D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
For me, I don't need more neutral or good anything. I'd rather see more epic, bad guy minions. Medium or large size, so I don't need an absurd space for the combats.

Anything in particular? Epic minions seems a bit like an oxymoron to me! ;)

FYI, I see this as an issue in general with epic play. It isn't epic it you are still fighting minions IMO, but that is kinda how lvl 1-20 are set up. And I imagine it gets boring always fighting demon lords or arch devils. That is another reason I just added a bunch of "epic minions" from the Epic Level Handbook (they are not stated yet). One thing I am thinking of adding are swarms, such as:

Demon Horde (Different CR/stat block for a horde of balors vs horde of hezrou)
Infernal Legion
Celestial Host
Flight of Dragons

Faenor

Explorer
Good points, and agreed it's a problem with epic tier play. How do I do epic level dungeons where you have a series of encounters that are challenging, and create that attrition that 5e is based on, before getting to the epic boss. Otherwise I'm just like "ok, you plane shift into this vast open space. Epic bad guy floating there 200 feet away. Roll initiative."

dave2008

Legend
Good points, and agreed it's a problem with epic tier play. How do I do epic level dungeons where you have a series of encounters that are challenging, and create that attrition that 5e is based on, before getting to the epic boss. Otherwise I'm just like "ok, you plane shift into this vast open space. Epic bad guy floating there 200 feet away. Roll initiative."

I think epic level play probably needs a different paradigm. Mostly investigation, exploration,etc. and then BAM! the big throwdown.

However, any epic minions you would like to see?

Faenor

Explorer
I'm sorry, I don't know of anything. Also, I don't necessarily mean cr20+ minion. Mid-teens for cr. Stuff to cut through. You know, actually. Abishai have potential. Dragon like, but medium to large size. No legendaries, though reactions and bonus actions are good. To be used in fighting to the boss, and supporting the boss. Also, exploration I find to be boring with no risk. If a pit trap or a difficult climb aren't dangerous, then they are just delaying tactics.

dave2008

Legend
I'm sorry, I don't know of anything. Also, I don't necessarily mean cr20+ minion. Mid-teens for cr. Stuff to cut through. You know, actually. Abishai have potential. Dragon like, but medium to large size. No legendaries, though reactions and bonus actions are good. To be used in fighting to the boss, and supporting the boss. Also, exploration I find to be boring with no risk. If a pit trap or a difficult climb aren't dangerous, then they are just delaying tactics.

Got it. We do probably need more monsters in the CR 15-20 range to fill that role, but unfortunately that is not the goal of this thread. I have thought about doing an update of CR10-21 monsters, but I don't know that I will have the time.

I have no need of dragons besides the chromatic and maybe a metalic or two (and dracolisks). All the neverending page fillers of "fog dragon" and "rural hillside dragon" and "cucumber dragon" are just blah, imo.

dave2008

Legend
I have no need of dragons besides the chromatic and maybe a metalic or two (and dracolisks). All the neverending page fillers of "fog dragon" and "rural hillside dragon" and "cucumber dragon" are just blah, imo.

Thank you for the feedback! I tend to agree. I'm of the mind that if I need more powerful dragons I will just make them unique version of the typical types. I can always add them later if there is a demand for them.

dave2008

Legend
Attack of the Colossi! I have added the God Forged Colossus, the Iron Colossus, the Stone Colossus, and the Flesh Colossus to the Constructs section.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Anaxim to the Constructs section. Just the Umbral Blot to go and I will be finished with the drafts of the epic constructs ( for now at least).

Remove ads