D&D 5E 5 year AAR/Lessons learned

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
rethink sacred cows:
  • classes. take an extensive poll of what players want to see, which may mean a sacred cow gets left out (if you only have 12 slots for classes in the PHB, maybe warlord replaces ranger)
  • races. same as classes
Was this not done? I have a hard time believing they collected no feedback on classes or races during the playtest.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Was this not done? I have a hard time believing they collected no feedback on classes or races during the playtest.

This is an after action review. I'd be willing to bet survey results from during the playtest will have changed after players got experience playing the official classes firsthand. Particularly the ranger and sorcerer classes, based on reactions I've seen since the PHB was released.

aco175

Legend
I think they could have done feats better. They were so neat and cool in 3e when they were first introduced. It made each PC different that the others in the same class. 5e seems to have only a few that are worth taking and suddenly a a PC is dealing 50 points of damage at 3rd level. I still do not have the cool feel from them.

I agree with the starter set and how good is was to introduce the new edition. I like that another box is out that ties in with this one. Same thing with DMsGuild. Allowing the use of all that IP to use for other adventures and supplements gives the players a bit of investment in the game as a whole.

I would normally say that I want to see more smaller modules and at a cheaper pricepoint, but it appears that the money they are making makes this the wrong idea for what they are doing.

Tony Vargas

Legend
There were /extensive/ surveys throughout the Next playtest.
The first one, in a question about "which spells do you feel are iconic" included a handful of spells from 4e, like Healing Word. Those spells are in 5e. Other things that made it in were on those polls. Things notably absent you still here folks nagging about - Warlord, Psionics, Artificer - were also notably absent from the Playtest poll questions, in the first place. I suspect they only wanted to tackle so much for the PH.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases