D&D 5E 5E Books Through 2021 and the Road Ahead (2022 and Beyond)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
In a not-so-serious vein, I was thinking about what other psionic subclasses they could create besides the Psychic Warrior and the Soulknife, and had the sudden thought they could do a psionic warlock, but the pact would be with yourself, in the ultimate self-motivating, "I can do this" sort of way...
Nah, IMHO, you should combine the "pact with yourself" Warlock with a Time-Dunamancer Warlock , and you get the "Future Self" Warlock patron, where a future version of you turned the present version of you into a warlock of them in order to ensure that you survive your adventuring career, and thus be strong enough to . . . become a warlock patron of your past self.

They could even have subclass features called "Mobius Mage" or something like that!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nah, IMHO, you should combine the "pact with yourself" Warlock with a Time-Dunamancer Warlock , and you get the "Future Self" Warlock patron, where a future version of you turned the present version of you into a warlock of them in order to ensure that you survive your adventuring career, and thus be strong enough to . . . become a warlock patron of your past self.

They could even have subclass features called "Mobius Mage" or something like that!
I mean, they sort of already did that in SCAG by implication, by supplying Fistandantilus as a Patron for the Undying.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I mean, they sort of already did that in SCAG by implication, by supplying Fistandantilus as a Patron for the Undying.
I don't see any Dunamancy spells on the Undying spell list (because they hadn't been written yet). Also, that subclass sucks mechanically so much that WotC pretty much invalidated most of its thematic niche with the Undead Patron warlock from Van Richten's, so I'm not really worried about stepping on its toes a bit more, especially for something like a Dunamancy Warlock.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't see any Dunamancy spells on the Undying spell list (because they hadn't been written yet). Also, that subclass sucks mechanically so much that WotC pretty much invalidated most of its thematic niche with the Undead Patron warlock from Van Richten's, so I'm not really worried about stepping on its toes a bit more, especially for something like a Dunamancy Warlock.
I mean more the "your patron is your future self" story idea.

But what if you find out that Future-you is irredeemably evil, so you set out on course to ensure that version of Future-you never happens, which means that particular Future-you never exists to grant you the power in the first place? Ah, the fun dilemmas of time-travel...

But circling back to the original subject, I wish the Aberrant Mind didn't take up the "psionic sorcerer" spot, since, given that they haven't figured out another way to do it, it would probably be easiest to make the pure psion/mystic a sorcerer subclass. The whole "your powers were awakened by a Far Realm being" really doesn't fit the classic psion origin of self-meditation and self-awakening. Maybe they'll still find room for it though...

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
That's not happening anytime soon, IMO. In Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, they didn't even reprint all of the 3 spells from Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. They reprinted Blade of Disaster, but didn't reprint Create Magen or Frost Fingers, even though Frost Fingers is a nice spell that deserved a spot in the book just as much as any of the other ones and Create Magen is a fine spell that they could give to the Wizard (and possibly the Warlock/Sorcerer). They might reprint Frost Fingers in Fizban's along with the Spells from the Draconic UA (specifically akin to Icingdeath's Frost), but I wouldn't count on that, either.

The Dunamancy spells are largely weirder than Frost Fingers or even Create Magen. They haven't reprinted the spells from the Acq. Inc., Ravnica, and Wildemount books, and I'm guessing that this is because those books have their spells fairly closely tied with the products' identities.

I would love for this to happen, especially if they added more Dunamancy spells and more dunamancy subclasses (give me a Dunamancer Cleric or two! Luck/Karma-Shifter Rogues! Dunamis Sorcerers and Future-Self Warlocks! I want all of those!!!), but I don't think it's likely at all.
The Acq Inc spells tend to be humorous and whimsical (and make power gamers cry).

But the dunomancy spells of Wildemount are quite balanced and useful.

What about Gamma World as a D&D setting, not as a separate game?
I am open-minded about that idea. It is possible, but the high-tech firearms would force to recalculate the challenging rating of the encounters. With the right weapon an enemy, a giant beast or a combat vehicle, could be killed or destroyed with only one shot. Even a civilian vehicle could be used to run over a horde of zombies. I guess the easiest option could be a videogame using a variant version of the d20 system. I feel a lot of curiosity of a G.I.Joe+Cobra-la mash-up version set in Gamma World. Why not to ask IDW to publish a comic about that?

Why Gamma World? If you want it can be child-friendly with mutant antropomorphic animals, or grimmer/mature style like Heavy Metal cartoon movie.
lvgb2r0gir201.jpg

f1ce4513bc8df753e6c8d710349d6868bbadb4f7.jpg

7srecsdcrgf51.jpg

1628072786714.png

9cae4ae72049481c2724e59811432a54.jpg

d315iku-0201782c-fc30-4f55-98be-79e0f1cce6bd.jpg

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Mage Hand Press has a "Future You" warlock patron that's pretty cool.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases