D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
Okay cause I saw Iggwilv with epic boons and her CR was 9 higher than the one without.
Got it - I was just explaining how she achieved things beyond a typical PC.

However, an epic boon has the same effect any other trait. It is a case by case basis. If a boon gives more HP (Boon of Fortitude) then you use that HP in the CR calculation. There is not set guide for 1 boon = X bonus to CR. You just calculate CR normally.

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
EPIC MONSTERS:
CONSTRUCTS:
Godforged Colossus (CR 38):
by dave2008
Baak (CR 35):
by dave2008
Iron Colossus (CR 33):
by dave2008
Umbral Blot (CR 30):
by dave2008
Stone Colossus (CR 28):
by dave2008
Flesh Colossus (CR 23):
by dave2008
Adamantine Golem (CR 21):
by dave2008
Anaxim (CR 20)
by dave2008
In terms of potential, what is the most powerful construct? Admantine Colossus?

Modesaus

Villager
This is a great concept for deities and powers. But there is a lot of mistakes in the power level, for example I give tiamat and asmodeus because they are the ones that I am most interested in. Tiamat is a lesser deity, not her avatar, I don't know if the 30 CR monster stats in rise of tiamat are for her or for her avatar, but she is 100% a lesser deity and not greater deity. Asmodeus, is an archdevil, yes, but he is also a greater deity, so it makes no sense that he is a CR 34 while Tiamat is 48.

Modesaus

Villager
I actually believe that the stats you wrote for her as a CR 48 match better for a LESSER DEITY, but that means that if this is a lesser deity you need to scale everything up.

dave2008

Legend
This is a great concept for deities and powers. But there is a lot of mistakes in the power level, for example I give tiamat and asmodeus because they are the ones that I am most interested in. Tiamat is a lesser deity, not her avatar, I don't know if the 30 CR monster stats in rise of tiamat are for her or for her avatar, but she is 100% a lesser deity and not greater deity. Asmodeus, is an archdevil, yes, but he is also a greater deity, so it makes no sense that he is a CR 34 while Tiamat is 48.
In 5e Asmodeus is not a greater power. The MM specifically states that he has power similar to a Lesser Deity, same as Tiamat. FYI, the version of Tiamat in RoT is intended to her stat block, not here avatar.

Regarding why I have Tiamat so much higher: I'm biased. It has never made sense to me the the god of dragons is so weak. Therefore, her stat block here is based on a combination of D&D Tiamat and her mythological origins as the mother of all monsters and greatest foe of the gods.

It has never made sense to me the the god of dragons is so weak. Therefore, her stat block here is based on a combination of D&D Tiamat and her mythological origins as the mother of all monsters and greatest foe of the gods.
I still don't like her being an actual god. I get that dragons worship her in some way (and that metallics worship Bahamut), but that imo should be from a "she' the baddest mo-fo around these parts" perspective, not because "oh, she's our holiest". So, more like the BBD at the end of How to Train Your Dragon, and less because of divinity.
Now, her actual power level might be equal to a lesser deity, but that's another story....

dave2008

Legend
I still don't like her being an actual god. I get that dragons worship her in some way (and that metallics worship Bahamut), but that imo should be from a "she' the baddest mo-fo around these parts" perspective, not because "oh, she's our holiest". So, more like the BBD at the end of How to Train Your Dragon, and less because of divinity.
Now, her actual power level might be equal to a lesser deity, but that's another story....
That is basically what I will be doing with the "Dragon Rulers" in ASCENSION. I call them "Rulers," because the are not true gods. Like you said, some mortals may worship them as gods (but not dragons), but they are in fact something else. It is going back to their roots in BECMI (though they are different dragon rulers in M & I). They have the might of gods, but they don't have Authority like true deities.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases