D&D 5E 5e Guide to the Abyss and 9 Hells?

plisnithus8

Adventurer
With all of the fiends in Mordenkainen's, I'd really like to have a guide to their home planes.
Are there any published 3rd party products that have maps or descriptions of what these are like? or maybe something from a previous edition?

I'd like my players to have the option to go through a portal that was opened, but I really don't have time to home-brew it all now.
I know there are pieces of this type of stuff in the WotC books, but I was hoping to find something more substantial with some NPCs and maps, and "town" descriptions.

Any suggestions?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
A few issues ago, Dragon+ republished an old Dragon magazine article by Ed Greenwood that detailed the hells.

Okay, here is the link:

http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/18/DRA18_hells.pdf

Published in Dragon+ issue 18, this is a PDF of a reformatted version of Dragon #400's anniversary issue article "Return to the Nine Hells" which is a reprinting of Ed Greenwood's two-part series on the 9 hells originally printed in issues #75 and #76 (1983)

As for maps, Pathfinder just put out one for Dis in Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Distant Realms. Since it is the same "whole realm is a city" in both sets of lore, it should be pretty adaptable.

MPA2000

Explorer
With all of the fiends in Mordenkainen's, I'd really like to have a guide to their home planes.
Are there any published 3rd party products that have maps or descriptions of what these are like? or maybe something from a previous edition?

I'd like my players to have the option to go through a portal that was opened, but I really don't have time to home-brew it all now.
I know there are pieces of this type of stuff in the WotC books, but I was hoping to find something more substantial with some NPCs and maps, and "town" descriptions.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately we only have the campaign setting for the Abyss, and nothing for the nine hells. Tiamat rules(d) the first layer of the nine hells but not much in specifics.

As aforementioned there were the 3.5 Fiendish Codex books. 4E also had a Demonomicon that details a number of Abyssal layers, lists the entirety of them and their rulers, and introduced a brand new demon lord named Oublivae. Keep in mind that the 4E Abyss is a bit different from most other editions, and many of the new monsters introduced are demonic elementals.

Remove ads