D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

dave2008

Legend
I was reading over the Green Dragon's, and had a few notes:

1) The young dragon's speed is actually less than the base book, was that intentional?
I don't remember! Looking back over it, i don't like that all the older dragons have the same speed. I plan on revising the dragons when I get to the "D"s so I will review it in depth then.

2) I like the dominating prescence to remove resistance, but not immunity to charm. I think immunities are very special things, and the whole point is for a party member to sit back and relax while his friends are sweating bullets at the effect they have to do. That's a key moment of specialness for players, and not something I think should be taken away.
I agree!

3) I would increase the level of poison spray. For example for the Viscount, at max level the spray does 26 damage, compared to the regular attack routine that's peanuts. Even at max level its basically a ribbon ability.
Are you talking about the spell? I generally look at all the spells as ribbon effects (with exceptions for predominately spelllcasters). The CR is based on the abilities and traits in the stat blocks, not the spell list. But yes, the damage is to low (and range to short) to be useful.

4) Poisonous Wounds and Unstoppable are AWESOME!
Thanks! I prefer Unstoppable to Legendary Resistance.

5) Should luring glare be a charm effect?
Possibly, I do like that immunity to being charmed isn't in play though.

6) How long does the poisoned condition on the breath weapon last?
As written indefinite. There are many spells that can remove it. However, it should probably have a time limit.

Stalker0

Legend
As written indefinite. There are many spells that can remove it.

For the Earl and Above (CR 18+) I could maybe see that. The party has 9th level spells at that point, anything goes:)

Below that...its actually an exceptionally powerful ability. With the save DCs dragons are throwing, there is a solid chance the entire party will fail that save. I don't think that's a problem (its a freakin dragon), but having the party with disadvantage on all checks and attacks for the rest of the fight and beyond is too much imo.

Even a 1 round poisoned would be very painful.

dave2008

Legend
For the Earl and Above (CR 18+) I could maybe see that. The party has 9th level spells at that point, anything goes:)

Below that...its actually an exceptionally powerful ability. With the save DCs dragons are throwing, there is a solid chance the entire party will fail that save. I don't think that's a problem (its a freakin dragon), but having the party with disadvantage on all checks and attacks for the rest of the fight and beyond is too much imo.

Even a 1 round poisoned would be very painful.

Well a lvl 2 restoration spell removes the condition, so I am definitely not worried about it at higher levels. I may need limit at lower levels though. I will look at it when I get to the "D"s and update the dragons. Thank you for the suggestions!

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I took a little break from the regular schedule and I thought I would take a stab at making a dragon with my new "solo" creature design (without legendary actions). So I have uploaded revisions to the following red dragons: Ancient, Elder, Adult, and Young. I also added the Young Adult and removed the Wyrm and Great Wyrm. I have decided that the Wyrm and Great Wyrm age groups are "epic" creatures and will follow my revised epic monster guidelines to be issued next year.

Stalker0

Legend
I took a little break from the regular schedule and I thought I would take a stab at making a dragon with my new "solo" creature design (without legendary actions). So I have uploaded revisions to the following red dragons: Ancient, Elder, Adult, and Young. I also added the Young Adult and removed the Wyrm and Great Wyrm. I have decided that the Wyrm and Great Wyrm age groups are "epic" creatures and will follow my revised epic monster guidelines to be issued next year.

I read through the Adult. My first reaction was "I'm not sure this is going to cut the mustard against a 17th level party" until I read its reactions. So it looks pretty good:) My fear was it would get taken out by some big spell whammy, but its saving throws are all very good.

A few notes:

Ignite: This does so little damage that its not worth the bookkeeping. I would upgrade it or remove it, at least from the Adult.

Draconic Instincts (Fire Breath): Is the intention of this that it simply expands on already used breath weapon, or can I use regular attacks and then trigger a breath weapon at that point?

I'm not a fan that Draconic Instincts takes a reaction....and then you have reaction abilities. I think its confusing and too easy for DMs to miss. If you want the dragon to do something on Initiative 10, just let them do it I say.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer

That's pretty damn awesome, will be waiting for next year!

dave2008

Legend
I read through the Adult. My first reaction was "I'm not sure this is going to cut the mustard against a 17th level party" until I read its reactions. So it looks pretty good:) My fear was it would get taken out by some big spell whammy, but its saving throws are all very good.

Magic resistance and unstoppable also help.

A few notes:

Ignite: This does so little damage that its not worth the bookkeeping. I would upgrade it or remove it, at least from the Adult.

Yes, it is more a ribbon effect. It is there because it is what I think dragon fire should be, it doesn't have much of an effect on PCs at this level, but it makes sense for the fiction of a dragon - so that is why it is there. Not everything is just about the mechanics :)

Draconic Instincts (Fire Breath): Is the intention of this that it simply expands on already used breath weapon, or can I use regular attacks and then trigger a breath weapon at that point?
Expands on a used breath weapon - it may need some work to clarify that.

I'm not a fan that Draconic Instincts takes a reaction....and then you have reaction abilities. I think its confusing and too easy for DMs to miss. If you want the dragon to do something on Initiative 10, just let them do it I say.
That was what I did originally (just acts w/out costing a reaction), but then I remembered that the intent of this exercise was not to introduce new mechanics (i.e. stick to move, action, bonus action, and reaction). It also creates choices which I like. It may change again down the road, but I wanted to follow through with my original concept and see how it worked for dragons.

Thank you for the comments.

The new design looks good. Perhaps a bit rough around the edges still, but the concept is sound.

A couple of points you may consider making clearer:
1) maybe it should specify that the dragon only loses the use of the draconic instincts actions, and not the remaining benefits of draconic instincts.
2) being adjacent to an ignited area inflicts the same damage as being inside?
3) for tail slam, I assume 'the dragon's reach' is the 40' reach (for the ancient)?
4) I really, really enjoyed the bloodied breath feature of 4e, almost ensuring a dragon always got to use it's breath at least twice. Have you considered including it?

Look forward to seeing you picking up the advanced monster design in the new year - have a happy one :D

dave2008

Legend
So does this mean the versions with legendary actions have/will "poofed" into non-existence?

They are off this thread, yes. However, I still have them in my flash drive and I believe they are in the downloadable PDF (I can't remember the last time I updated that). If not, and you want them I can email them to you.

Remove ads