D&D 4E 5E as a Rewritten 4E with Flavor Bits from Other Editions?

5E as a Rewritten 4E with Flavor Bits from Other Editions?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I had this exchange in another thread but it got me thinking -

If we're changing the system (. . .)

I think the assumption is that it will be a whole new system with Frankensteining from many. I think they'd be crazy to try and trot out a 4E rewrite with some add-ins and optionals for making it quasi-feel like other editions. That'd more than likely be a non-starter for anyone who stayed away from 4E and half of the 4E fans would be pissed that a rewritten 4E was making their game books "obsolete" while the other half wouldn't switch. (Cue outcry of those who claim game books are never obsolete as they ignore what that means in context and how edition cycles work ;) ) Naw, I don't think they have room to peddle a rewritten 4E given what they announced and how the community is currently divided. Maybe this warrants a poll.

- maybe I am off base and 5E can be as simple as a 4E rewrite with bits and pieces from other editions to flavor it. So I ask as a poll in a simple up/down vote, regardless of the details which you can post if you like. No bashing, no warring, please.

Roland55

First Post
It has to go further than that to bring me back.

If it's just 4E re-skinned, that will be fine for many people -- but the issues that kept me out of the sandbox will remain and I will immediately see/feel them again.

No. They have to go further, and everything I've seen so far tells me they are going further.

avin

First Post
I don't, not yet anyway. Besides, if 4E was the best core, then WoTC would have just kept the focus on 4E and Essentials, instead of announcing so early a 5E that will unify all D&D players.

Exactly.

Let's be honest here, and remain civil, we know that there are people who hate 4E and won't buy 5E if it's 4E reskinned.

5E won't be 4E or 3.5, it will be something else.

Sammael

Adventurer
There's no way they'll use the 4E core. The 4E core comes with way too much baggage, particularly the way powers work and the way everything has to balance out.

The way I see it:

The core will be much simpler. It will define what the ability scores mean, how the characters progress, what the basic conflict resolution rules are, and what the characters can attempt to do in a single round. Everything else will be... modular.

Ahnehnois

First Post
A repackaging of 4e would be a blatant money grab that the entire community would see right through and be universally infuriated at. If you like 4e, you'll be crying out at wasting money on this. If you don't, you'll not be convinced by a few tidbits.

I don't think WotC is going to do that.

What I read from the latest chat transcript was some very non-4e statements. They said that each class could have different mechanics, pretty clearly indicating that the 4e power system is gone. They said that wizards would have at-will abilities as feats, not built in (which is more like 3e reserve feats). They said they were "shooting for" 3e multiclassing. They talked about dissociating magic items from level advancement. Power sources are gone. It seems like a lot of 4e is going to be left for 4e, and the new edition will be new.

And that, conversely, is good for everyone.

Tallifer

Hero
I think the absolute core will be retrocloned OD&D/AD&D akin to Microlite.

The next layer will be very much 3.5: powerful Vancian magic, feats for fighters, different class mechanics, spells will have specific conditions and details rather than a handy list of universal conditions and timers, 3.5 multi-classing, no roles, more skills. (I also predict no healing surges.) With some Pathfinder-like improvement of casters like first level at-will spells and cleric channeling.

I think things from the Fourth Edition like rituals, martial powers, treasure parcels and milestones will only be represented in sidebars and slim optional books. I also strongly suspect that in order to build a 4th style fighter you will have to sacrifice a lot of damage and feats to get a few cool but nerfed powers. But as long as the Wizards keep the Fourth Edition Character Builder operating, I will remain happy.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
No, I don't think it is. And I would love to know what on earth made you believe so. Because I haven't seen anything that even hints at it. In fact, I would say, that based on what we have heard, 4e might be the edition that looks the least like 5e. But yeah, I am sure there will be 4e-isms, and some people will hate 5e for it.

ferratus

Adventurer
No, because the power system is gone, roles are gone, standard conditions are gone, and I think healing surges are gone as well.

You can't take away all of those things and still call it a repackaged 4e. That's what the entire system is built on.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases