D&D 5E 5e* - D&D-now

I do not find this with 5e. It's a genuine puzzler for me: the implication that some DMs hit points where what follows isn't clear to them. Other posters described that "the actual cognitive workspace a GM is inhabiting during play and the conversation is pushing toward yields consequences that are profoundly far away from unconstrained or anarchy" and for me that is true in 5e.

The closest I've come to not knowing was two sessions ago, where the player-characters were all down (due to a cursed necklace of fireballs) and two non-player character allies were standing. Due to complexities in the situation, it took me a couple of minutes to parse what to say next. Afterwards, one player felt that one of their foes, who was also standing, should have made a more vicious move. In the moment, I felt that relied on information that foe wouldn't have. Everyone else agreed with what I narrated.

I feel sure you are right about word count. As I hoped to explain above, I very much feel it is right to say - "It is preferable for an RPG text to articulate principles." At the same time, I know that I cannot say - "DMs is not influenced by principles, unless they are articulated in an RPG text." I'm not meaning to embrace the Oberoni Fallacy. Rather I see external influences as unavoidable, and in fact virtuous in play. Essential for play to occur. There must be something left unsaid between text, system, and fiction.

[It strikes me that a game that clearly and extensively articulates its principles works to exclude other interpretations. On first reading, Stonetop looks like a good example of that.]
Uh, sure, you can work from a set of principles, agenda, techniques, etc. that is not coded into a game. I agree that if a game provides an interpretation of what it is about, that it articulates it, then it likely, almost by definition, excludes other interpretations. Wouldn't that be true of anything that has greater clarity? Its pretty much the DEFINITION OF clarity.

After GMing 1000's and 1000's of sessions over decades I'd say that there have been a LOT of situations where there was a question about 'what follows from this'. I attribute a lot of that to game systems which are not very clear, personally. I have not had such a problem with, say, DW. I mean, you could follow with one of many things in rather a lot of cases, but its always pretty clear if a response, a move, is at least appropriate, and how to rate it against other options that spring to mind so you can pick the best one.

Frankly, my personal view of 5e is that it is generally in the same boat as 2e. Its a game with a fundamental design based around a GM who provides a structured and bounded environment in which are embedded a series of challenges and incentives which work together to define the process of play and answer questions about what should happen next (IE what the GM should narrate now).

Unfortunately whomever wrote 2e, back in 1989, was writing from a MUCH less sophisticated set of RPG design techniques (and TSR was not exactly at the cutting edge of what WAS state of the art even then). It is a HIGHLY incoherent design, and this has been subject to pretty thorough analysis several times here in my recollection, so I don't feel like it needs much additional commentary at this point. The problem with 5e is it simply doesn't FIX THE PROBLEM. Yes, it is a MUCH cleaner and tighter system in terms of the nuts and bolts of the "how to decide of the PC climbed the wall" sort of stuff. It also reduces the contrast between the promise of heroic fantasy and the reality of single-digit-hit-point adventurers, and such. So its certainly a better game in some respects.

OTOH the core problem still exists, the player is handed a vision of playing Conan the Barbarian, so to speak, but much of the mechanics of the game seems aimed more at keeping that kind of thing in check! Honestly, this is why the fixed DC skill system in 5e is, to me, so blazingly nonsensical! If you want a game of heroic action fantasy, then AT EVERY LEVEL the PCs should be executing heroic action fantasy. The difference between level 1 and level 10 and level 20 is the trappings, basically. But the "levels count for nothing in calculating DCs" ranking system totally undermines that! I don't honestly know what 5e is ABOUT. It says action fantasy, but the rules pretty much tell me no. I grant you, its less of an issue than in any other (non-4e) edition, but it is still pretty problematic (and then casters get to carve their own little doorway into gonzo).

Anyway, I think this discussion has clarified a couple things in my mind about working on my own game design. I am more clear than ever as to the NATURE of what level progression should bring, amongst other things.

There are differing views on that, and I'd like to add something else to reflect on, which is the notion of untethered narration. Narration that doesn't contain the results and follow from the conversation. What constrains a 5e* DM from untethered narration? What forestalls anarchy?

And then again, if they cannot define what is meaningless, how can 5e* DM possibly uphold the DMG 237 rule - "Only call for a roll if there is a meaningful consequence for failure." What differentiates a meaningless consequence from a meaningful one?
But see, if you have an explicit agenda, then you DO have an answer for this! That is exactly the kind of thing that I'm saying is not present in 5e. Even in 5e though, meaningless should at least be able to be described as 'having no consequences (or further significance) in play'. So, for example, a Pick Locks attempt where the consequence of failure is wasting 5 minutes of time when you have virtually unlimited time to waste. The PC just tries again, and again, and... right? Now, you can decide that the resolution system forbids rolling again for anything, ever, at least without changing the situation first, but that's not an unambiguously stated thing in 5e, and 5e* doesn't clarify it.

pemerton

Legend
To what extent do you feel those explanations clarify, organise and overall articulate principles and agendas that DMs have had in mind from the outset? The author of Monster of the Week commented on this question, that - "That sort of play goes back decades, including when D&D was first getting started in the 1970s."
Two significant differences in perspective that I notice are
  • 5e encourages toward grasping the world as externally real: somewhere the characters live, but not necessarily built around them
  • 5e leaves it to DM to know how they will DM: the RAW is insouciant or coy
I don't think that I am following every nuance in this thread. But when I read these posts, I find it hard to work out what is really being claimed about 5e*.

For instance, is the claim that 5e* will produce the same play experience as Dungeon World? In that case, I find the claim utterly implausible. The reasons for that implausibility are probably too many to list; but here are some of the obvious points of difference: 5e D&D has a rigid action economy for combat, whereas DW doesn't; 5e has player-initiated mechanical subsystems (primarily but not solely spells), whereas DW doesn't - it only has "moves"; 5e has conditions (including but not solely hp loss) whose definition is almost entirely mechanical, whereas DW doesn't, and 5e has no analogue to DW's prescriptive/descriptive approach to (eg) having your hand cut off in a trap; 5e has no systematic process for regulating or correlating the GM's introduction of complications in relation to the players' declarations of actions for their PCs, whereas DW does.

Whether or not FPRGers in the 1970s were trying to achieve the sort of play that DW delivers, they hadn't created systems that would do it in the way that DW does. To assert otherwise is, apart from anything else, an insult to Vincent Baker as a designer.

And flipping it around: what, if anything, is distinctive about 5e's encouragement to grasp the world as externally real: somewhere the characters live, but not necessarily built around them. Other than some self-referential RPGs like Toon and Over the Edge, what RPG doesn't have this aspiration? Dungeon World has certain principles intended to support it: Address the characters, not the players; Never speak the name of your move; Give every monster life; Name every person; Think offscreen, too. We can't capture anything distinctive about 5e D&D until we talk about concrete principles that govern the GM's narration - eg, perhaps what we might call the @Lanefan principle which goes something like When narrating the consequences of a check, successful, or unsuccessful, have no regard to what the player hoped their PC would achieve by way of the check. But then we would have to ask how this principle sits with character build elements like Beliefs, Traits, Flaws and the like - those make me wonder whether this mooted principle really is a component of 5e play that is consistent with RAW.

It's a genuine puzzler for me: the implication that some DMs hit points where what follows isn't clear to them. Other posters described that "the actual cognitive workspace a GM is inhabiting during play and the conversation is pushing toward yields consequences that are profoundly far away from unconstrained or anarchy" and for me that is true in 5e.

<snip example of play, where GM narrated a NPC's action>

Everyone else agreed with what I narrated.
Here is a bit from Vincent Baker:

So you're sitting at the table and one player says, "[let's imagine that] an orc jumps out of the underbrush!"

What has to happen before the group agrees that, indeed, an orc jumps out of the underbrush?

1. Sometimes, not much at all. The right participant said it, at an appropriate moment, and everybody else just incorporates it smoothly into their imaginary picture of the situation. "An orc! Yikes! Battlestations!" This is how it usually is for participants with high ownership of whatever they're talking about: GMs describing the weather or the noncombat actions of NPCs, players saying what their characters are wearing or thinking.​

So the fact that everyone at the table goes along with one participant's narration of something they have high ownership of - in this case, the action declarations for a NPC - shows us that the table is not under stress or dysfunctional - which is good! - but I don't see where it takes us in the analysis of RPGs, either in general or in any particular case. The purpose of Dungeon World's rules and principles that govern GM narration are not (primarily) to ensure agreement at the table. They're to produce a particular sort of play experience.

There are all sorts of things that can cause a GM to doubt what is the appropriate thing to narrate. For instance, an ogre attacks a MU/wizard PC. The attack hits. The attack removes more than half the PC's hit points. The GM narrates it as a hard blow to the head. Is the GM also permitted to narrate that the PC forgets one of their memorised spells (if a MU) or loses one of their prepared spells (if a 5e wizard)? I mean, memorising/preparing spells is clearly - in the fiction - a cognitive activity, reinforced in nearly all versions of D&D by the interplay between the INT stat and the ability of MUs/wizards to learn and/or cast spells. And it's pretty common knowledge that a hard blow to the head can affect cognitive ability in the short, medium and/or long term.

That sort of narration in AD&D would be a seriously bit of aggressive GMing! And would be unlikely to be an example of what Baker describes, as spell memorisation is something over which the player has a high degree of ownership. I'm pretty confident it would raise eyebrows at many, probably most, 5e tables too.

Through grasping DMG 237 and PHB 174 as regulatory rules, they are reconciled as follows:
  • DMG 237 contains a restrictive regulatory rule, with the effect of saying when not to call for a roll. Don't call for a roll, unless there is a meaningful consequence for failure.
  • PHB 174 contains an imperative regulatory rule, with the effect of saying when to call for a roll. Call for a roll, when there is a chance of failure. (This rule is repeated in restrictive form, in DMG 237.)
  • DMG 237 contains another restrictive regulatory rule, with the effect of saying when not to call for a roll. Don't call for a roll, when a task so inappropriate or impossible - such as hitting the moon with an arrow - that it can't work.
The rules are clearly structured in DMG 237. The logic there is straightforward: it's like starting lights for Formula 1 racing. Is the first light out? Great! is the second light out? Are all lights out? Go!
How do we know if there is a chance of failure? That seems to be, or at least to come very close to being, viciously circular: making a check introduces a chance of failure (unless the DC is no more than 1 greater than the bonus the player will have on their check), and so how can we use the possibility of failure as a criterion for calling for a check?

A meaningful consequence for failure obviously does not have this particular issue, but it still requires us to know what the consequences for failure might be, and this is something that depends upon other elements of the system. Obviously if a hit on a head can cause you to lose hit points that are hard to recover, or cause you to lose a memorised spell, then nearly any physical activity might have a meaningful consequence for failure. But consider a system like Prince Valiant, in which there is no analogue to spell memorisation and in which recovery of Brawn lost due to physical strain or injury occurs entirely at the GM's discretion: that system difference, that sits in other parts of the PC build and action resolution rules, makes a big difference to what physical actions might have meaningful consequences for failure.

And then consider Burning Wheel, which derives nearly all those meaningful consequences from various elements of the PC build - Beliefs, Instincts, certain traits, Relationships, etc - which the GM draws upon both in framing, and in consequence narration. And these can have a prescriptive/descriptive dimension a bit like Dungeon World - eg Reputations and Relationships can change as consequences of actions, and this has concrete meaning not only for taking red ink to the PC sheet, but for the corresponding aspects of the fiction. The analogue in classic D&D might be losing a henchman due to a failed loyalty check. That can't bit the same way in a system without henchmen.

That what is I find magical about that word "narrates". Taking the text holistically, and interpreting that word as 5e* suggests (both as to saying something meaningful, and as to its regulatory significance), leads me directly to a consistent interpretation. Admittedly, it didn't need to do any heavy lifting, as it was speaking to my natural style of DMing.
According to the opening post, the play group decides that amongst themselves [what is meaningful].
I'll explore some examples that are meaningful/less for me. I can't promise they will be for you, because ultimately meaning lives in your conversation. To get the context right, 5e* interprets "narrates" in this way
  • say something meaningful
  • the rule is an imperative regulatory rule: a green light or arrow to go from system to fiction
  • it's a guarantee: players can respond to what DM narrates as meaningful
Example 4:
Fighter on higher initiative slashed at her with his longsword, hitting. All see that he rolls 1 on the 1d8.
DM narrates "Ram's slash barely scratches her. She presses forward unabated. She's huge: you can't hold her back."
I find this meaningful in the following ways
  • Barely scratched: players learn that she has a lot of hit points remaining, and this may be a tough fight.
  • Presses forward: it's hopefully clear to players what's coming next.
  • She's huge: creatures can barge past those two-sizes smaller than themselves, so this reminder telegraphs that the squishier characters might find themselves targeted.
The way in which these elements are meaningful is that they matter to the player-character's fictional positioning: A player's position is the total set of all of the valid gameplay options available to her at this moment of play. Valid means legitimate and effective. Ram (the fighter) can see that they will be ineffective trying to hold the giant back, even though it would be legitimate for him to try and do so. It upholds and returns to our fiction (F > S > F) and I think will carry forward the overall flow of events in combat that together will form our story.

Example 5:
Fighter on higher initiative slashed at her with his longsword, hitting. All see that he rolls 1 on the 1d8.
DM narrates "Ram's slash barely scratches her. She laughs 'I didn't realise you were so weak! Why fight small man?' and couches her club."
I find this meaningful too, but it goes in another direction. Here DM has decided that she feels her point is made, and is willing to go back to haggling. How does DM know to narrate this instead of example 4? For me, that depends on prior conversation and established fiction. In this DM's world, it seems that stone giants are a more nuanced people.
Example 4 is, for me, the flipside of the ogre-hits-the-wizard-on-the-head example. What is the actual, in play significance of the the "barely scratched" beyond being a type of D&D players' code for "has a lot of hit points remaining". Will the scratch bleed? (In real life, one sometimes kills and/or catches a creature by causing it to bleed, and then following it until it has bled to a state of enfeeblement, unconsciousness or death. Where does that happen in 5e*, and how does the GM's narration of hit point loss relate to that?)

As for the GM signalling their intentions for the NPC - she presses forward or she couches her club - isn't that pretty ubiquitous in all RPGing? What is distinctive about 5e* in this respect? Eg do these constrain the GM's ensuing action declarations? - After all, on the fact of things they look like action declarations. If the giant presses forward, does that give a bonus to save against a Thunderwave cast on the next turn? Does couching the club give the next PC a bonus to hit, or advantage to negotiation attempts? If the answer to my questions is yes then I can see how the fiction is meaningful, but I think we have now departed from the RAW of the 5e rulebooks (except perhaps the advantage to negotiation, though even there my understanding is that is mostly meant to flow from player cleverness rather than the GM's inclinations about what their NPCs might prefer). If the answer is no, then those narrations seem to be mere colour. For instance, a player who missed them because out of the room at that moment could come back and still attack the giant, or still try to re-open negotiations.

********************************************************************************

This post is not a criticism of 5e*. I personally am unlikely to play 5e D&D in its * or any other form, but nothing about 5e* has changed my disposition in this respect.

This post is a criticism of the notion that the exhortation to narrate meaningfully or narrate meaningful consequences tells us anything about a RPG system. To me, it seems that the action is in the process, expectations etc that shape who owns what, how things are framed, what repertoire of consequences the system provides for, etc. This is where we find the differences between different RPGs.

clearstream

(He, Him)
But see, if you have an explicit agenda, then you DO have an answer for this! That is exactly the kind of thing that I'm saying is not present in 5e. Even in 5e though, meaningless should at least be able to be described as 'having no consequences (or further significance) in play'. So, for example, a Pick Locks attempt where the consequence of failure is wasting 5 minutes of time when you have virtually unlimited time to waste. The PC just tries again, and again, and... right? Now, you can decide that the resolution system forbids rolling again for anything, ever, at least without changing the situation first, but that's not an unambiguously stated thing in 5e, and 5e* doesn't clarify it.
5e unambiguously states it: DMG 237.

pemerton

Legend
Here are a couple of concrete examples, taken from Burning Wheel play.

In the basic trappings of its fiction, BW resembles D&D - quasi-mediaeval; Tolkien-esque Elves, Dwarves and Orcs; a tendency towards swords & sorcery but with somewhat more ubiquitous or at least less uniformly sinister magic; etc.

There are peasants, villages, cities with temples and wizards, ports and pirates, rogue wizards and mad summoners. Knights of holy military orders wear heavy plate armour. Taverns are places to obtain rumours and meet people.

Despite these similarities, I don't think either of the following examples of play could occur in D&D as they have, for me, in BW.

(1) Thurgon - knight of a military order amd my PC - and his sidekick Aramina, were travelling upriver in the borderlands. The GM wanted to skip a few days, but I insisted on playing out the first evening, as Thurgon and Aramina debated what to do. Aramina - being learned in Great Masters-wise, believed that the abandoned tower of Evard the Black lay somewhere in the forest on the north side of the river (a successful check, initiated by me as her player), and wanted to check it out (and find spellbooks! - one of her central movitvations as stated in her Beliefs). Thurgon persuaded her that they could not do such a thing unless (i) she fixed his breastplate, and (ii) they found some information in the abandoned fortresses of his order which would indicate that the tower was, at least, superficially safe to seek out (eg not an orc fortress a la Angmar/Dol Guldur). My recollection is that we resolved this as a Duel of Wits with me scripting for Thurgon and the GM for Aramina.

As I posted at the time,
I'm finding that quite small things, of little consequence for the universe (actual or in-game) as a whole, can take on a high degree of importance for me as a player when they matter to my PC, and I know that my own choices are what is bringing them to the fore and shaping them (eg repairing the armour; laying the dead to rest; not fighting the mad skeleton knight of my order). I'm not going to say that it's Vermeer: the RPG, but the stakes don't have to be cosmologically high in order to be personally high - provided that they really are at stake.
5e D&D has no system of damage to armour, and hence no way to make repair of it a substantive matter of contention among characters. And it has no way of resolving that contention other than talking it out - treating the sidekick as a NPC, there is a system which permits the PC to persuade or fail to persuade them, but not for them to generate a change of commitment on the part of the PC.

That's before we get to the broader context for this debate, which is a fiction shaped by the player, not the GM, through PC build (where all the knightly stuff comes from) plus action resolution (which is where the Evard stuff comes from).

(2) Me and my fellow player, each with a PC and co-GMing in a somewhat round-robin style, framed an opening scene with our two PCs, Alicia the weather witch and Aedhros the bitter (Tolkien-style) dark elf, together on the docks:
We agreed that Aedhros had travelled on the same ship as Alicia had been working on as a weathermage. Like Aedhros, she started with zero resources and no shoes, and with only rags as clothes. I asked her player why she hadn't been paid. Because bottom has fallen out of the market in soft cheese, so the cargo can't be sold. <snippage> no one was paying for the cheese that had been brought from the green fields and fat cows of Urnst. Some were promised they would be paid tomorrow, but Alicia was told her passage was her pay! With her Base Humility, she accepted this (and earned a fate point). While this was going on, Aedhros took advantage of the distraction to Inconspicuously sidle up to the master and pick his pocket with Sleight of Hand. This earned 1D of cash (it was agreed). I then proposed to Alicia, whom I knew from the journey, that we find a room for a day or two before we rob the master in the night. She agreed.

We (the players) agreed the next scene was looking for a room for the two of us in a dodgy inn. (The standard resource obstacle for one person is Ob 1; we agreed that this would do for both of us at such a dodgy establishment.) Alicia offered to also work in the kitchens to help with board - and given her instinct, Don't ask, Persuade, where Persuade refers to the BW equivalent of D&D's Suggestion spell, this meant using her magic to get agreement. Alicia's player wanted to take time to prepare her spell, and as the GM for that purpose I thought that needed an Inconspicuous check. Unfortunately this failed, and so the innkeeper looked at her when she started muttering strange words, and so she just cast the spell. It succeeded (I set the innkeeper's Will, and hence the obstacle, at 3) and so he accepted her offer to work in the kitchen. The Tax for casting left her at Forte 1.

We agreed this gave me a bonus die for my Resources check, so I rolled two dice against Ob 1. This was a fail. We reviewed the Resources rules and had a bit of discussion and my co-GM decided that we didn't get a room and my cash die was gone (apparently the master's purse wasn't as full as we'd hoped). The innkeeper still insisted that Alicia work in the kitchen, though!

Taking back the GM's hat, I first adjudicated things for Alicia. I wanted an Ob Forte test to handle the heat and work in the kitchen; this succeeded (with Forte 1 the player was rolling 1 die; I think he must have rolled a 6 and then spent a Fate point to open-end this and get a second success). Then Aedhros re-entered the scene: with a successful Stealthy check I entered the kitchen unnoticed, and found Alicia. I proposed that we relieve the innkeeper of his cash-box (repay hurt for hurt) and Alicia agreed. Then we would take on the master of the ship. Alicia used her Weathersense to determine if a mist would be rolling in; her check succeeded, and so her prediction of mist was correct! (We'd agreed that a failed check mean clear skies and a bright moon.) She also rested (for about 6 hours) to regain one point of Tax, taking her Forte up to 2.

With the morning mist rolling in, it was time to clean out the innkeeper's cash box. We agreed that the day's takings would be 2D of cash. With successful checks, Alicia cast Cat's Eye so she could see in the dark; I succeeded at a straightforward Scavenging check so that Aedhros could find a burning brand (he can see in dim light or by starlight, but not in dark when the starts are obscured by mist). Alicia went first, in the dark but able to see, but failed an untrained Stealthy check despite a penalty to the innkeeper's Perception check for being asleep. So as she opened the door to the room where was sleeping on his feather-and-wool-stuffed mattress, he woke and stood up, moving his strongbox behind him. Alicia, being determined - as per one of her Beliefs - to meet any wrong to her with double in return, decided to tackle him physically. Of course she is trained in Martial Arts, as that's a favourite of her player! I proposed and he agreed that we resolve this via Bloody Versus (ie simple opposed checks) rather than fully scripting in Fight! I set the innkeeper's Brawling at 3, but he had significant penalties due to darkness, and so Alica - with 4 dice + 1 bonus die for superior Reflexes - won the fight easily. The injury inflicted was only superficial, but (as per the rules for Bloody Versus) Alicia had the innkeeper at her mercy - as we narrated it, thrown to the ground and held in a lock.

Aedhros entered the room at this point, with Heart-seeker drawn and ready for it to live up to its name. But Alicia thought that killing the innkeeper was a bit much. So first, she used her advantageous position to render the innkeeper unconscious (no check required, given the outcome of the Bloody Versus). Then her player, wearing the GM hat, insisted that I make a Steel check to commit cold-blooded murder. This failed, and so I hesitated for 4 actions. Handily, that is the casting time for Persuasion, and so Alicia "told" Aedhros not to kill the innkeeper. The casting check succeeded, but the Tax check was one success against an obstacle of 4. With only 1 Forte left, that was 3 Tax which would be 2 overtax, or an 8-point wound, which would be Traumatic for Alicia. But! - the Tax check also was the final check needed for her Forte 3 to step up to Forte 4 (wizard's get lots of juicy Forte checks because of all their Tax - in this case from the three spells cast), which made the overtax only 1, or a 4-point wound which was merely Superficial. Still, she collapsed unconscious.

Aedhros opened the strongbox and took the cash. We agreed that no check was required; and given his Belief that he can tolerate Alicia's company only because she's broken and poor, and given that it aggravates his Spite to suffer her incompetence in fainting, he kept all the money for himself. He then carried out the unconscious Alicia (again, no check required). He also took the innkeeper's boots, being sick of going about barefoot. But he will continue to wear his tattered clothes.
I think this action would not be replicable in 5e D&D.

D&D has no clear system for determining whether or not an offer of work and an offer of payment are accepted. It has not real framework for making small things like shoes, or a night's accommodation, matter. These generally sit below the level of loot and expenditure with which it is concerned. It has no analogue of a sorcerer's tax, nor any way of linking that to a test for working in the heat of the kitchens, which helped build up the pressure on Alicia and in the end led to her collapsing. And D&D 5e has no framework for establishing that a PC is not as cold as they took themselves to be, and hence unable to follow through on their murderous intent without hesitation.

Furthermore, I've played and GMed a lot of D&D, but have never had an experience occur where ordinary, unremarkable shoes are part of what is at stake. On the AD&D price list boots cost from 8 sp to 2 gp depending on make, in a context where most PCs starts with 10s of gp and where treasure acquisition is expected to be in the 100s and 1000s of gp (given the XP rules). In 4e D&D a PC starts with basic clothing as a default. In 5e D&D clothes tend to come as part of a PC's background, and common clothes cost 5 sp in the context of starting money of around 100 gp and expectations of comparable sorts of money being found on adventures.

This post is not an argument about the relative merits of 5e* and Burning Wheel. Rather, it is an attempt to show - via concrete examples taken from actual play - that what counts as meaningful is highly dependent on system.

I could give actual play examples from other systems, too - eg 4e D&D, or Cortex+ Heroic, or Rolemaster - that would show how those systems shape what is or isn't within the range of "meaningful consequences" and "meaningful narration".

clearstream

(He, Him)
For instance, is the claim that 5e* will produce the same play experience as Dungeon World?
No, I'm not making any claim about the surface experiences. My question is whether 5e, played naturally and consistently, produces fiction-first roleplay? 5e* is my argument to the effect that it does. I like this discussion in the context of FATE. (The link is to an article in the FATE SRD.)

7. Narrate the resolution within the given constraints.
3. The DM narrates the results of their actions.
3. The GM narrates the results, based on the player's roll.

Over the course of this thread I've even come to feel that grasping "narrates" as an imperative regulatory rule is vital to 5e*. It signals the shift from system to fiction, ending the basic loop in the fiction. I know we don't agree on the intertextual interpretation, so I will just say that seeing this word used the same way in games that we have no reason to doubt are fiction-first, inspires me to interpret it that way in 5e*.

5e has no systematic process for regulating or correlating the GM's introduction of complications in relation to the players' declarations of actions for their PCs, whereas DW does.
In the quoted texts above I notice variation. What has 5e to say about bringing complications or constraints back into the fiction? 5e* says that this is mandated because a roll wasn't called for unless it had complications correlated with it. That is something I wanted to explore as a follow up to @Faolyn's latest.

Whether or not FPRGers in the 1970s were trying to achieve the sort of play that DW delivers, they hadn't created systems that would do it in the way that DW does. To assert otherwise is, apart from anything else, an insult to Vincent Baker as a designer.
Oh, I'm surprised you can take that from anything I've written. On the one hand, I am saying Baker was influential. On the other hand, I'm saying that he made important progress on problems that communities of RPG theorists were concerned with (whether designers, players, or scholars, systematically or casually). Solutions to those problems didn't create new space for RPG, but clarified and structured space already in view. I'm reading The Elusive Shift at present, and perhaps will have a differing view of that later on. Design arcs such as FUDGE to FATE are of interest to me.

And flipping it around: what, if anything, is distinctive about 5e's encouragement to grasp the world as externally real: somewhere the characters live, but not necessarily built around them. Other than some self-referential RPGs like Toon and Over the Edge, what RPG doesn't have this aspiration? Dungeon World has certain principles intended to support it: Address the characters, not the players; Never speak the name of your move; Give every monster life; Name every person; Think offscreen, too. We can't capture anything distinctive about 5e D&D until we talk about concrete principles that govern the GM's narration - eg, perhaps what we might call the @Lanefan principle which goes something like When narrating the consequences of a check, successful, or unsuccessful, have no regard to what the player hoped their PC would achieve by way of the check. But then we would have to ask how this principle sits with character build elements like Beliefs, Traits, Flaws and the like - those make me wonder whether this mooted principle really is a component of 5e play that is consistent with RAW.
Your question here might be more one of whether 5e can be naturally and consistently interpreted to play as story-now? As you and others have pointed out, there is some rules support in TIBFs and Inspiration. I currently see fiction-first and story-now as sympathetic rather than synonymous.

Here is a bit from Vincent Baker:

So you're sitting at the table and one player says, "[let's imagine that] an orc jumps out of the underbrush!"​
What has to happen before the group agrees that, indeed, an orc jumps out of the underbrush?​
1. Sometimes, not much at all. The right participant said it, at an appropriate moment, and everybody else just incorporates it smoothly into their imaginary picture of the situation. "An orc! Yikes! Battlestations!" This is how it usually is for participants with high ownership of whatever they're talking about: GMs describing the weather or the noncombat actions of NPCs, players saying what their characters are wearing or thinking.​

So the fact that everyone at the table goes along with one participant's narration of something they have high ownership of - in this case, the action declarations for a NPC - shows us that the table is not under stress or dysfunctional - which is good! - but I don't see where it takes us in the analysis of RPGs, either in general or in any particular case. The purpose of Dungeon World's rules and principles that govern GM narration are not (primarily) to ensure agreement at the table. They're to produce a particular sort of play experience.
When we discussed the LP earlier, this was something I was trying to get at. System does seem to do some work beyond ensuring agreement. The possibility of differing systems producing differing experiences seems to require it. The LP describes what is necessary, but doesn't say what is sufficient (to create such differences.) What does system do to make the imagining we agree to, the particular play experience?

There are all sorts of things that can cause a GM to doubt what is the appropriate thing to narrate. For instance, an ogre attacks a MU/wizard PC. The attack hits. The attack removes more than half the PC's hit points. The GM narrates it as a hard blow to the head. Is the GM also permitted to narrate that the PC forgets one of their memorised spells (if a MU) or loses one of their prepared spells (if a 5e wizard)? I mean, memorising/preparing spells is clearly - in the fiction - a cognitive activity, reinforced in nearly all versions of D&D by the interplay between the INT stat and the ability of MUs/wizards to learn and/or cast spells. And it's pretty common knowledge that a hard blow to the head can affect cognitive ability in the short, medium and/or long term.

That sort of narration in AD&D would be a seriously bit of aggressive GMing! And would be unlikely to be an example of what Baker describes, as spell memorisation is something over which the player has a high degree of ownership. I'm pretty confident it would raise eyebrows at many, probably most, 5e tables too.

How do we know if there is a chance of failure? That seems to be, or at least to come very close to being, viciously circular: making a check introduces a chance of failure (unless the DC is no more than 1 greater than the bonus the player will have on their check), and so how can we use the possibility of failure as a criterion for calling for a check?
Exactly. Failure alone isn't sufficient. 5e* insists on the upholding of the DMG 237 rule, and through insistence on reaching meaningful narration, ensures that rule influences the game holistically.

A meaningful consequence for failure obviously does not have this particular issue, but it still requires us to know what the consequences for failure might be, and this is something that depends upon other elements of the system. Obviously if a hit on a head can cause you to lose hit points that are hard to recover, or cause you to lose a memorised spell, then nearly any physical activity might have a meaningful consequence for failure. But consider a system like Prince Valiant, in which there is no analogue to spell memorisation and in which recovery of Brawn lost due to physical strain or injury occurs entirely at the GM's discretion: that system difference, that sits in other parts of the PC build and action resolution rules, makes a big difference to what physical actions might have meaningful consequences for failure.

And then consider Burning Wheel, which derives nearly all those meaningful consequences from various elements of the PC build - Beliefs, Instincts, certain traits, Relationships, etc - which the GM draws upon both in framing, and in consequence narration. And these can have a prescriptive/descriptive dimension a bit like Dungeon World - eg Reputations and Relationships can change as consequences of actions, and this has concrete meaning not only for taking red ink to the PC sheet, but for the corresponding aspects of the fiction. The analogue in classic D&D might be losing a henchman due to a failed loyalty check. That can't bit the same way in a system without henchmen.
Reflecting here on conversation about FK a few months back, 5e* says that DM doesn't need to be told expressly what to narrate. 5e* even suspects it might be better to leave that up to DM (due in part to skepticism about the possibility of complete instructions.)

Example 4 is, for me, the flipside of the ogre-hits-the-wizard-on-the-head example. What is the actual, in play significance of the the "barely scratched" beyond being a type of D&D players' code for "has a lot of hit points remaining". Will the scratch bleed? (In real life, one sometimes kills and/or catches a creature by causing it to bleed, and then following it until it has bled to a state of enfeeblement, unconsciousness or death. Where does that happen in 5e*, and how does the GM's narration of hit point loss relate to that?)
Good questions, and I do plan to explore that. Not today though (work looms.)

As for the GM signalling their intentions for the NPC - she presses forward or she couches her club - isn't that pretty ubiquitous in all RPGing? What is distinctive about 5e* in this respect? Eg do these constrain the GM's ensuing action declarations? - After all, on the fact of things they look like action declarations. If the giant presses forward, does that give a bonus to save against a Thunderwave cast on the next turn? Does couching the club give the next PC a bonus to hit, or advantage to negotiation attempts? If the answer to my questions is yes then I can see how the fiction is meaningful, but I think we have now departed from the RAW of the 5e rulebooks (except perhaps the advantage to negotiation, though even there my understanding is that is mostly meant to flow from player cleverness rather than the GM's inclinations about what their NPCs might prefer). If the answer is no, then those narrations seem to be mere colour. For instance, a player who missed them because out of the room at that moment could come back and still attack the giant, or still try to re-open negotiations.
As I anticipated, it's easy to quibble my examples. They're simply the most barebones case that had so far come up. With them I only wanted to address some basic doubts. Recollecting that I say fictional positioning is the total set of all of the valid gameplay options available to player at this moment of play. I believe they encourage understanding saying something meaningful, to be saying something that matters in the fiction (which it must, to produce coherent gameplay, given the F > S > F core loop!)

This post is not a criticism of 5e*. I personally am unlikely to play 5e D&D in its * or any other form, but nothing about 5e* has changed my disposition in this respect.
Knowing your tastes, it has never been on my agenda to persuade you to play 5e, in any form! I'd sooner suspect your account of being usurped.

:p

This post is a criticism of the notion that the exhortation to narrate meaningfully or narrate meaningful consequences tells us anything about a RPG system. To me, it seems that the action is in the process, expectations etc that shape who owns what, how things are framed, what repertoire of consequences the system provides for, etc. This is where we find the differences between different RPGs.
I like the way you put that. Certainly I now believe that grasping the 5e* rule as an imperative regulatory rule successfully ensures players begin and end their core loop in the fiction. Interpreting "narrates" as "say something meaningful" ensures that the principle captured in the DMG 237 rule lives in the PHB 6 basic pattern, i.e. matters throughout. That is one way that it counts.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
(1) Thurgon - knight of a military order amd my PC - and his sidekick Aramina, were travelling upriver in the borderlands. The GM wanted to skip a few days, but I insisted on playing out the first evening, as Thurgon and Aramina debated what to do. Aramina - being learned in Great Masters-wise, believed that the abandoned tower of Evard the Black lay somewhere in the forest on the north side of the river (a successful check, initiated by me as her player), and wanted to check it out (and find spellbooks! - one of her central movitvations as stated in her Beliefs). Thurgon persuaded her that they could not do such a thing unless (i) she fixed his breastplate, and (ii) they found some information in the abandoned fortresses of his order which would indicate that the tower was, at least, superficially safe to seek out (eg not an orc fortress a la Angmar/Dol Guldur). My recollection is that we resolved this as a Duel of Wits with me scripting for Thurgon and the GM for Aramina.

As I posted at the time,
5e D&D has no system of damage to armour, and hence no way to make repair of it a substantive matter of contention among characters. And it has no way of resolving that contention other than talking it out - treating the sidekick as a NPC, there is a system which permits the PC to persuade or fail to persuade them, but not for them to generate a change of commitment on the part of the PC.
Great, vivid example. I need to up my exemplification game! I don't record my play, but I over the course of our conversations the worth of doing so is coming clear. I'm going to recast your example in 5e*.

Thurgon - knight of a military order amd my PC - and his sidekick Aramina, were travelling upriver in the borderlands. The GM wanted to skip a few days, but I insisted on playing out the first evening, as Thurgon and Aramina debated what to do.
Stands as is. As GM, I am always listening to players and going with them where they go.

Aramina - being learned in Great Masters-wise, believed that the abandoned tower of Evard the Black lay somewhere in the forest on the north side of the river (a successful check, initiated by me as her player), and wanted to check it out (and find spellbooks! - one of her central movitvations as stated in her Beliefs).
Stands as is. Character background (TIBFs), alignment, and backstory list motivations that inform our fiction. In my version of the example, Arimina is curious about what lies beyond the forest on the north side and describes reflecting on Great Masters lore. The question is consequential, as it will either take our campaign in a dangerous direction that might make new spells available, or we will continue upriver. I think the tower isn't well known, but it's not shrouded by magic either. DC 15 say. Both success and failure are possible, so I call for a check. It happens that either in my prep or on the fly I have an idea about an abandoned tower there.

Thurgon persuaded her that they could not do such a thing unless (i) she fixed his breastplate, and (ii) they found some information in the abandoned fortresses of his order which would indicate that the tower was, at least, superficially safe to seek out (eg not an orc fortress a la Angmar/Dol Guldur). My recollection is that we resolved this as a Duel of Wits with me scripting for Thurgon and the GM for Aramina.
Stands as is. As GM, I let them know they can simply agree, but as it turns out Thurgon is stubborn and Aramina really wants to visit that tower. I call for a contest using Charisma. Based on their friendly and cooperative relationship, I say both may add Persuasion (neither says anything to make me feel Intimidation or Deception would be appropriate.)

Some RAI that social interaction ability checks cannot be used on player-characters. Based on RAW, I rule that they can. Some foes and traps can damage armor (typically reducing AC in 1-point steps), so in my 5e-universe version of the example, our prior conversation contained Thurgon running into one such trap.

Aramina has proficiency with Smith's Tools. With a few supplies, she can repair Thurgon's armor. She could spend a full day (no check), but the player wants to push to get it done in one hour (DC 15, guided to by XGE and DMG rules.) A breastplate is a valuable piece of armor, so I'm saying 4 gp for materials of the quality required, but those are not spoiled by failures: the only cost is time. For simplicity, I say to the players that a successful check will have it repaired in an hour, and a failure will have it repaired the next day. (Note that as GM I'm not sure that I agree with Aramina that the difference matters, but she has determined that it is consequential to her.)

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't think that I am following every nuance in this thread.
You're still ahead of me, I haven't been following this thread at all. That said...
...I've been mentioned out of the blue for some reason, so now I suppose I'd better pay attention.

Beliefs, Traits, etc. are generally long-term overarching elements of one's character and its personality; and thus likely wouldn't have much effect on a lot of day-to-day short-term or immediate action declaration/resolution cycles unless there's a direct connection e.g. a character's Flaw being a fear of heights might impact its odds of success on climbing checks but will have no impact on its ability to find secret doors or to remember a scrap of information about the Baron's father.

Other than that I'm not sure what you're getting at here, or why I'm involved.

clearstream

(He, Him)
You're still ahead of me, I haven't been following this thread at all. That said...

...I've been mentioned out of the blue for some reason, so now I suppose I'd better pay attention.

Beliefs, Traits, etc. are generally long-term overarching elements of one's character and its personality; and thus likely wouldn't have much effect on a lot of day-to-day short-term or immediate action declaration/resolution cycles unless there's a direct connection e.g. a character's Flaw being a fear of heights might impact its odds of success on climbing checks but will have no impact on its ability to find secret doors or to remember a scrap of information about the Baron's father.

Other than that I'm not sure what you're getting at here, or why I'm involved.
So you're more saying - the chance of success or failure isn't impacted by what the player hoped to achieve?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So you're more saying - the chance of success or failure isn't impacted by what the player hoped to achieve?
I suppose?

If you're climbing a wall, for example, whether your end goal is to see what's on the other side or escape a rising flood or simply just get to the top makes no difference to the actual resolution of the climb check nor to the odds of success. The subsequent narration would of course take the environment and goal into consideration, as in (on success):

"Good. You're up the wall and can see [...whatever there is to be seen on the other side...]. Now what?"
"Good. You're up the wall and have given yourself a reprieve from the rising water. It's still slowly rising, though, and there's no way of telling whether it'll eventually get up to your elevation or not. What do you do next?"
"Good. You're up the wall. [if there's anything new to narrate up here, narrate it now] What do you do next?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases