5E 5e Monster Updates: Mythic, Epic, and Hardcore Monsters

imeannoharm

Dorkus
To clarify, I don't mind animals / creatures having bite attacks. But making a standard attack for most humanoids, and the Juton Troll in particular is pretty ridiculous to me. The MM has this problem too.
Probably a replacement so they don't have to come up with more interesting and unique abilities.

dave2008

Legend
Here is my W.I.P General of Gehenna. I don't have many ideas for special attacks or region and lair effects, any suggestions? Of course the lair and regional effects will not be lumped up with abilities in the finished version, but I can't do that yet.
View attachment 126106
That is a good start - thanks! I actually had an idea about the General last night that wraps it into the Oinodaemon. I need to figure out some basic traits for the Archdaemons like I've post for deities (and archdevils and demons in my 5e epic updates) before I start posting the archfiends. But this will be great inspiration! No idea about lair and regional effects at this point.

dave2008

Legend
Probably a replacement so they don't have to come up with more interesting and unique abilities.
I think they do it for ease and don't really think it through. Most humanoids who bite something (and many animals - like big cats) need to get at least some control of the animal before they bite it. That is why I often make a bite either a bonus action if a target is grappled or make the target of the bite need to be a grappled or incapacitated. Or a reaction like:

REACTIONS
Bite.
If a creature ends is turn grappled by the troll, the troll can make a bite attack targeting the grappled creature.

imeannoharm

Dorkus
That is a good start - thanks! I actually had an idea about the General last night that wraps it into the Oinodaemon. I need to figure out some basic traits for the Archdaemons like I've post for deities (and archdevils and demons in my 5e epic updates) before I start posting the archfiends. But this will be great inspiration! No idea about lair and regional effects at this point.
Faces of Evil: The Fiends suggests that the baernoloths are the superiors of the general. They also suggest that the baernoloths are not yugoloths, but their creators, and they are actually some ancient primeval race. That is evidence for my theory that they are some sort of obyrith progenitors/masters! Also the fiendish codex recounts (page 147) that the obyrith lord Bechard claims his people did not originate in the Abyss, but originated elsewhere after abandoning a race of fiendish creators. Someone else actually noticed that too.
Greyhawk wiki: "Sometimes classified as greater yugoloths, baernoloths are actually the primal champions of evil who created the yugoloth and demodand races. "
And in turn, the General created the obyriths and Baatorians.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Faces of Evil: The Fiends suggests that the baernoloths are the superiors of the general. They also suggest that the baernoloths are not yugoloths, but their creators, and they are actually some ancient primeval race. That is evidence for my theory that they are some sort of obyrith progenitors/masters! Also the fiendish codex recounts (page 147) that the obyrith lord Bechard claims his people did not originate in the Abyss, but originated elsewhere after abandoning a race of fiendish creators. Someone else actually noticed that too.
Gretchen wiki: "Sometimes classified as greater yugoloths, baernoloths are actually the primal champions of evil who created the yugoloth and demodand races. "
And in turn, the General created the obyriths and Baatorians.
A lies told by those jealous fiends IMO ;)

That is not the story I use for sure. I pretty much skipped all of the lore in 2e - 3e (when this stuff originated I believe). I pick and choose what I like, but I don't except it as is. Regardless, if I do write any lore it would be very ambiguous and allow for multiple interpretations. I try to weave together the lore of all editions.

For me: Antrhaxus = Oinodaemon = General of Gehenna, and I am thinking his stat block will have two myhtic traits: one called Oinodaemon and one called General of Gehenna.

It is interesting that the description of the baernoloths, is very similar to the description of Anthraxus.

dave2008

Legend
I noticed your Hardcore Klurichir was CR 19, but they are stronger than Balors.
Balor: CR 20
Klurichir: CR 25 (28 in 4e)
A balor was a lvl 27 Elite Brute in 4e (624 HP), the 4e klurichir was a lvl 28 soldier (258 HP). The balor was a much stronger demon in 4e than the klurichir. And that is the way I like it ;) You've just reminded me to make sure I bump the balor up on power when I get to it - thanks!

FYI, I don't personally like it, but the only demons that are routinely strong than balors are molydeus. In 5e the molydeus is CR 21 IIRC. If I had my preference the balor would always be top dog.

For Reference:
4e Balor
1599931270015.png

4e Klurichir:
1599931310560.png

dave2008

Legend
Yuan-ti Cleric of Sseth
Medium monstrosity (shapechanger, yuan-ti), chaotic evil
1599952174297.png

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 82 (15d8 + 15)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
1599952175554.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
14 (+2)12 (+1)13 (+1)16 (+3)20 (+4)14 (+2)
1599952176470.png

Savings Throws Dex +3, Con +3, Wis +6
Skills Arcana +5, Insight +6, Religion +5
Damage Resistances necrotic
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic.
Challenge 3 (7000 XP)
1599952177571.png

Channel Sseth (2/short rest). When the yuan-ti hits a creature with a melee attack, the yuan-ti can choose to add 13 additional necrotic damage to the attack.

Innate Spellcasting (Yuan-ti Form Only). The yuan-ti’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14. +6 to hit with attack spells). The yuan-ti can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: animal friendship (snakes only)
3/day: darkness, suggestion
1/day: fear

Magic Resistance. The yuan-ti has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Quick Coils. When the yuan-ti has a target grappled, it can make a constrict attack as a bonus action.

Shapechanger. The yuan-ti can use its action to polymorph into a Medium snake or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It doesn’t change form if it dies.

Spellcasting. The yuan-ti is a 8th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). The yuan-ti has the following sorcerer spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): guidance, mending, poison spray, resistance, thaumaturgy
1st level (4 slots): bane, false life, ray of sickness
2nd level (3 slots): blindness/deafness, ray of enfeeblement, silence
3rd level (3 slots): animate dead, dispel magic, vampiric touch
4th level (3 slots): banishment, blight, death ward

Sseth's Blessing. The yuan-ti's weapon attacks deal an extra 1d8 poison damage (included in the attack).

ACTIONS
Bite.
Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage and the target must make a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

Shortsword (Yuan-ti Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage, plus 4 (1d8) poison damage.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target grappled by the yuan-ti. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage and the target is grappled (escape DC 12). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained and the yuan-ti can’t constrict another target.

Summon Serpents (1/Day). The magically summons 1d4 giant poisonous snakes. The summoned snakes appear in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of their summoner, act as an allies of their summoner, and follow its commands. The snakes remain until they or their summoner dies, or until the summoner dismisses them as a bonus action.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Archdevil Traits
Archdevils range in power from similar demigods to as might as some intermediate gods and a generally separeated into Dukes and Duchess (CR 17 - 25) and Archdukes and Archduchess (CR 26+). Though each archdevil is a unique lord of hell, they typically have the abilities and traits in the list below. The magnitude of these abilities is determined by the archdevil's CR as described below. These abilities and traits are assumed to be a part of the archdevil's stat block. Specific modifications to these traits and/or additional traits are listed in the individual stat blocks
1599994358422.png

Damage Resistances
  • Duke/Duchess: cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical damage
  • Archduke/Archduchess: cold; rare or lesser magic and nonmagical items
Damage Immunities
  • Duke/Duchess: fire, poison; nonmagical items
  • Archduke/Archduchess: fire, poison; common or lesser magical and nonmagical items
Condition Immunities
  • Duke/Duchess: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
  • Archduke/Archduchess: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, petrified, poisoned
1599994356078.png

Banishment. When an archdevil drops to 0 hit points, its body is destroyed but its essence travels back to its domain, and is unable to take physical form for a time.

Devil's Sight. Magical darkness doesn't impede the archdevil's darkvision.

Infernal Might.
  • Duke/Duchess: The archdevil's attacks and effects ignore the resistances and immunities of creatures CR/ level 10 and below. The archdevil's attacks and effects targeting creatures of CR 11-15 ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistance (condition immunities provide advantage in lieu of immunity).
  • Archduke/Archduchess: The archdevil's attacks and effects ignore the resistances and immunities of creatures CR/ level 15 and below. The archdevil's attacks and effects targeting creatures of CR 16-20 ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistance (condition immunities provide advantage in lieu of immunity).
Infernal Resistance.
  • Duke/Duchess: An archdevil can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage, and end one condition or effect on itself immediately.
  • Archduke/Archduchess: An archdevil can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage per condition or effect, and end up to two conditions or effects on itself immediately.
Innate Spellcasting. Refer to individual entries for an archdevil’s spell casting ability, their save DC, and attack bonus. The archdevil can innately cast the following spells at minimum of level noted, requiring no material components:
  • Duke/Duchess: The archdevil casts innate spells at a minimum of 5th level.
At will: alter self (can become Medium when changing appearance), animate dead, charm person, command, detect magic, fly, message, suggestion
3/day each: detect thoughts, dispel magic, dominate person, fear, telekinesis
1/day each: dominate monster, forbiddance, plane shift (self only), teleport
  • Archduke/Archduchess: The archdevil casts innate spells at a minimum of 6th level.
At will: alter self (can become Medium when changing appearance), animate dead, charm person, command, detect magic, detect thoughts, dispel magic, dominate person, fear, fly, message, suggestion. telekinesis
3/day each: counterspell, dominate monster, forbiddance, nondetection, plane shift (self only), symbol, teleport
1/day each: banishment, feeblemind, mass suggestion, mindblank

Limited Magic Immunity.

• Duke/Duchess: Unless the archdevil wishes to be affected, it is immune to 1st level spells or lower, and it is has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against it has disadvantage on the attack roll.
  • Archduke/Archduchess: Unless the archdevil wishes to be affected, it is immune to spells of 5th level or lower, and it is has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against it has disadvantage on the attack roll. .
Magic Weapons.
  • Duke/Duchess: The archdevil's weapon attacks are considered uncommon magical items.
  • Archduke/Archduchess: The archdevil's weapon attacks are considered rare magical items. items.
ACTIONS
Summon Devils (1/short rest).

• Duke/Duchess: The archdevil summons a number of devils which have a total average hit point value of 500 or less. The devils appear in unoccupied areas within 180 feet of the archdevil.
  • Archduke/Archduchess: The archdevil summons a number of devils which have a total average hit point value of 1,000 or less. The devils appear in unoccupied areas within 240 feet of the archdevil.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Altraloth Traits
Altraloths come in three broad categories: Marshals (CR 20-25), Commanders (CR 26-30), and Generals (CR 31+). Though each altraloth is a unique entity, they generally all have the abilities and traits in the list below for these categories. These abilities and traits are assumed to be a part of the altraloth's stat block. Specific modifications to these traits and/or additional traits are listed in the individual stat blocks
1599994709466.png

Damage Resistances
  • Marshals: cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical damage
  • Commanders: cold, fire, lightning; uncommon or lesser magic and nonmagical items
  • Generals: cold, fire, lightning; rare or lesser magic and nonmagical items
Damage Immunities
  • Marshals & Commanders: acid, poison; nonmagical items
  • Generals: acid, poison; common or lesser magical and nonmagical items
Condition Immunities
  • Marshals: charmed, frightened, poisoned
  • Commanders: charmed, frightened , petrified, poisoned
  • Generals: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, petrified, poisoned
1599994718970.png

Banishment. When an altraloth drops to 0 hit points, its body is destroyed but its essence travels back to its domain, and is unable to take physical form for a time.

Gehenna's Might.
  • Marshals: The altraloth's attacks and effects targeting creatures of CR/ level 10 or below ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistance (condition immunities provide advantage in lieu of immunity).
  • Commanders: The altraloth's attacks and effects ignore the resistances and immunities of creatures CR/ level 10 and below. A greater god's attacks and effects targeting creatures of CR 11-20 ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistance (condition immunities provide advantage in lieu of immunity).
  • Generals: The altraloth's attacks and effects ignore the resistances and immunities of creatures CR/ level 15 and below. The demon prince's attacks and effects targeting creatures of CR 16-25 ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistance (condition immunities provide advantage in lieu of immunity).
Gehenna's Resistance.
  • Marshals & Commanders: The altraloth can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage, and one condition or effect ends for itself.
  • Generals: The altraloth can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage per condition or effect, and up to two conditions or effects end for itself.
Innate Spellcasting. Refer to individual entries for an altraloth’s spell casting ability, their save DC, and attack bonus. The altraloth can innately cast the following spells at minimum of level noted, requiring no material components:
  • Marshals: The altraloth casts innate spells at a minimum of 5th level.
At will: comprehend languages, detect magic, see invisibility,
3/day each: detect thoughts, dispel magic,
1/day each: arcane gate, forbiddance, symbol, teleport
  • Commanders: The altraloth casts innate spells at a minimum of 6th level.
At will:
3/day each:
1/day each:
  • Generals: The altraloth casts innate spells at a minimum of 7th level.
At will:
3/day each:
1/day each:

Limited Magic Immunity.
  • Marshals: Unless the altraloth wishes to be affected, it is immune to 1st level spells or lower, and it is has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against it has disadvantage on the attack roll.
  • Commanders: Unless the altraloth wishes to be affected, it is immune to spells of 5th level or lower, and it is has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against it has disadvantage on the attack roll. .
  • Generals: Unless the altraloth wishes to be affected, it is immune to spells of 6th level or lower, and it is has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against it has disadvantage on the attack roll. .
Magic Weapons.
  • Marshals: The altraloth's weapon attacks are considered uncommon magical items.
  • Commanders: The altraloth's weapon attacks are considered rare magical items.
  • Generals: The altraloth's weapon attacks are considered very rare magical items.
ACTIONS
Summon Fiends (1/short rest).

• Marshals: The altraloth summons a number of yugoloths which have a total average hit point value of 500 or less, or it has a 50% chance to successfully summon half as many demons or devils. The summoned creatures appear in unoccupied spaces within 240 feet of the altraloth.
  • Commanders: The altraloth summons a number of yugoloths which have a total average hit point value of 1,000 or less, or it has a 60% chance to successfully summon half as many demons or devils. The summoned creatures appear in unoccupied spaces within 240 feet of the altraloth.
  • Generals: The altraloth summons a number of yugoloths which have a total average hit point value of 1,500 or less, or it has a 70% chance to successfully summon half as many demons or devils. The summoned creatures appear in unoccupied spaces within 240 feet of the altraloth.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Demon Lord Traits
Demon Lords come in three broad categories: Vassals (CR 20-25), Lords (CR 26-30), and Nobles (CR 31+). Though each demon lord is a unique entity, they generally all have the abilities and traits in the list below for these categories. These abilities and traits are assumed to be a part of the demon lord's stat block. Specific modifications to these traits and/or additional traits are listed in the individual stat blocks
1599994742199.png

Damage Resistances
  • Vassals: cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical damage
  • Lords: cold, fire, lightning; uncommon or lesser magic and nonmagical items
  • Nobles: cold, fire, lightning; rare or lesser magic and nonmagical items
Damage Immunities
  • Vassals & Lords: poison; nonmagical items
  • Nobles: poison; common or lesser magical and nonmagical items
Condition Immunities
  • Vassals: charmed, frightened, poisoned
  • Lords: charmed, exhaustion, frightened , poisoned
  • Nobles: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, petrified, poisoned
1599994747270.png

Abyssal Might.
  • Vassals: The demon lords's attacks and effects ignore the resistances and immunities of creatures CR/ level 10 and below. A demon lord's attacks and effects targeting creatures of CR 11-15 ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistance (condition immunities provide advantage in lieu of immunity).
  • Lords: The demon lord's attacks and effects ignore the resistances and immunities of creatures CR/ level 15 and below. A greater god's attacks and effects targeting creatures of CR 16-20 ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistance (condition immunities provide advantage in lieu of immunity).
  • Nobles: The demon lord's attacks and effects ignore the resistances and immunities of creatures CR/ level 20 and below. The demon prince's attacks and effects targeting creatures of CR 21-25 ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistance (condition immunities provide advantage in lieu of immunity).
Abyssal Resistance.
  • Vassals & Lords: A demon lord can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage, and end one condition or effect on itself immediately.
  • Nobles: A demon lord can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage per condition or effect, and end up to two conditions or effects on itself immediately.
Banishment. When a demon lord drops to 0 hit points, its body is destroyed but its essence travels back to its domain, and is unable to take physical form for a time.

Innate Spellcasting. Refer to individual entries for an demon lord’s spell casting ability, their save DC, and attack bonus. The demon lord can innately cast the following spells at minimum of level noted, requiring no material components:
  • Vassals: The demon lord casts innate spells at a minimum of 5th level.
At will: darkness, detect magic, see invisibility,
3/day each: dispel magic, fear, telekinesis
1/day each: bane, symbol (insanity or pain), teleport
  • Lords: The demon lord casts innate spells at a minimum of 6th level.
At will: comprehend languages, darkness, detect magic, dispel magic, fear, telekinesis
3/day each: bane, forbiddance, symbol (insanity or pain), teleport
1/day each: elemental bane, plane shift (self only), teleport

• Nobles: The demon lord casts innate spells at a minimum of 7th level.
At will: bane, comprehend languages, darkness, detect magic, detect thoughts, dispel magic, fear, telekinesis
3/day each: elemental bane, forbiddance, plane shift (self only), symbol
1/day each: gate, mind blank, power word pain, power word kill

Limited Magic Immunity.

• Vassals: Unless the demon lord wishes to be affected, it is immune to 1st level spells or lower, and it is has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against it has disadvantage on the attack roll.
  • Lords: Unless the demon lord wishes to be affected, it is immune to spells of 5th level or lower, and it is has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against it has disadvantage on the attack roll. .
  • Nobles: Unless the demon lord wishes to be affected, it is immune to spells of 6th level or lower, and it is has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against it has disadvantage on the attack roll. .

Magic Weapons.
  • Vassals: The demon lord's weapon attacks are considered rare magical items.
  • Lords: The demon lord's weapon attacks are considered very rare magical items.
  • Nobles: The demon lord's weapon attacks are considered legendary magical items.
ACTIONS
Summon Demons (1/short rest).

• Vassals: The demon lord summons a number of demons with a total average hit point value of 500 or less which appear in unoccupied spaces within 120 feet of it.
  • Lords: The demon lord summons a number of demons with a total average hit point value of 1.000 or less which appear in unoccupied spaces within 180 feet of it.
  • Nobles: The demon lord summons a number of demons with a total average hit point value of 1,500 or less which appear in unoccupied spaces within 240 feet of it.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I have added the traits for the Achfiends:
These a still drafts really. I would love to get some feedback. In particular I am looking for advice on common spells for innate casting. Right now all the archfiends have the same list and I don't want that to be the case.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Epic Damage By Ability Score Table

Weapon Size (space):Strength Required:Damage:
Medium101[w]
Large162[w]
Huge213[w]
Gargantuan254[w]
Colossal (25x25)285[w]
30x30306[w]
35x35318[w]