5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Cleon

Legend
Done.

Updating the Fomorian Butcher.

That's everything apart from the Description finished.

Speaking of which, the original Monster Manual 2 doesn't give much for the background Info, namely:

Intro:
BRUTAL AND RELENTLESS, a fomorian butcher fixates on one opponent, trying to hack the creature to death with its falchion.​
Tactics:
A fomorian butcher charges the most physically dangerous-looking foe, hewing wildly with its massive falchion. It then uses its evil eye to prevent the enemy from escaping. It spends an action point to make another falchion attack when that opponent becomes bloodied. It concentrates on one foe, trying to do as much damage as possible with fomorian butchery.​
Lore:
Fomorian butchers are the most sadistic among fomorians and have been known to cut slaves in half simply for the joy of it. Their simpleminded pleasure in slaughter makes them frequent targets for recruitment and manipulation by other creatures. Fomorian butchers often work with devils, greedily trading their souls and some mysterious afterlife for the power they desire in the Feywild and beyond.​
Encounter Groups:
In a Level 21 Encounter with a Fomorian Cackler and Painbringer, suggesting they like hanging around with similarly sadistic Fomorians.​

If we rework the above facts that should be enough for a Description.

Let's see…

A fomorian butcher is a grossly misshapen giant like the rest of its kin. They wear leather armor covered in plates of metal scrap which act as surprisingly effective armor. The giant wields an enormous falchion in two hands, a cleaver-like blade massive enough to chop an elephant in half. The fomorian's skin and equipment is covered in gore, ranging from fresh red blood to blackened dried stains. Its most obvious deformity is an enormous eye that glares with baleful intensity.​
Fey Eye of Malevolence. stuff about Evil Eye.​
Obsessed with Slaughter. They really like to cut up creatures.​
Gullible Associates. Not the Brightest. Easily manipulated by beings who can exploit their desire for butchery.​

That'll do for a rough outline.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Fey Eye of Malevolence. As well as having the ocular powers of their ordinary kin, fomorian butchers can restrain opponents with a glance of their evil eye.
Obsessed with Slaughter. Fomorian butchers are among the most malign of their kind, obsessed with causing mayhem in battle and slaughtering foes.
Gullible Associates. Fomorian butchers are easily manipulated by beings who can exploit their desire for butchery.

Cleon

Legend
Fey Eye of Malevolence. As well as having the ocular powers of their ordinary kin, fomorian butchers can restrain opponents with a glance of their evil eye.
Obsessed with Slaughter. Fomorian butchers are among the most malign of their kind, obsessed with causing mayhem in battle and slaughtering foes.
Gullible Associates. Fomorian butchers are easily manipulated by beings who can exploit their desire for butchery.

Hmm, that seems rather vanilla. I'd go for…

Fey Eye of Malevolence. Some fomorians retain traces of the vast magical ability they lost while invading the Feywild. This grants the giant truesight, allowing them to overcome the invisibility common to Fey, and often increases and alters the power of their Evil Eye. A fomorian butcher can restrain or paralyze opponents with a glance, and they can inflict their Curse of the Evil Eye repeatedly, unlike a common fomorian which must rest before it can use its cursed faze a second time.​
Obsessed with Slaughter. The mind of a fomorian butcher is twisted and brutal. It derives pleasure from slaughter and bloodshed, loving nothing better than slowly chopping a living creature into mincemeat. Once it picks a target, often the most beautiful or athletic among a group of humanoid or giant opponents, the fomorian butcher becomes obsessed with hacking them to death. This fixation can be a weakness, as it often causes the butcher to neglect other dangers in its lust to cleave the chosen victim's flesh. A fomorian butcher keeps slaves like other fomorians, but these usually die quickly to the butcher's bloody whims. The commonest exception are trolls, who are a fomorian butcher's preferred slaves because they regenerate after being chopped up.​
Gullible Associates. A fomorian butcher is no smarter than an ordinary fomorian and their obsession with butchery makes them easy to manipulate. Cunning and powerful creatures who can provide the butcher with victims sometimes exploit these giants as disposable champions. Powerful warriors who will slay the enemies of their "friend" for the price of a few captives.​

What think thee?

Cleon

Legend
Obsessed with Slaughter. The mind of a fomorian butcher is twisted and brutal. It derives pleasure from slaughter and bloodshed, loving nothing better than slowly chopping a living creature into mincemeat. Once it picks a target, often the most beautiful or athletic among a group of humanoid or giant opponents, the fomorian butcher becomes obsessed with hacking them to death. This fixation can be a weakness, as it often causes the butcher to neglect other dangers in its lust to cleave the chosen victim's flesh. A fomorian butcher keeps slaves like other fomorians, but these usually die quickly to the butcher's bloody whims. The commonest exception are trolls, who are a fomorian butcher's preferred slaves because they regenerate after being chopped up.

Hmm, upon reflection I might cut that bit about trolls out since a troll doesn't seem to feel much pain from being cut up so the Butcher might not get its jollies from doing it. Meaning trolls might not be preferred.

If I do keep it, would probably tighten the sentence to "The commonest exception are trolls, who are favored victims since they can regenerate after being hacked apart."

Cleon

Legend
Yep - done and dusted. I cut out bit on trolls as I don't think it adds much and I could see some people finding it a bit gratuitously icky.

Yes, that was a factor. Although they are pretty icky when one thinks about them, like many monsters.

Will leave it out.

Upon reflection, I'll tweak "They wear leather armor covered in plates of metal scrap which act as surprisingly effective armor" to "They wear thick leather clothes, aprons and gloves, sometimes reinforced with metal scraps to form surprisingly effective armor." It rings better and I don't care for the duplication of "armor" in the original wording.

Updating the Fomorian Butcher.

I fear there are numerous errors and omissions in this draft. For example, its truesight has gone AWOL and it's CR 12 with most of its numbers using a +4 proficiency adjustment instead of +5 and its actual Challenge 13. That means its DCs of 15 should be 16. Speaking of which, the Butchery DC should be 16 not 20.

There's multiple sections that are wrongly worded, or have remnants of older drafts. For example, the ? bit in Shove, the wording of Multiattack,

Also, its Evil Eye is a Bonus Action, not a Reaction.

It'd be easier for you to compare it to the Enworld Fomorian Butcher and note the differences rather than me listing all of them. Well, easier for me!

Cleon

Legend
Also, its Evil Eye is a Bonus Action, not a Reaction.

Speaking of Bonus Actions, it's got Fomorian Brutality which I haven't got in the Enworld version.

I'm OK keeping it, since it doesn't increase the DPR that much (effectively it's similar to a weapon that does triple damage on a hit rather than double, or rather slightly less than triple as it needs to hit with the "free" attack.

The wording is a bit suspect though. It's worded as though the butcher had no option but to use its bonus action to make that attack, even if it wanted to use it for an Evil Eye.

Also, shouldn't it be a Reaction rather than a Bonus Action?

Like so:

Reactions
Fomorian Brutality. If the fomorian butcher scores a critical hit on a target affected by its Evil Eye or its Curse of the Evil Eye, it can use its reaction to make a falchion attack against that target.​

Shall I toss that into the Enworld Fomorian Butcher?

Remove ads