D&D 5E [5E] Longer long rests and spell durations

For those of you who have used long rests taking 3 or more days, how did you deal with spell durations. For example, goodberry at 24 hours, higher-slot hex at 24 hours.

It used to be the case that you'd cast goodberry before a long rest using unused spell slots and then regain the slots at the end of the rest. With a 7 day long rest, this isn't possible. Did you increate the duration of goodberry? To 8 days? 14 days?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
For those of you who have used long rests taking 3 or more days, how did you deal with spell durations. For example, goodberry at 24 hours, higher-slot hex at 24 hours.

It used to be the case that you'd cast goodberry before a long rest using unused spell slots and then regain the slots at the end of the rest. With a 7 day long rest, this isn't possible. Did you increate the duration of goodberry? To 8 days? 14 days?
The DMG267 gritty realism 7 day long rest ruls IME do not work very well at all, but I can't recall things like food & 24hour spell durations ever even coming up. Lots of items recover charges each day at a particular time, changing to an 8hr short rest & a 7 day long rest means that they will typically recover a charge during a dhort rest & almost always fully recharge during a long rest leading to players regularly using them for alpha/nova strike uses rather than keeping them as a "break glass in case of emergency" trump card in their back pocket. The result of practically every evocation spell equipped recharging t $time magic item is terrible, go with "this has x charges & crumbles when you use them all".

The other big problem is finding a balance for how often to give rests. Short rest classes do ok, long rest classes are brutalized.

The only spell durations that are problematic are the rest related ones like rope trick (still good for ambushes) & tiny hut(too bad not sad for it) or Magnificent mansion (it is a seventh level spell, extend duration to a week & casting time to a few hours)

NotAYakk

Legend

I don't see the problem.

Sure, you cannot hex, short rest, then adventure. But remember this is intended to make 5 minute adventuring days go away, so the benefits to Warlocks (relative to other classes) will be solid anyhow.

And goodberry, well, it means that with this change feeding 10 people indefinitely takes more than 1 1st level spell slot. Doesn't seem to be a huge concern?

OTOH, Mage Armor is a larger concern. It isn't on a short rest spell caster. That specific issue hasn't come up, but if it does I'd just make up something reasonable on the spot. Like maybe make it "spell slot" duration (it lasts until you regain the spell slot), which also works for Hex if needed.

Tony Vargas

Legend
For those of you who have used long rests taking 3 or more days, how did you deal with spell durations.
It depends on the purpose of the change. If the purpose is only to fit the pacing of the campaign, but you want play dynamics to be basically the same, then, sure, any spell duration that'd extend completely through a rest probably needs to be adjusted. Particularly spells that enable a rest. Likewise, anything else that recharges or re-sets, for good or ill, on a 24hr clock would probably need to change to a 1-week clock, to map to the long rest.

If, OTOH, you're trying to change play dynamics, to make the game 'harder,' for instance, then leaving durations alone might be a good idea.

Coroc

Hero
I use short rest a day and long rest a weekend. Sometimes for practical reasons I allow a "5 minute short rest" if e.g. it is clear the party has exhausted their resources and the normal action would be to withdraw and take a short rest in a safe place (if possible) then I handwave things, unless I got a special case making resource management one of the main challenges in the particular session, e.g. party is chasing / chased.

I never though much about those "rely on short rest class" gimmicks, because I do not have players playing that classes. Ok I have a pally in my group but since the frequency of combats is much lower than the 8/day recommended (although much harder sometimes) I do not see the need to alter my base rule.

But OP is right, kudos for thinking about this topic which I was unaware of. I think if I wanted to have both, I either would change rest duration to standard or (less preferable in this case imho) alter spell durations accordingly.

Remove ads