D&D 5E 5E Books Through 2021 and the Road Ahead (2022 and Beyond)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In the E.U., yes, as of 2008. In the U.S., not so clear. However:
a) It sounds like it's also unclear who would have the right to make an infringement claim on use of Cthulhu, and
b) All 1926 works (to include "The Call of Cthulhu") will be entering the public domain in the U.S. on January 1, 2022, so in five months the question will be moot.
People have been treating Cthulu as open source for years, and nobody is making any moves.

But Paizo has published monsters for Pathfinder based in Lovecraft mythology.

Hasbro has got a good record of acquisition of other companies, and I wouldn't be too surprised if we see new IPs added to the "Hasbroverse", or as "guest artist" in Magic: the Gathering Beyond Universe. And my intuition tells me we will see some radical changes in the entertaiment industry. Some big fishes will break or fall, being acquired by others.

"Games of Thrones" as the next crossover for Beyond Universe(Magic: the Gathering)?

So for anyone who wants more teases, your soonest bet is probably going to be this stream on August 24;

It's about Magic the Gathering, but if they're announcing their 2022 slate of products (and they usually do all of the card set titles at these) we will have some idea for candidates for future MTG/D&D crossover books in 2022.

Also, there's going to be a video on the upcoming Innistrad set in like an hour.

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

I'm not a huge Innistrad fan, but I love Halloween, favourite Holiday, so this is perfect timing for this set and Crimson Vow and honestly the art so far is outstanding and the harvest festival vibes from Midnight Hunt so far is just exactly what Innistrad needed.

The face Commander for Coven Counters, really love the flavour, this is exactly what Innistrad needed, it was too miserable and grim dark to do horror right, it needed something like this for contrast, a reminder the the lives of the inhabitants of the plane aren't just miserable 24/7, its a horror themed plane, but its not Ravenloft, a place of punishment, just a mostly Gothic horror setting with elements of Lovecraftian horror, and now possibly folk horror.

Remove ads