D&D 5E 5E Challenge Ratings

Boarstorm

First Post
You can finally make a giant turtle large enough to have a city on his back who isn't (by virtue of his huge number of hit dice) also a grand master of martial arts.

... but why would you want to? :confused:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Huge Adult Red Dragon 19HD CR17
Large Young Green Dragon 16HD CR8

What the? This sux. Too much of a disparity. If CR is gonna be this wonky, they should leave it out.
I would be optimistic and say, no worries, the rules aren't finalized but,
AFAIK, the MM already gone to the printers :(.

P.S. - I KNOW CR, is not just about HD, but the disparity is pretty huge.

Disparity here comes about because HD type changes on size. Red dragon is bigger and uses d12. Green dragon is using d10. Also, red has 25 Con; green 17 Con. I am sure an Adult Green Dragon will be closer in CR and stuff to the Red (closer than the Young green anyway).

Tony Semana

First Post
I'm not really understanding your complaint. Why is the small disparity in HD relative to the large disparity in CR bothering you? How is that "wonky"? They have roughly similar hit points, but one is much harder to hit, much harder to damage thanks to it's resistances and immunities, and deals a LOT more damage. So what is the issue? Seems very internally consistent to me - dragons tend to have roughly the same hit points, but get harder to hit and much deadlier as they get bigger and nastier.

A young dragon being about half as tough as an adult dragon makes sense to me.

Yup, this sounds about right.

Green CR8 = 3,900xp
Red CR17 = 18,000xp

Adult White (HotDQ Supplement)
16HD (Same as Green)
CR13 (10,000xp)

I apologize for any misunderstandings. My concern wasn't dragon sizes or age categories. It was HD vs. CR disparities concerning encounter building. My White Dragon Comparison even adds to this argument.

Green and White have the same HD, yet a 5 CR disparity. Why?

My PDFs keep crashing so I can't tell if Damage, or other
Stats are a factor.

Prism

Explorer
It was HD vs. CR disparities concerning encounter building. My White Dragon Comparison even adds to this argument.

Green and White have the same HD, yet a 5 CR disparity. Why?

My PDFs keep crashing so I can't tell if Damage, or other
Stats are a factor.

Yes the other stats are the factor. Take hit points. The green has 136, the white 200, the red 256.

Also check out the progression table on p4 of the DM guidelines. Proficiency bonus and therefore attacks, saves and skills are based upon CR not Hit Dice. In fact I can't see anything based on hit dice. Its almost irrelevant

The large dragons also get legendary actions which probably explains a large part of the CR jump

Remove ads