D&D 5E [5E] Alternative Character Gen - Looking for feedback

Hedron

Explorer
I had this idea for a more "real" world character generation, with a lot more randomness into the process. I kind of think of this as a "can't choose your parents" sort of thing, and I intend for it to be fully optional (see the first option).

My only worry is that my "compensation" mechanic may be (a) too powerful or (b) not powerful/useful enough.

(copy-pasted from Word)

There are three methods of character generation for the new campaign of D and D 5th Edition:
1. Choose Your Destiny
2. Choose Your Path
3. Let The Fates Decide

Choose Your Destiny
Under this generation method, you get to select everything about your character. You generate ability scores using the point buy method, you select your race and background, as well as your class.

Choose Your Path
Under this generation method you get a random set of ability scores, generated using the point buy method, your race and background are selected randomly, though you do get to choose your class. For allowing the Fates a little influence in your life, you gain a special feature – Touched By Fate.

Touched By Fate (minor ability)
Once per Long Rest you may roll an additional D20 that you keep as a “reserve” number, you may spend this reserve dice whenever you wish, before knowing the result of the roll you are changing, or in place of making a roll. This ability can only be used on D20 throws you make yourself, and using it counts as your reaction for the round, preventing you from using other reaction abilities until the start of your next turn.

Let the Fates Decide
Should you select this character generation method, you get a random set of ability scores, generated under the point buy method, a random race, background and class. For allowing everything up to destiny, you get the Touched By Fate power, as well as the Unknown Destiny feature.

Unknown Destiny (major ability)
Once per Long Rest, you may roll two D10’s. These two dice may be spent to modify any dice throw made in the game. You may use these dice as either a bonus to a roll, for yourself, or half the value as a bonus to someone else. You can use one of the dies to subtract from a roll you make, or half the value to another target. Using either of these abilities counts as a reaction, and you recover your reaction at the start of your next turn.

Understandably, the Fates are fickle, and should a player using either Choose your Path or Let the Fates Decide doesn’t like one of the random effects, he may permanently give up the power granted to him by the Fates to change either his Ability Score draw, his Background draw, his Race draw or (if applicable) his Class draw.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If your ability scores are generated using the point buy method, they can't be random.

I think the OP has a list of stat sets created by the point-buy system, and you roll to randomly get one of those sets. I don't know if they are already in an established order, but for the concept they should be IMO.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I personally wouldn't go along with this. If a player wants to create a "real world" type of more random character, it should be because they want to roleplay that type of character. There shouldn't be any "compensation" necessary.

If they aren't interested in creating a character like that without being compensated for it, but ARE willing to do it if you give them a couple of those pseudo-feats you have created, it shows that they really are only doing it for the mechanical bonus. And if that's the case... then having them take a chargen method that is meant to be a roleplay opportunity is pointless. They don't care about the possibility of the challenge of roleplaying a character with sub-optimal stats, they are only doing it for the bennie. Which defeats the whole purpose of the new chargen method in the first place.

Hedron

Explorer
Yes,

I have about 10 pregen point buy sets which will get drawn from. The reason for the features is based on something I read or was told by a fellow GM - if you reduce player agency they need some sort of compensation. This also allows them a limited re-selection within the structure of the format.

I have vaguely based this off the char gen process for Infinity and similar games that have a randomised career method of doing so, and they all include a limited "override the random" feature.

(Apologies for formatting, on mobile)

Li Shenron

Legend
I have played completely random characters in the past, and by that I mean to roll EVERYTHING: scores, class, race, name, traits, gender, spells... without any compensation :)

I don't think you really need to compensate, but of course if none of your players choose your options then you can try to encourage them with a little boost.

Speaking of which, the first boost looks OK for me.

The second one IMHO is a bit too much, the 2d10s are too much. After all, they're not playing a straight inferior character (as could happen if they rolled stats and got bad luck) but rather a non-optimal combination between point-buy stats and class.

But then, a lucky player might after all get a GOOD combination out of it, PLUS the boost.

In addition, you haven't specified what happens at second level? What if I get high physical scores and roll Wizard, can I next level multiclass to Fighter?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I would play in such a game, but I'd always pick Choose your Destiny. And I'd prefer a normal game over it.

First is personal preference - I've found that for campaigns I greatly enjoy crafting my character's backstory vs. pre-gens where I'm working with an already established framework. This is doing the same - already providing the framework of background and race. Again, this is personal preference, some will thrive on working within constraints to craft their background.

I'm assuming you still get to arrange your ability scores (if not that's a whole different story), but basically different classes want 1-2 high, others are more MAD, all like having a +3 modifier to start, etc.

With a random race to lock in (for most races, or are things like half-elf "+1 to to any two" also random in which case for all races), it will direct how you arrange your scores and still be able to carry your weight. I'm not talking "be optimal", just "hold your own", If the random scores have a 14 max and your race is Rock Gnome that gives +2 INT, +1 CON, your not likely to play, for instance, a paladin. (Even with the +1 CON). The +DEX races are a little bit better, since DEX is useful to so many different builds.

With a random class, this can be quite weaker than the average character. Need MAD, have one really good. Need one really good, have MAD. Race ability mods doesn't match class.

On the other hand, randomness can match up well, and then you have a character that would be as well built as someone choosing option #1, but also has the compensation on top of that.

It's really an exercise in randomness, and some can get screwed and some can align AND get the compensation so be better than normal.

We also get a situation where you might have several players filling the same niche and other niches not filled at all. Which can be interesting to play and I have nothing against. Just mentioning it as a possibility. (Actually, I amend what I said in the first line - I'd take Choose your Destiny, and wait until others roll up so then I would help provide something the party needed.)

Now, you may not choose your parents, but there are a lot of people who don't choose to be adventurers. The ones that do, do so for a reason. Way back in AD&D 2nd I had a DM who implemented a similar thought in a different way. You rolled up three sets of ability scores IN ORDER. But then you got to pick which one took the step to be an adventurer and discarded two of them. We got some really organic characters that way, not built as you'd expect but very interesting.

MarkB

Legend
I find the compensatory bonuses for the more random choices rather weak, simply because those sorts of "once a day" bonuses are all too easy to keep in reserve against a more difficult moment and then end up not using, or to simply forget about in the heat of the moment. For the right player they could be great, but others may find themselves not getting much out of them.

Remove ads