• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (5e Eberron) any monsters associated with the Mournland?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
A few weeks ago, I started an Eberron campaign. Currently, the players are exploring one of the islands off the coast of Aerenal, but they will eventually be heading for the Mournland.

My question is, are there any monsters from 3.5 or 4th edition D&D specifically associated with the Mournland?
Besides the Lord of Blades and his warforged fanatics, of course.

I like to plan things out (and create the monster stat blocks) a few months in advance, so any help would be deeply appreciated.

SIDE NOTE
Before anyone asks, no, I am unable to use the DMs Guild, D&D Beyond, or Drivethrough RPG to obtain the necessary information. My IPad REALLY doesn’t like those websites.
Also, there is no local gaming store nearby that still keeps 3.5 or 4e products in stock.

MarkB

Legend
Aside from living spells, there are a lot of unbound elementals in the Mournland. There are also more specific monsters such as Carcass Crabs.

Beyond that, just go with the concept of creatures being twisted by the Mournland's influence, and of magic persisting and taking on life. If there are living spells, maybe there are living magic items too - use the Animated Objects stats, combined with the magic item's functions statted as special abilities.

Ringtail

World Traveller
The 3rd Edition Eberron Campaign Setting has a small monster section in the back, which features a few monsters others have already said such as the Carcass Crab and Living Spells.

Another 3rd Edition Eberron book, Five Nations, features a whole section on the Mournland including several monsters: The Mourner (Undead cloud of greyish mist), Shroud of Death and Despair (a blackish ooze), and the Steel Kraken (self explanatory.)

I don't see anything in my 4e books.

Either way, both books are full of useful information, especially if all you're using right now is the Wayfinder's Guide. Unfortunately you'd have to buy them on DriveThruRPG. Is there no way you can purchase them on say a Desktop or Laptop and download them to your iPad?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Another 3rd Edition Eberron book, Five Nations, features a whole section on the Mournland including several monsters: The Mourner (Undead cloud of greyish mist), Shroud of Death and Despair (a blackish ooze), and the Steel Kraken (self explanatory.)

Ooh, the Shroud of Despair and Death sounds really cool!

Either way, both books are full of useful information, especially if all you're using right now is the Wayfinder's Guide. Unfortunately you'd have to buy them on DriveThruRPG. Is there no way you can purchase them on say a Desktop or Laptop and download them to your iPad?

No chance whatsoever, sadly.

It is not that big of an issue. I’m fairly good at creating homebrew monsters.

I just need to know what kind of official monsters are traditionally found only in the Mournland.

Vael

Legend
I just need to know what kind of official monsters are traditionally found only in the Mournland.

Most of the official ones have been covered, but I'll just add that the Mournland, to me, needs to feel wrong. Like everything is off kilter and twisted.

Also, Living spells is a deep well to work with. A Living Fireball is easy, but a Living Tasha's Hideous Laughter? Or a Living Rope Trick? Living Hypnotic Pattern? It's a fun space for monster design.

Disclaimer, don't know jack about Eberron or the Mournland.

Maybe the Sorrowsworn from Mordenkeinen's Tome of Foes could fit in? Basically manifestations of negative emotions like anger, loneliness, hunger, etc.

Remove ads