• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC 5E 2020 Book Clue - I need your help!

MiraMels

Explorer
That its part of a gazetteer section means this is probably part of the fall adventure release, rather than a setting guide. If so, it most likely takes place somewhere in the Realms.

NiClerigo

Adventurer
If it's Cormyr, they managed to pick the one area of the Realms that guarantees no-sale for me. Cormyr is a police-state hellhole ill-suited for adventuring and well-suited for jackbooted thugs!

APDAB.

(I jest but honestly to hell with Cormyr and it's adventurer charters and adventurer tax and so on. In 2E it was like literally the last place any actual adventurer should want to go, and so locked down and well-guarded that little real adventuring should be taking place there.)

So I'm hoping Dalelands, but the format sounds very much Forgotten Realms, either way.

My more unlikely hope is something like Birthright, but I very much doubt it.
Birthright would be amazing

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Chris has already compared his 2020 book to Curse of Strahd, so Cormyr, the Dalelands, and Grayhawk seem unlikely.

(...especially with those ratings. Friendliness? What part of Cormyr or the Dalelands isn't friendly?)

I'm going to guess Planescape/the Planes, as I've been doing since 2017 and been wrong every time. It's a tradition.

Well, Perkins said if someone like Curse of Strahd, they would love what he is working on in 2020. That tells us close to nothing, because he didn't say what aspect is analogous.

The Sword Coast is a good bet still.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That its part of a gazetteer section means this is probably part of the fall adventure release, rather than a setting guide. If so, it most likely takes place somewhere in the Realms.

Probably, but the Fall book may be a Setting book, and the Gazeeter material would be Perkins domain, as with Eberron.

I simultaneously want and don't want it to be Cormyr. I'm running a sandbox campaign there currently. I've taken what I needed from previous editions and cast aside a lot I found useless and made the area my own.

I'd prefer not to have it all blown out of the water, but I'm also curious what WotC would put out.

You're the DM and it's your campaign. If the books disagree with how your campaign is set up, the books are wrong. Even if Ed Greenwood and Jeremy Crawford collaborated on the book together and there's a foreword that literally reads, "akr71 on ENWorld forums is doing it wrong and you should never play that way." Even then, the books are wrong.

Don't let the tail wag the dog.

Rellott

Explorer
Probably, but the Fall book may be a Setting book, and the Gazeeter material would be Perkins domain, as with Eberron.

Surely not another brand new setting book. We’ve just gotten a slew of those in the last year or two, and hardly any adventures. It’s gotta be an adventure, a dm facing book like Volo’s, or a player facing book like Xanathar’s. My money’s on some sort of adventure that gets into politics in a larger geographical region. At worst, it’ll be something like another SCAG - a regional guide rather than a whole new setting.

gyor

Legend

I didn't know that Chris Perkins did the Gazeeter for Eberron.

Okay her is my guesses IMHO of likelyness.

1. A FRCG like book, but in the style of Eberron: Rising From the Last War. The section he is talking about would be the greater Cormyr area, including Cormyr, Dalelands, and maybe Sea of Fallen Stars cities under Cormyr's influence. But this is not the only section of the Gazeteer, just the current one Perkin's is working on.
2. An Update or Sequel to Desert of Desolation, with the towns being from that region.
3. Zendikar is getting a Setting Guide Book earlier then I expected.
4. Simular to 1, but more focused on the Sea of Fallen Stars region, basically the SCAG for the Sea of Fallen Stars instead of the Swordcoast, but bigger.
5. Ravenloft is getting a full Setting Book Guide and he is working on one of the Gazeteers for the Domains.
6. He is working on a setting Guide for for Ikoria, its Ikoria's 3 main towns he's working on, maybe a few minor ones too.
7. They are doing a Planescape book, with Sigil's part done and now they are exploring the outlands.
8. They are doing a setting guide for Innistrad
9. They are doing a setting guide for Greyhawk
10. They are doing a setting guide for Darksun

gyor

Legend
Surely not another brand new setting book. We’ve just gotten a slew of those in the last year or two, and hardly any adventures. It’s gotta be an adventure, a dm facing book like Volo’s, or a player facing book like Xanathar’s. My money’s on some sort of adventure that gets into politics in a larger geographical region. At worst, it’ll be something like another SCAG - a regional guide rather than a whole new setting.

That is because we getting a slew of adventures and no setting books for a long time. Plus we know we are getting at least one book of Adventures from Kate Welsh's team and there is still the Summer release which is likely an AP, leaving the Fall release for another setting guide. Plus AL puts out its own adventures as well. And Wildemount was partly 3rd party so it doesn't count, you can't even use stuff from Wildemount/Exandia in dmsguild products, not even the Exandia cameo elements in BG: DiA.

This is really to rebalance things, it lets AP players catch up on the huge back log of adventures, while setting fans who have been begging for years for their settings or new settings get to have their turn for the next few years.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I wouldn't bet against it.

But this is probably for the Summer Storyline Adventure.

Remove ads