D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

Hi Dave

Was looking a the Ancient Red Dragon Kahn. It's space is 30x30 ft. If it uses its Fire Aura ability, it becomes a pillar of fire 10 ft. in radius. That means it actually becomes smaller than before and creatures that were adjacent to it before now won't be affected by the aura?

Also, could you please give a reminder as to why you're moving away from legendary actions. I personally find the extra reactions at a certain initative count and the usage of a potential opportunity attack to be a bit cumbersome, but most importantly, it deviates from the standard way of doing boss monsters, that everybody else is following. I'm afraid it could lessen the appeal of your work for (many?) people, which would be a shame indeed.

dave2008

Legend
Hi Dave

Was looking a the Ancient Red Dragon Kahn. It's space is 30x30 ft. If it uses its Fire Aura ability, it becomes a pillar of fire 10 ft. in radius. That means it actually becomes smaller than before and creatures that were adjacent to it before now won't be affected by the aura?

The intent is a 10-foot radius around the dragon's space (so 40x40). I will have to revise the language to clarify.

Also, could you please give a reminder as to why you're moving away from legendary actions. I personally find the extra reactions at a certain initative count and the usage of a potential opportunity attack to be a bit cumbersome, but most importantly, it deviates from the standard way of doing boss monsters, that everybody else is following. I'm afraid it could lessen the appeal of your work for (many?) people, which would be a shame indeed.

At first it was just a thought exercise spurred by a comment in another thread (about not liking that legendary monsters had a different action economy). Then I realized when I decided to do my 2nd phase of epic monsters and PCs that it is a problem if everyone has legendary actions. So I wanted a simplified design that allows easier legendary on legendary combat. I have a method for my epic monsters, but it doesn't really work (IMO) for non-epic monsters, so I went back to the idea of revising legendary monsters to have the standard action economy. I was trying to merge my "hardcore" and "epic" threads. However, I am starting to except that maybe that is not a good idea.

Remove ads