game well.

The main playstyle is not well-supported in D&D 5e. People have been complaining about the half-assed Exploration and Social Interaction rules in D&D since the beginning. The DMG doesn't do a good job of teaching new DMs how to DM. As someone that was introduced to D&D through 5e, I got more information on how to be a good DM from a handful of Matthew Colville videos than I ever did from the 5e DMG. Because it fails at what should be its primary purpose. There are a lot of bad D&D Youtube channels out there. I'm lucky I stumbled across a good one.

If the DMG doesn't teach DMs how to be good DMs, it is poorly designed. Especially if it wastes a lot of space that could be used on teaching DMs how to be good DMs on half-developed optional rules, a poor attempt at explaining how to game design, a gazetteer of the Great Wheel, and other random stuff not necessary for teaching DMs how to DM.

There is such a thing as good game design. There is such a thing as badly designed or poorly thought out books, not just based on opinion. Subjective preferences and playstyles have a place in D&D. It should support multiple playstyles. But it shouldn't be prioritized over educating newer DMs at how to do their job at the table.

You know how later books, like Xanathar's and Tasha's, had rules and guidelines to help new DMs? That was only "necessary" because the DMG failed at its job. The fact that the Session 0 rule was in Tasha's and not the DMG is a design failure.

Not that the other core books in 5e are perfect at this, either. The Xanathar's rules for Tools, Falling, and Downtime should have been in the core rulebooks.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I am curious what "majority playstyle" you think is not being properly supported in the core books.
There are 3 pillars of the game. The one that has mostly sufficient rules is combat. Exploration and social interaction aren't fully developed. This has been an extremely common complaint about the core rulebooks since they were released.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The Player's Handbook's primary concern is being a handbook of options and rules for players, often for those newer to the game. It's mostly a good book, because it does what it's intended to do. The Monster Manual is a manual of monsters for DMs to use in their games, typically including the most iconic and common monsters in D&D. It's mostly a good book, because it does what it's intended to do. These books have more defined niches and intents and fulfill them pretty well. However, in the 5e DMG, instead of developing the 3 pillars of D&D and telling DMs how to use/balance them, it wastes pages explaining the most complicated cosmology in the history of D&D, listing the monsters in the Monster Manual, optional rules that don't fit the intent of 5e because WotC forgot to make the game "modular", and other poorly thought-out parts of the game that make the book feel unfinished and badly designed.

There's a reason why "no one reads the DMG" is a meme/joke and why a lot of other systems don't have an equivalent of it. Lots of other TTRPGs have "player's handbooks" and "monster manuals". A lot of them don't have a "DM/GM's guide" because its role in D&D is nebulous, poorly thought out, and it doesn't fulfill the niche it should fill. And that's because the Guide for DMs is for some reason not primarily concerned with guiding dungeon masters (especially newer ones) at how to run the game well.

The main playstyle is not well-supported in D&D 5e. People have been complaining about the half-assed Exploration and Social Interaction rules in D&D since the beginning. The DMG doesn't do a good job of teaching new DMs how to DM. As someone that was introduced to D&D through 5e, I got more information on how to be a good DM from a handful of Matthew Colville videos than I ever did from the 5e DMG. Because it fails at what should be its primary purpose. There are a lot of bad D&D Youtube channels out there. I'm lucky I stumbled across a good one.

If the DMG doesn't teach DMs how to be good DMs, it is poorly designed. Especially if it wastes a lot of space that could be used on teaching DMs how to be good DMs on half-developed optional rules, a poor attempt at explaining how to game design, a gazetteer of the Great Wheel, and other random stuff not necessary for teaching DMs how to DM.

There is such a thing as good game design. There is such a thing as badly designed or poorly thought out books, not just based on opinion. Subjective preferences and playstyles have a place in D&D. It should support multiple playstyles. But it shouldn't be prioritized over educating newer DMs at how to do their job at the table.

You know how later books, like Xanathar's and Tasha's, had rules and guidelines to help new DMs? That was only "necessary" because the DMG failed at its job. The fact that the Session 0 rule was in Tasha's and not the DMG is a design failure.

Not that the other core books in 5e are perfect at this, either. The Xanathar's rules for Tools, Falling, and Downtime should have been in the core rulebooks.
Again, starter sets can handle guiding new players, and do. You said that you learned from Matt Coville's videos. Great! WotC should put out videos too.

Nothing you've said convinces me that the DMG should be doing a different job than it's been doing all this time. IMO they should, as I've said more than once before, try to do a better job at providing alternative rules and showcasing multiple playstyles, including the so-called "most popular" one but also others.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Again, starter sets can handle guiding new players, and do. You said that you learned from Matt Coville's videos. Great! WotC should put out videos too.

Nothing you've said convinces me that the DMG should be doing a different job than it's been doing all this time. IMO they should, as I've said more than once before, try to do a better job at providing alternative rules and showcasing multiple playstyles, including the so-called "most popular" one but also others.
would not teach them how to be a good dm be the primery task before styles of play as the latter is rather bad with out the former?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There are 3 pillars of the game. The one that has mostly sufficient rules is combat. Exploration and social interaction aren't fully developed. This has been an extremely common complaint about the core rulebooks since they were released.
Agreed. That's why I'm so happy Level Up exists, as it handles that problem very well in my opinion. I wish WotC would put a little more effort in that area. Hopefully, the new bastion thing they're going to playtest has something in it worth stealing. That's the whole reason I'm watching the new edition playtest at all.

Remathilis

Legend

While I agree with most of your thesis, I want to highlight this.

It's amazing how much the RPG landscape changed in the last 10 years, and D&D was playing catch-up after the time the Core books were written. Session Zero, Lines, and Veils, and other concepts like that were still on the fringes of RPG design, not the standard. Hence why they got introduced in later supplements like Tasha or Van Richten. Likewise, a few ideas were clearly second bites at the apple: the encounter-building, downtime, and magic item classification in Xanathar's were obvious attempt to fix some areas they didn't get right in the DMG (and PHB). In my mind, that's less a failing of WotC's DMG as much as its WotC learning from their mistakes and attempting to course correct mid-run (see also: Customizing your origin in Tasha).

Now, I fully expect that after 10 years of feedback, tinkering, and experimenting, the 1D&D DMG will include far better info regarding these topics. Will it be perfect? Not a chance. The RPG landscape is still evolving. But I don't fault WotC for not seeing where the headwinds were blowing a decade ago.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
While I agree with most of your thesis, I want to highlight this.

It's amazing how much the RPG landscape changed in the last 10 years, and D&D was playing catch-up after the time the Core books were written. Session Zero, Lines, and Veils, and other concepts like that were still on the fringes of RPG design, not the standard. Hence why they got introduced in later supplements like Tasha or Van Richten. Likewise, a few ideas were clearly second bites at the apple: the encounter-building, downtime, and magic item classification in Xanathar's were obvious attempt to fix some areas they didn't get right in the DMG (and PHB). In my mind, that's less a failing of WotC's DMG as much as its WotC learning from their mistakes and attempting to course correct mid-run (see also: Customizing your origin in Tasha).

Now, I fully expect that after 10 years of feedback, tinkering, and experimenting, the 1D&D DMG will include far better info regarding these topics. Will it be perfect? Not a chance. The RPG landscape is still evolving. But I don't fault WotC for not seeing where the headwinds were blowing a decade ago.
Yeah, I'm not mad at WotC for including those rules in later books. It's good that they realized that some things were unclear and not properly supported and included official versions in later books. But it should have been in the DMG and should be in the OneD&D DMG.

Remove ads

Remove ads